Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Re - Reverend
Saw a guy playing a jtv last summer. He didn't make it all the way through the first song before he switched to the exact same model you have shown. Apparently he didn't like the way the output levels dropped off for different modelled guitars on the jtv.

I can't say for recent Rev's the original American made ones where outstanding and reasonably priced. I can remember when you could get a brand new Rocco for about 600 US
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

F*ck it, I'm building my next guitar :roll: :hihi:

Tell us all about it.

Will it be a warmouth parts guitar?

I'm always looking for my jb player. The original made in america brand jb player model one. It was a hss strat type body with a neck-thru design and fake kahler trem. That had to have been the thinnest neck I'd ever played on. Action was amazing but the output was low. I was going to upgrade the pickups to dimarzio or seymour duncan but never had the chance. I look for that same model everywhere. I've yet to see it show up on any search engines. I've seen a lot of the SSS versions online but never the hss version that I had.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Well, it would be a "parts guitar" for sure; I have no interest in sculpting a neck or guitar body. The thing is, I know exactly the types of woods and profiles, after playing for so long, that I prefer. It just makes sense to build it custom to my preferences:

Strat-style body: alder, chambered, with an f-hole at the top
"Slab board" rosewood fingerboard on rock maple neck (C-shape) with compound radius 9-16 inch
Custom shop Fender "Abigail 69" neck and middle pickups
Custom shop Seymour Duncan P-Rails in bridge (Alnico 2 magnet with vintage wiring -- less wraps for lower output)
5-way switch (with separate toggle switch for parallel and series combination on P-Rails)
Low-friction volume knob with transparent taper on rolloff (i.e. no tone loss when turning down)
2 tone knobs that control neck-middle and bridge pup respectively; one with push-pull for bridge-neck pickup combination
Switchcraft input jack
Color should be all-natural wood with stain and gun oil neck finish (think: Nuno's N4 guitar); I want the wood to breathe as much as possible
Bone nut (not sure what neck width/string spacing yet)
Medium-jumbo frets
"Stop tail" stainless steel bridge with brass saddles
Tortoise-shell pickguard
Contoured neck heel

There are a few issues with this build:

1. It will be expensive!
2. The return on investment, if I ever wanted to sell it, would be horrible.
3. I would be taking a gamble on whether or not I would actually like it, after I played with it for a while
4. I have limited skills with the soldering iron :lol:

I would love to own a 60s or 70s strat.

I have recorded several of them and they just sound right to my ears.
Except when someone pulls out the original pickups and replaces them with something that sounds modern.
(Why would you do that?) :scared:

Rich, if you need any help at all give me a shout...we do have the DIY forum here...you're right about the resale value but the is a silver ling...if times ever get really tough there's no reason the sell your guitar. The guitar that I have owned the longest and is still playing (not cannibalized for parts) is my Warmoth strat...my newest guitar is a Warmoth Baritone that built over a 3 year year period...originally I stared with a squier tel and a warmoth baritone neck and used that as a breadboard, I swapped out pups and once I had the cash I got a Warmoth body...got any project guitars aroud? Start with a Warmoth neck, worse case scenario you sell the neck on ebay if you dont like it and then go from there :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

PatchAdamz wrote:I would love to own a 60s or 70s strat.

I have recorded several of them and they just sound right to my ears.
Except when someone pulls out the original pickups and replaces them with something that sounds modern.
(Why would you do that?) :scared:
I know a guy who took a black 1972 Fender Tele Custom, modified it so it could have a humbucker in the bridge, put a Kahler Tremolo system in it and even routed the body so with the big pickguard he could move the volume knob (well one of them) near the strings like a strat...but he's a :nutter:...he has to modify just about every guitar I...oops I mean he gets :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

blueman wrote:Well, it would be a "parts guitar" for sure; I have no interest in sculpting a neck or guitar body. The thing is, I know exactly the types of woods and profiles, after playing for so long, that I prefer. It just makes sense to build it custom to my preferences:

Strat-style body: alder, chambered, with an f-hole at the top
"Slab board" rosewood fingerboard on rock maple neck (C-shape) with compound radius 9-16 inch
Custom shop Fender "Abigail 69" neck and middle pickups
Custom shop Seymour Duncan P-Rails in bridge (Alnico 2 magnet with vintage wiring -- less wraps for lower output)
5-way switch (with separate toggle switch for parallel and series combination on P-Rails)
Low-friction volume knob with transparent taper on rolloff (i.e. no tone loss when turning down)
2 tone knobs that control neck-middle and bridge pup respectively; one with push-pull for bridge-neck pickup combination
Switchcraft input jack
Color should be all-natural wood with stain and gun oil neck finish (think: Nuno's N4 guitar); I want the wood to breathe as much as possible
Bone nut (not sure what neck width/string spacing yet)
Medium-jumbo frets
"Stop tail" stainless steel bridge with brass saddles
Tortoise-shell pickguard
Contoured neck heel

There are a few issues with this build:

1. It will be expensive!
2. The return on investment, if I ever wanted to sell it, would be horrible.
3. I would be taking a gamble on whether or not I would actually like it, after I played with it for a while
4. I have limited skills with the soldering iron :lol:
If you've got down what you want that specifically, I think you'll lean towards doing it :)

Hink wrote:Rich, if you need any help at all give me a shout...we do have the DIY forum here...
Thanks, Hink! :tu:

Re: Samick's, I have one here which I am sorting out for someone (Stripping it, full deep clean and setup, Possibly news pick ups and some modifications to the electronics). I will have to find or buy an SD card for my digital camera even though the camera isn't great as this one has to be seen. I won't even begin to try and describe it other than it is a super strat type, HSS pickup config, Gold Floyd and other gold f!!king hardware and the most OTT finish I have personally seen in person. So yeah as soon as either find an SD card or get chance to grab one at a shop I'll share this 'delightful' and 'tasteful' 80's reeking Samick. I call it or have dubbed it 'the golden eagle' and it'll make sense when seen :lol: In its favour it plays good despite cosmetics

If you are after the thinnest neck Mike, You really might want to track down a Maverick F1 (If you want a Floyd or Kahler) or the F4 if you don't, Even more slinky than Ibanez's most slinky, Bolt-on job also (maple with rosewood board, 25.5" scale) which would allow you to put it on any body you like too FWIW man

Rich, Sounds good and looking forwards to hearing/seeing how your build goes dude

Big man :hugs: to all as always :D

Dean

Thanks,,,

Is it the Samick Artist? Deep sculpted horns sort of like this
http://www.guitar-museum.com/uploads/gu ... 7323-1.jpg

I had one with all gold hardware Mahogany body with a laminate top.

I think about Blues Scareno Samick TV20
http://www.plaidmouth.com/wp-content/up ... 5-Copy.jpg

Dammit, changed my mind again.

I want a box. I want a nice wide jazz box I'm a jazz guitarist for crimminy sake. I saw this one today. And am really impressed with it.
The problem is ...It's one of a kind, not like I can scour youtube vids for reviews.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tapper mike wrote:Thanks,,,

Is it the Samick Artist? Deep sculpted horns sort of like this
http://www.guitar-museum.com/uploads/gu ... 7323-1.jpg

I had one with all gold hardware Mahogany body with a laminate top.

I think about Blues Scareno Samick TV20
http://www.plaidmouth.com/wp-content/up ... 5-Copy.jpg
Oh no, no this is severely special and just so wrong, It has a full eagle image on the body carved in and coloured over a minty green finish. Works just can't explain it. Pictures I promise soon

Wow, that was really enjoyable!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”