Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't played a carvin in ages. Today I was drawn to the carvin video website. Very pretty guitars... the 575 (jazz box) is for crap to my ears. The CT (prs) looks amazing and sounds amazing.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Slightly OT, but I just replaced my first guitar string. Feels good. Did it on the Seagull Coastline Folk which I bought for my wife for Christmas. Purdy.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagull_c ... _folk.html

Oh! I really like that.
Yep- my next guitar-

Seagull steel string acoustic-
not a dreadnought, ... which I already have (an Epiphone)

No semi acoustic wiring.
Will peruse Seagull's site now and come back with my choice.
I want a smaller body coz my dreadnought is bloody terrible ergonomically.
Thanks for reminding me of them mate.

re string changes- I find I replace them when I break them. New ones have more treble/clarity, but old ones sound fine IMO. It's not hard to change them, just time consuming I think. Well done popping ur cherry!

Hink wrote:my old guitar and an old bass...from mid 90s...this is the Kramer Ritchie Sambora I talked about in the budget guitar thread...it hasn't been assembled in years.
We need a picture of that with the Ovation double neck we have here at the shop. It sounds legit when I play "Dead or Alive" on it. ;)

nix808 wrote:Will peruse Seagull's site now and come back with my choice.
I want a smaller body coz my dreadnought is bloody terrible ergonomically.
Thanks for reminding me of them mate.
I've got an old S6 from the 80's. It's a pretty nice guitar but I prefer their parlor model:

http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagull_c ... grand.html

nix808 wrote:...

re string changes- I find I replace them when I break them. New ones have more treble/clarity, but old ones sound fine IMO. It's not hard to change them, just time consuming I think. Well done popping ur cherry!
Thanks, I was very proud of myself :wink: . Plus I scored some points with the wife which is never a bad thing. I had some help from youtube, took about ten minutes. But, yes, I did opt for changing only the broken one (beginner's tuning mishap :hihi:).

We went with the S6 folk because the regular S6 was huge.

Re parlor guitars.

Nylon string parlor guitars are my preferred choice for traditional bossa. the bass is oddly fuller and warmer. I think about getting one often but that would depend on the electronics.

Martin and a few other a/e manufacturers have gotten smart and put mic's inside the guitar along with the piezo. Now if someone else besides godin would think about putting tines in for sympathetic resonance.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

It's here. My Mickael Kelly Phoenix Vibe (not to be confused with the current vibe model)

I just did a quick tuning and lowered the action. Very Very much a Howard Robers Fusion tone. I'm going to give it a day to adjust to the climate then may adjust the neck.
The action can go a bit lower then what it's set at currently.

So far.
Big,
Big strings (12's unwound G)
Big Body. Yep it's the size of a howard roberts fusion.
Big Bass response.

The neck is very very playable. It reminds me of my first 335.
It's neither super slender nor super thick.
The action from the nut is extremely low. There is some relief happening in the neck but it's not warped only slightly bowed. I took down the bridge till I felt the buzz then pulled it back up a little. It's very playable but it's work. The frets are amazing. consistent acrossed the fretboard with plenty of grab

It's got a centerblock so it's more 335/HRF-III
The pickups are very punchy but I need to move up the treble side a small bit.
I've tested a little via my soundcard direct in (m-audio fb-pro) and I ran it thru my 30 watt cube using the jc and blackface settings. I only spent about 5 hours playing other guitars before it arrived. So my fingers are good and sore.

This is some serious wood. I'd take a picture but the grain most likely wouldn't show properly. It's exactly as pictured. Not a laminate -
Last edited by tapper mike on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dimitar wrote:Image
sweet dimi :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Uncle E wrote:
Hink wrote:my old guitar and an old bass...from mid 90s...this is the Kramer Ritchie Sambora I talked about in the budget guitar thread...it hasn't been assembled in years.
We need a picture of that with the Ovation double neck we have here at the shop. It sounds legit when I play "Dead or Alive" on it. ;)
:hihi: I bought that guitar right before my accident, it really played very nice and sounded great...I broke the headstock on the neck and eventually I made a permanent repair to it (I actually took a jackson style headstock on a neck with no truss or fingerboard to fix it...I posted pics of the repair here in past) but I didn't play it much after that because that's when I built/got my Warmoth strat which of course is a hardtail. I was a couple of years into using alternate tunings and the Warmoth played so well I just played the Warmoth...I took apart the Kramer originally to do a neck job and eventually used the Kramer for parts (like that original FR and three Duncan humbuckers)...I still have the neck and body but it will never be together again.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

*drool*...this is the guy who I got a Daion Power Mark XX trussrod cover from for my Daion...I bet at least one of these Gary (bluedad) would love to get his hands on...ftr they are all Daions

hibidy wrote: I've priced out Warmoth stuff and it's expensive.
All depends on what woods and finish you're after. If you're talking about your stock woods like alder or ash, Warmoth bodies and necks are cheaper than what Fender charges for their replacement parts.
Then you have to put it together. A couple of people that seem to know what they are talking about over at sevenstring have said the necks need a level/dressing when you get them. I do not currently know of a tech guy I can trust.
Yep- the frets do need to be leveled and dressed. Other than that, building's not bad; if you can hold a screwdriver and take your time, you can do a good job. And, if you don't solder well, there's a few companies making solderless wiring harnesses or prewired pickguards these days.

ew
A spectral heretic...

I agree Eric, the problem is the internet is full of garbage bodies and necks for short money which makes Warmoth look pricey. If one just shops the showcase the necks and bodies are finished which gets expensive. If you go through the body or neck builder and skip the finish the prices are pretty good...not as cheap as the others butt hen you get what you pay for. Warmoth is a good deal and most important I trust their quality control, I know a neck will fit, I know neck pockets will be correct (for instance you have a choice between a tele neck pocket or a strat neck pocket) and I love the contoured heal (though I did not go for that option on the bari body).

As for the frets on my two Warmoth guitars no problems at all, but then I have fret files.

A huge word on the necks...one can go on ebay and find a strat or a tele neck (whether they are what they say they are is a different story), you can buy the cheap necks or you can buy a Warmoth neck. For me it's a no-brainer, the double trussrod in a Warmoth neck is :hail: :hail: AT first glance one might be concerned because you have to remove the neck to adjust them and they do not have the standard nuts on the truss rod. The bari neck is going on 5 years old, never touched the truss rod. My Warmoth strat is 15 or 16 years old, never touched the truss rod. However on my other guitars at least twice a year they need a tweak, I love the double truss rod :tu:

There's a finished ⅞ size strat body in Warmoth's Screamin' Deals section for $190. That's really cheap! It weighs just under 4 lbs, too:

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicSho ... sort=price

They've got some Screamin' Deal necks for around $150, too, some of them with Pau Ferro fretboards or quarter sawn maple necks:

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicSho ... sort=price

These things could easily be turned into completed instruments for around $500.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”