Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hibidy,

It's time to start building / rebuilding your own.

If you don't have the space, find a place to rent (don't sign till you have something to work with) Scour the pawn shops, and garage sales. Find the tone that you can love on a body that's dead and learn how to refinish it. You already know the basics (wiring , setup) Finish ( I used to be a professional industrial painter) isn't that hard, it just takes patience.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

blueman wrote:
The price tag of $7,777.77 Is a gratuitous example of how obscene and vulgar the arbitrary pricing of high-end guitars has become. There's no meaning to it, whatsoever! The prices are just jacked up to see how much people will pay. I'm starting to discover, guitars in the price range of $300 to $1200 are where the sweet spot is. I'm suspicious of paying any more than that :shrug:
This of course is what I have been saying for over a decade here at KvR and it just keeps getting worse...naturally it's not just guitars. I hear so many people blast MIM Fender guitars, well this guy would rather pay less for a MIM, but a neck from Warmoth (around 200) and tweak/mod/replace everything else. This is easier for me though because I do not hang out with other musicians, very few people have ever touched my guitars let alone know what guitar I played on a song. (rarely does anyone even ask)

My ESP LTD FR-350 is Made in China, it was 600 bux when I bought it, it has a very nice neck (which is good because it's a neck-thru and I cant replace it), really nice looking guitar with nice binding and it simply is my go to guitar (especially if I need a guitar with a whammy). I love my Ibanez, but tbh I like the Warmoth Wizard neck over the Ibanez becasue the neck width is a little wider and I prefer the floyd rose over the ibby edge pro*. I love my Jackson Kelly, but it's like putting an aircraft carrier in my lap. (both of those are so called higher end guitars than my FR-350)

Sadly it's going to get worse, maybe people should start trying guitars out with a blindfold on instead of being blinded by the status symbol value :shrug:

*my issue with the ibby whammy is easy to resolve, I prefer the bar on the FR than on the ibby...not the rest of the system, just the bar. I dont like the height of the bar and I do not like the snap in type bar that ibby is. However this is an easy mod if it bothered me enough...which it doesn't
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Uncle E wrote:
It'd be awesome if that was a used guitar that got that way from actual playing. I've always liked those while JEM's but I'm afraid of getting a counterfeit. Anyway, the Bad Horsie is my favorite.

there are countless 'alternate source' gem bodies on ebay :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

tapper mike wrote:Hibidy,
Tapper - I have just finished acquiring all the parts to upgrade my Squier Tele wJazzmaster neck PU. My problem is that I don't have the time to do the luthier work - gonna take it over to my tech & I'll post pix when completed

btw - I read that you also hava Korean Parker p44 - I have a grey/green P42 that I've modded slightly and freakin love for leads

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

My next git is a 1959 Gibson 125 TD. Buying it from a friend. Life is good. :party:

hibidy wrote:I've always wanted a Suhr

They have a used one down here, at my little GC but they still want 1599 for it which isn't in the cards (literally or figuratively) So, I'm kinda scared to play it (it's in the case)

Ah well, prolly the closest I'll ever be to one.
Is this a picture of the $1,599 one at your local GC? If so, that's a tremendous deal, that guitar should fetch around $3K on eBay.

Anyway, I think you should play it, just so you'll know if your gear lusting is warranted. You may find that your Carvin holds it own against it. My 80's Carvin had an amazing neck.

Mister Natural wrote:
tapper mike wrote:Hibidy,
Tapper - I have just finished acquiring all the parts to upgrade my Squier Tele wJazzmaster neck PU. My problem is that I don't have the time to do the luthier work - gonna take it over to my tech & I'll post pix when completed

btw - I read that you also hava Korean Parker p44 - I have a grey/green P42 that I've modded slightly and freakin love for leads

peace

Yep, same here on the parker (mine is a natural mahogany)

Also tech/luthier. (I have the time just not the skills or tools)
Sometimes I wish I had a tech like...Koontz only cheaper. Actually his work is worth every penny. I just don't have that type of cash laying around.

