Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Crap! There are two Squier Tele Customs with P90s used at Musicians Friend for $205!! I could grab one and swap the pickups with Rio Grande P90s...

Must.. not.. buy.. another... GGGGEEETTARRRRRRR!!!! :cry: :cry: :help: :help: :help:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

I get so excited about the dumbest little things :hyper: Nope, not a gueetar but I like bumping this thread for everyone :)

by accident I got set of 10-52's and tried them on Rosy.... :wheee: Was able to tighten the truss a bit and MY GOD, the huge tone w/o the rattlyness. I know, I was an idiot to try downtuning with 9's in the first place, but still.......it's really cool!

I went from 9-42's to 9-46's for the trem/standard tuning guit's and it's like :o More sustain even on the high strings (which I really don't get at all since they are the same gauge) and they tune better. I guess it's a tension thing.

Also, I'm talking with Circle K strings and looks like maybe for bass it's a good idea to stop using girly strings. I'm using really light strings on my 5 and my Jazz 4 and it might be best to use their balanced sets which are light for the high strings and THICK for the low. Instead of 40/60/80/100/120 for example, 39/55/73/98 BUT a 130 for the B (which is tapered) Prices for them are pretty good. I think though I'll just get some D'adarrios' for the fretless down the street. I don't know if tapered would be good for fretless. Will research further.

anyways, that's my "new guitar".........making what I have more fab with strings!

*warning* hibidy changes his mind on strings A LOT and will prolly have something new to add at some time in the future :)

Oh yeah- heavier strings make a world of difference as far as tone goes :D

The lightest strings I use are .010-.046, and that's only on my doubleneck and the Les Paul I use as a synth controller. I use .010-.052 on my other trem equipped guitars, and .011-.056 on my Les Paul Special. I also have higher action than most people like, but that's how you get the fat tone.

ew
A spectral heretic...

If I hadn't had my contract un-renewed :) I was going to get a glissentar http://www.godinguitars.com/godinglissentarp.htm Most likely I'll be losing a guitar rather than gaining one :(

re strings - My favourites for electric were Thomastik-Infeld - the flat wound swing series. I have a very light touch on guitar, pretty much as light as I can be. But depended on the guitar and what sort of music I was playing. For heavy use of the whammy bar and prepared guitar type stuff I would use much lighter strings. Also for something like this solo guitar + DSP piece you need light strings for the sustainer on the Jackson to really work https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/looking-down
Last edited by woggle on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Just picked up a 2nd hand schecter 7string.. Wow, really nice to play.. I'm no nu-metal type guy, the low string ads some nice funk for bass lines tho

@ heavier strings: Yeah, I know it's a no-brainer but I DO have infant sized hands which is why I was just going with 9-42's :oops: The really heavy strings on "Rosy" are cool because it's a half step down/drop D (or drop C#??)

@7 String: Cool!

@Thomastik Infield: Man, the set I want to try on bass............100USD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, even for me it's too rich for my blood!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I tried restringing my BRAND F....G NEW fretless.........the f**king nut came off :x :bang: :tantrum: :cry:

I put some super glue on and restrung it.......the nut fit perfectly back on. Wow. That's a pisser!!!!!!!

hibidy wrote:@ heavier strings: Yeah, I know it's a no-brainer but I DO have infant sized hands which is why I was just going with 9-42's :oops: The really heavy strings on "Rosy" are cool because it's a half step down/drop D (or drop C#??)
I almost always tune my 6 string guitars down a tone (at least). I prefer the sound, I prefer being able to bend easier and with more subtlety eg finger pressure bends seem more pronounced. At the lower tension the heavy strings are not so ... resistant. But as I don't play live - and haven't played other than to record for years - I usually tune for the specific part or piece eg this piece is all about the relationship between finger geometry and tuning https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/three-and-two-final

Trippy! So, was that a group of parts put together?

