Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's too bad Ian, I know how much you like an SG so it would seem a great guitar for you...the best of both worlds as it were...but then never say never...maybe not this one but who knows :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

As you say Hink, never say never, but atm I'm as close as anyone can get to saying I'll not be buying something and meaning it.
RIP Black Tom and Beckett. They weren't just cats, they were MY cats, the best cats ever.

Didn't know where else to put these thoughts......not getting another guitar though :oops:

I changed the pups in my 1421. They are fine but it's not the earth shattering experience people would have you believe considering the stock pups. I've never done a guitar like this before. I did a mojoe in the bridge (sounds great) and a paf joe in the neck (jury is out) I thought the paf joe was spec'ed a little brighter but it's not really much diff than the stock pup was. The dual split sounds nice of course.
The wiring I used was completely switching out the shit 5 way stock with a dimarzio 3 way. Configuration is H/dual split/H. That was easy. It's nice not having the extra two positions that I never used on this guitar anyways.

I guess I'm going to have to get some shielding though. It's a little bit noisier (picks up the computer a little more) so I'm kinda disappointed about that. I thought I did about as good a job wiring as I could. The stock pups were extra quiet. I wonder though if it's the switch, since it's not in a shielded box like the 5 way switch is :shrug:

Anyhow, the 1420 is next. I'm putting a breed in the bridge and going all weird in the neck..........a FRED :lol:

dimarzio has a return period of 30 days so I'm thinking about contacting them to see about the PAF joe and think of a replacement. Then again, I don't know if I want to rip it all out after having success!!!!!!

What kind of tone are you after for the neck? Stick to the Mo Joe since you're so happy with it.

Uncle E wrote:What kind of tone are you after for the neck? Stick to the Mo Joe since you're so happy with it.
Well, even though this is a "bright" guitar allegedly, it's lacking a hint of definition in the neck. The paf joe according to specs it supposed to be the answer. It's no better or worse than what I had. What I didn't know is that the pole pieces are adjustable on this type of pup. Will experiment with that. Here's the site and as you can see the paf joe is "rated" with a hotter treb/mid and less bass. This SHOULD have done the trick :shrug: http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuck ... ?view=grid

Yeah, the mo'joe in the bridge is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Neutral, clear with allot of definition.

One thing too though, they are ALLOT hotter than what I had, which ironically was what I was kinda shying away from. The specs are around the 320 mark for the mo'joe and only around 270 for the paf joe. I still think the paf joe might be a bit too hot.

Maybe this is what I should have got

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuck ... ucker-hell

I just thought with the really treble rating and it being pretty low output it wouldn't be a really good match.

On these two guitars I really want the same aesthetics (that look with the black pup/chrome pole pieces)

Not that I'd buy it, but they had one of these at GC..........

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1XXV

Point is, the action was the highest I've ever seen on a guitar in my life. No lies, probably 10 mm. Ghastly. If I had one of them new-fangled picture phones I'd have snapped a photo.

"Yeah dude, let's shred on this killer guit............." (then the letdown)

I need to get those p-rails into my baritone...I've been way too lazy :?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

hibidy wrote:Maybe this is what I should have got

I just thought with the really treble rating and it being pretty low output it wouldn't be a really good match.
The low output just means you have to raise it up a little more. It shouldn't impact much in the neck position.

Personally, I'd go for an EJ Custom.

Uncle E wrote:
hibidy wrote:Maybe this is what I should have got

The low output just means you have to raise it up a little more. It shouldn't impact much in the neck position.

Personally, I'd go for an EJ Custom.
That is kinda what I'm saying, the paf joe may be a bit too hot. I keep wanting to lower it, (looks kinda funny)

I am starting to like them more. Now I just have to figure out why I'm getting a little more noise from the computer. It's nothing earth shattering, just enough to piss me off a bit. Still suspicious of the dimarzio switch. The ibby switches are "enclosed" and this is exposed.

Yeah, the switch is a good place to start since those Dimarzio's are completely shielded. Personally, I love the stock Ibanez switch, every tone is useful.

Uncle E wrote:Yeah, the switch is a good place to start since those Dimarzio's are completely shielded. Personally, I love the stock Ibanez switch, every tone is useful.
But what is not useful is "buzzzt, click/cutout, buzzt.......click" :hihi:

I did a bunch of research on it and got surprisingly crappy results. But I'm happy with the H/ds/H config.

btw, it makes no difference what pups are being used, the noise is not a ground or anything like that....it's just that where I sit, the computer interferes just a bit.......whereas the the others don't. However, If I move a little, it pretty much goes away. Very strange.

Am thinking about getting the new MOOG guitar it really looks crazy !!
Am pretty sure that after playing it, the normal guitar that we know will never be the same...

Agathodaimon wrote:Am thinking about getting the new MOOG guitar it really looks crazy !!
Am pretty sure that after playing it, the normal guitar that we know will never be the same...
There's a new Moog guitar?

Hink wrote:I need to get those p-rails into my baritone...I've been way too lazy :?
I wish they'd do an Alnico 2 low-output version of these. They are a bit harsh, when combined in series, to my ears. Otherwise, it's a great idea 8)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”