Re MIM, MIC, MIK.
Dollar for dollar MIK's are a far superior instrument. Part of the reason is ...they make a decent wage. Which is the same reason why even Korean brands are outsourcing to Indonesia, China, India, Burma. My MIM Tele is far superior to my MIC but it lacks the finishing touches that a MIK would bring. I remember when Joe Naylor got out of the amp business and got into the guitar biz. American made Reverends going for about $600 new. I've also got an american made Godin freeway that cost about the same. The neck is flawless. The finish is damn good but not out of this world. With the advent of modern technology it's actually cheaper to build the same quality guitars that were built here in the US today then the day I bought many of my guitars. However, manufactuer's want to jack customers and don't want to re invest in the technology at home.

Americans as consumers (including myself) are also part of the problem
People will walk into a local store, try a guitar out that has been prepped by the store. Then,,, walk out and buy the same guitar online from a cash cow distributor. When they get the guitar they either expect the disappointment or they aren't concious of the difference.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Uncle E wrote:
hibidy wrote:I've always wanted a Suhr

They have a used one down here, at my little GC but they still want 1599 for it which isn't in the cards (literally or figuratively) So, I'm kinda scared to play it (it's in the case)

Ah well, prolly the closest I'll ever be to one.
Is this a picture of the $1,599 one at your local GC? If so, that's a tremendous deal, that guitar should fetch around $3K on eBay.

Anyway, I think you should play it, just so you'll know if your gear lusting is warranted. You may find that your Carvin holds it own against it. My 80's Carvin had an amazing neck.
I don't think it's exactly the same. Yeah, I might swing over for a play today.

At rolling my own: I'm not a do it yourself kinda guy. Everything I touch in that way goes to shit, and I'm not willing to be time/effort into learning. You won't save any money and the trail/error aspect isn't desirable at all.

I've priced out Warmoth stuff and it's expensive. Then you have to put it together. A couple of people that seem to know what they are talking about over at sevenstring have said the necks need a level/dressing when you get them. I do not currently know of a tech guy I can trust.

So, It's on to lusting about built guitars.....

Forgot to say, I'll go the Carvin route again if I want a built guitar. Mine is ridiculously well built.

I'm just looking for something to lay ideas down with and sounds better than samples. Anyone know anything about these? http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Bullet-Str ... B004B8IKO0

tapper mike wrote:With the advent of modern technology it's actually cheaper to build the same quality guitars that were built here in the US today then the day I bought many of my guitars. However, manufactuer's want to jack customers and don't want to re invest in the technology at home.
The part I'm finding to be challenging is the finish. CNC's and Plek's bring down the costs of everything else.
Americans as consumers (including myself) are also part of the problem
People will walk into a local store, try a guitar out that has been prepped by the store. Then,,, walk out and buy the same guitar online from a cash cow distributor. When they get the guitar they either expect the disappointment or they aren't concious of the difference.
It's a little easier with companies that use Plek's since there's good consistency in those cases. AXL is an interesting case, they probably vary wildly in sound since Chinese factories aren't very choosy about the woods they use but I bet they play consistently well. edit - Never mind about AXL, I was wrong about them using Plek's. On a positive note, it seems that their USA line really is USA-made, they told me they press in every fret by hand in their California factory.

arkmabat wrote:I'm just looking for something to lay ideas down with and sounds better than samples. Anyone know anything about these? http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Bullet-Str ... B004B8IKO0
For lower priced instruments, I'm personally a big fan of used PRS SE's. My single cut soapbar SE cost me about $200 and compares favorably next to American Gibson's. I like their korina models, too.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

my old guitar and an old bass...from mid 90s...this is the Kramer Ritchie Sambora I talked about in the budget guitar thread...it hasn't been assembled in years. The Floyd Rose is in one of my ESP LTDs as is one of the pups...trust me it played well enough to make it worth putting up with the color :hihi: btw the bass is a very cheap Lyons bass that I gave my alter ego a very generous trade for when I worked in retail :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”