woggle wrote:
hibidy wrote:@ heavier strings: Yeah, I know it's a no-brainer but I DO have infant sized hands which is why I was just going with 9-42's :oops: The really heavy strings on "Rosy" are cool because it's a half step down/drop D (or drop C#??)
I almost always tune my 6 string guitars down a tone (at least). I prefer the sound, I prefer being able to bend easier and with more subtlety eg finger pressure bends seem more pronounced. At the lower tension the heavy strings are not so ... resistant. But as I don't play live - and haven't played other than to record for years - I usually tune for the specific part or piece eg this piece is all about the relationship between finger geometry and tuning https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/three-and-two-final
I like Am (EAEACE) and Gm (1 whole step lower) tunings because they are crossnote tunings, one finger and the minor turns into the major keeping both close to the open major tuning. I prefer to tune my 24 fret guitars down to the Gm and the others tuned up to the Am. If I'm going to gain fingerboard real estate I prefer to gain it on the bottom end as opposed to being able to go higher. As it stands now (and not by design) all my 24 fret guitars except my baritone have a Floyd Rose's on them, one is tuned to Dm while the other two are both Gm. They can roar when I want them to :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

hibidy wrote:Trippy! So, was that a group of parts put together?
yeah - I played 6 parts - three shapes by two tunings (or maybe the other way around, I can't actually remember) :) I don't think I listened to the other parts as I played

Then I mixed the 6 tracks - mainly taking out bits I didn't like, but also a bit of shifting bits around. And probably a bit of eq, reverb and compression. I'm a big one for drastically eq-ing out low or high frequencies to get the right guitar sound in the mix

And keep in mind the tunings used in this piece are not in any deliberate way related to standard pitches. I do other tuning stuff for fretless where the notes (fret positions) are derived from the width of the performers fingers mapped onto the fretboard for instance
Last edited by woggle on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, that is a very interesting piece. My stuff.....UNINTERESTING! :lol:

Hink wrote:...If I'm going to gain fingerboard real estate I prefer to gain it on the bottom end as opposed to being able to go higher.
man I agree with that for sure

hibidy wrote:My stuff.....UNINTERESTING! :lol:
talking it up :D

hibidy wrote:Yeah, that is a very interesting piece.
damn! can't find my screenshot of the year I made 1c in sales of music :lol:

found it ! https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-b1dv ... sicPro.jpg

Ian B wrote:
Dean Aka Nekro wrote:Eric mate no problems :)

Ian, That is exactly what I mean also/should of elaborated on further. What are these shops going to be able to do for a customer whom requires more than just something out of the box? How are they going to deal with simple restrings to repairs? They are not; They will be sending it off. Its one big shit sandwich. Like yourself it does not affect me but for alot of people including the folk whom have been doing in-house basic checks to full on overhauling amplifiers and the like...Well all I can see is a really half-baked service, Only one step more blind than buying off the internet (That step being having a chance to try out whatever it is first - Yep the most crucial part but still a proper quality buying experience/package is alot more than just that). It will backfire/setting themselves up for failure to earn abit more profit/cut overheads?, Over here the likes of Hugh Manson's and Charlie Chandler's will be held in such high regard for offering that full package if you will: Customer service (Well as I am used to it/Like it) plus alot of the custom builders/modification places getting alot more business (and being able to charge far more for it as there will simply not be any alternatives for many). Madness mate, Madness!

All the best to you both gents

Dean
At one point Dean, I'm pretty sure every guitar on show/sold thro' this chain of shops had been thro' his hands to get the best general setup, while still leaving room for additional tweaking, ie lower action, should the buyer require it.

With factory setups being so poor generally, it was a win-win situation for everyone, a potential customer could try a perfectly playable guitar rather than one with a action you could drive a bus under, so why this company has become so short sighted as to think this isn't necessary any more is total stupidity on their part and will surely cost them in lost sales. Even keeping him on but not setting all the guitars up makes sense as they'd have a good in house tech to recommend.
robojam wrote:Unfortunately I think the luthiers that survive are the ones that work for the big chain stores, and they know that their audience is undescerning for the most part. Based on what I have heard that's true around here at least.
The tech I'm talking about worked for one of, if not the biggest, chain of music stores in the North of England. It's almost certain he offered two levels of service, a basic setup for guitars in the stores and a fuller setup for his private clients. If that was the case it'll be down to the time allowed for each guitar by the stores, and more importantly, the amount of cash they allowed per guitar.
It's taken some time, but my now part-time tech called and picked the guitars up this morning, all being well I should have them back in a few days. It might seem a long wait from when I asked him to do the work, but I was in no rush as my broken shoulder, at least the muscles, are still giving me problems so guitar playing has been pretty sporadic at best.
RIP Black Tom and Beckett. They weren't just cats, they were MY cats, the best cats ever.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”