Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:Biggest problem is sharp fret edges and inconsistent fret level.
Exactly! It seems it doesn't matter how expensive a guitar is, manufacturers these days can't get the fret wires right. Anyone who's played an old Gibson in original condition from the late 50's to the very early 60's will know exactly what I'm talking about. Especially if the instrument had binding on the neck. Plus, back then they knew how to shape and finish the wire itself; a nice crescent moon shape, perfectly consistent in height and polished to a gloss finish. I'd like to make a call out to all modern manufacturers: Why is this so damn hard to do?!

rcat wrote:
hibidy wrote:Biggest problem is sharp fret edges and inconsistent fret level.
Exactly! It seems it doesn't matter how expensive a guitar is, manufacturers these days can't get the fret wires right. Anyone who's played an old Gibson in original condition from the late 50's to the very early 60's will know exactly what I'm talking about. Especially if the instrument had binding on the neck. Plus, back then they knew how to shape and finish the wire itself; a nice crescent moon shape, perfectly consistent in height and polished to a gloss finish. I'd like to make a call out to all modern manufacturers: Why is this so damn hard to do?!
well actually the truth is that more and more work on frets is being done with a Plek Machine...in fact I think Uncle E has one or is planning on getting one. In the 50s and 60s we had craftsmen making guitars, hand leveling frets but then mass production guitars started coming from factories all over the world...machines do not know how a guitar 'feels', craftsmanship has been replaced by quantity of guitars they can get out there.

Of course also some people may be a bit more picky about these things when they buy a guitar, I find it amazing how many people think the guitar should be set up proper for them from the factory. IMHO part of learning to play a guitar is learning how to set it up, for instance it's likely that you will need to adjust your truss rod at one point or another (unless it's a double like the Warmoth which hardly ever or even less often need attention). Fret files, feeler gauges, a small bastard file (fine), guitar tuner, truss rod wrench and allen wrenches should be close at hand as well as the skills to use them (I wont even go into soldering, but if you play electric guitars :shrug: )...if you ask me there is less of an excuse for the player today thanx to youtube.

That's not to let the guitar companies off the hook but you named a company considered by many to be at the top, imo they traded quality for quantity when they reached the top of the heap (how many more times will they re-invent the less paul). They charge more and the quality is less...I really do not see how that can surprise anyone these days...if you want them to build nice guitars perfectly set up I guess they would have to charge more (like say in their 'custom shop'), but people seem to care more about then name (or names when it comes to signature series)...though I caught hell for it when I was 12 I still think one of the best things I ever did with my first electric was to take it apart the first day I bought it...too many guitar players just do not want to learn these things. Take a locking nut for instance, it's really not that hard but they scare the hell out of people and once again with youtube it just does not make sense.

So you can get the message to these companies, but it wont do any good...pride and craftsmanship has been long replaced my friend by the all mighty dollar...but then if you want something done right, diy :D

BTW also keep in mind there are very few of us who have played new Gibsons from the late 50s and early 60s...most of the ones we get to play are well broken in and may have been to the luthier many, many times...who knows how they felt when they left the factory :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:The 8-String that the one and only Uncle E would no doubt be drawn towards if going for another Ibanez.
Thank you for thinking I'm manly enough to tackle that one. ;)

I'm drawn to them, yes, but I won't be rocking Tosin Abasi licks anytime soon. ;)

rcat wrote:Exactly! It seems it doesn't matter how expensive a guitar is, manufacturers these days can't get the fret wires right. Anyone who's played an old Gibson in original condition from the late 50's to the very early 60's will know exactly what I'm talking about. Especially if the instrument had binding on the neck. Plus, back then they knew how to shape and finish the wire itself; a nice crescent moon shape, perfectly consistent in height and polished to a gloss finish. I'd like to make a call out to all modern manufacturers: Why is this so damn hard to do?!
Manufacturers that use the Plek machines, such as Gibson (only for their highest-end models), Suhr, and AXL, won't have this problem. Also, I've had extremely good luck with stainless steel frets.

Hink wrote:well actually the truth is that more and more work on frets is being done with a Plek Machine...in fact I think Uncle E has one or is planning on getting one. In the 50s and 60s we had craftsmen making guitars, hand leveling frets but then mass production guitars started coming from factories all over the world...machines do not know how a guitar 'feels', craftsmanship has been replaced by quantity of guitars they can get out there.
Agreed. The one thing that CNC and Plek machines provide is consistency, which is more important now in this world of internet sales than it was 20 years ago. For every great vintage Fender or Gibson I've played, I've played about as many that were not-so-great or even just plain bad.

I don't have a Plek machine yet but we are planning to get one on lease soon. I'm happy to report that our guitars were received very well at NAMM this year and I'm hoping we get an interview with Premier Guitar at Summer NAMM. :)

Download SOphist wrote:i'm gonna buy me a selmer / maccaferri model jazz clone, probably a gitane d-500 ( http://www.thomann.de/pt/gitane_dg500.htm ).
Man - that thing is gorgeous - I love the deco style - unbelievable! 8)
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

I'm having some serious debate issues going on.

-Telecaster Blacktop HH - The tele I've always dreamed of.
-Schecter PT - just a slightly edgier sound with coil taps.

-Kala UBass - Havent played a bass in years and years, though I'll often pull up virtual basses on my ztar.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:-Telecaster Blacktop HH - The tele I've always dreamed of.

Uncle E wrote:
tapper mike wrote:-Telecaster Blacktop HH - The tele I've always dreamed of.
Are you buying? Cuz not in my financial future!

hibidy wrote:Are you buying? Cuz not in my financial future!
Half the fun is in the dreaming. ;)

Well I'm going to shoot myself come months end but I bought the blackface tele.
Candy Apple Red W' maple fretboard. Modern C shape neck 9.5 radius jumbo frets. Alnico 5 vintage hot humbuckers.

Looks like I get to brush up on my Ed Bickert and Ted Greene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCnT8prUqFY
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Not one of these

Guitarnado.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

So my tele arrived two days early.

It's cold as hell, I know it's sub zero outside but it seems like ups went the extra mile and stored it in a sub zero freezer. I'm waiting till the thing is at room temperture to start playing it.

So the update is.

I'm going to have to spend some time on setup as expected. The intonation wasn't set and the action is a little high for my liking. The relief seems about right.

I cannot believe how big this thing sounds for a telecaster even with humbuckers. It's fuller and slightly warmer then what I've heard on youtube videos but that may be thier amp and settings as opposed to mine. The neck pickup is more "edgey" then I expected. It still has great body. Which is odd to me as it's sporting 9's I plan to go up only slightly to 10's.

The wieght feels heavier by about two pounds then the rondo I aquired (not sure about the specs) Apparently manufacturers don't agree about what a "C" neck should be from model to model or year to year even in the same company. This is by far the one of the thickest "C" neck I've ever played. It's also wider then most guitars I've played. I'm not complaining. I'm loving bending notes on this neck with it's 9.5 radius and medium jumbo frets. The frets "seem" to be set lower then other medium jumbos I've encountered in the last 30 years. It feels pretty close to a 77 american standard strat. I had many many years ago.

I don't see pics :uhuhuh:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”