Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:
BERFAB wrote:By the time the listener hears what's being played, the original 'tone' is almost completely eviscerated.
Then get a PRS SE and upgrade the pickups. You won't notice the difference, anyway. ;)
Well, you said yourself that the SE's play very well when plugged in, but not acoustically, which is my point.

I will definitely get back to you when I'm about to pull the trigger on one. :hihi:

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:

I will definitely get back to you when I'm about to pull the trigger on one. :hihi:

Cheers
-B
shooting innocent guitars...when did you move to blue hill ave? :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

BERFAB wrote:The Parkers are 100% (I think) fiberglass and play very nicely. I've played crappy fiberglass guitars too, btw.
Not exactly but it's a good point, anyway. Even with many normal guitars, their super hard, super glossy finishes resonate differently than my McCarty, which really has little more than a stain for a finish (not necessarily better or worse, just different).

BERFAB wrote:
Hink wrote:
BERFAB wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
BERFAB wrote:I don't know if I could even tell the difference between the various woods they're made from. They just seem to do it right.
Certainly that's been my experience with the American ones. I've never played a bad one, either.

With my SE's, the maple top sounds excellent when plugged in but doesn't sound as smooth as the mahogany or korina when played acoustically.
I know I'm going to get heat for this, but I still don't get the whole 'tone' thing when it comes to solid-body electrics. Most enthusiasts seem to swear that the wood and other factors can combine to affect the overall tone. But from what little I understand about acoustics, I would think that the overall effect on tone would be minimal at best.

I would think that a bigger factor with tone would be the pickups (and also, frankly, your choice of plectrum). This is, after all, where the actual conversion of the acoustic sound to electric impulse occurs. From there, perhaps the most noticeable impact on the sound occurs through the myriad of amps and effects. By the time the listener hears what's being played, the original 'tone' is almost completely eviscerated.

Let the flames begin. :D

-B
Like I said to someone else, go play an Ampeg Dan Armstrong lucite guitar and you'll understand fast :hihi:
I assume because it sucks? But is that a function of the lucite? or all the other factors?

The Parkers are 100% (I think) fiberglass and play very nicely. I've played crappy fiberglass guitars too, btw.
I did not know that about Parkers, my friend had a wood parker fly body/neck though he claimed to have swiped from work, it was just a body with no finish at all...maybe he lied :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

BERFAB wrote:Well, you said yourself that the SE's play very well when plugged in, but not acoustically, which is my point.
Sure! I wasn't completely disagreeing with you, especially after your point about pedals. Even a simple compressor pedal is enough to drastically change the tone and interaction with the amp.

Nobody commented on my Hair Band poser song I posted a couple pages back on my Next Guitar, which became my current guitar?

OK, trying again: Scott Lake - Go Fourth!

It builds on a I iv I iv with piano to build the emotion, then look out Stryper/Poison/Cinderella/Britny Fox/etc. I'm coming at you even though I'm basically bald! Superdome, here I come (but keep the lights on this time

EDIT: I should mention that there are major timing issues on all parts in this demo. I bodged it together in a couple of hours this week, as part of the February Album Writing Month challenge to write 14 songs in the month of February. With a day job, 4 kids and a wife's activities, that doesn't leave much time for 2nd takes or editing!

I mainly wanted to try out the I to iv and back to the I chords on piano - then I just heard a Europe-the-band thing progressing out of it.

As for recording - it's the Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue into Guitar Rig LE (the version that was free on Computer Music Magazine cover DVD a few years back) set on a couple of different Marshall amp based settings, then after that I put an instance of CM KR Delay and CM KR Reverb, with differing amounts of the sends on the rhythm and the lead.

Lead was the neck HB, rhythm was the tail (I normally did this the other way with my previous 2 HB guitar, but this sounded better to my ear).

Sorry if that disappoints anyone who feels you have to have a real physical amp. I haven't had an actual guitar amp since 1999 when I sold my KMD combo amp.
Last edited by rockstar_not on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hink wrote:
BERFAB wrote:

Cheers
-B
shooting innocent guitars...when did you move to blue hill ave? :hihi:
There are no 'innocent' guitars on Blue Hill Ave. :hihi:
Berfab

Hink wrote:
BERFAB wrote:
The Parkers are 100% (I think) fiberglass and play very nicely. I've played crappy fiberglass guitars too, btw.
I did not know that about Parkers, my friend had a wood parker fly body/neck though he claimed to have swiped from work, it was just a body with no finish at all...maybe he lied :shrug:
I stand corrected. Apparently Spruce was Ken Parker's preference for a wood body. The signature innovation of the Parker was a 1 piece carbon fiber neck/headstock.
Berfab

Help help! There's a used Epi Nighthawk in good condition for sale online!

Must.. not.. buy.. same price as the tablet I was going to get.. argh.. help..

AAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*head explodes*

:help: :help: :help: :nutter: :bang: :idiot: :smack:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

BERFAB wrote:
Hink wrote:
BERFAB wrote:
I stand corrected. Apparently Spruce was Ken Parker's preference for a wood body. The signature innovation of the Parker was a 1 piece carbon fiber neck/headstock.
that makes sense :)

Whew, talked myself out of it! Damn, that was close... :-o :phew:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

BERFAB wrote:
Still not quite correct.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vfz1y_Uido

When parker's were still made out east they were made the exact same way.
The fretboard is carbon graphite. The back of the neck and body is a carbon epoxy skin.

It depends on what type of parker you get. Some are maple, some are marple, some are spruce some are mahogany etc etc.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

rockstar_not wrote:Nobody commented on my Hair Band poser song I posted a couple pages back on my Next Guitar, which became my current guitar?

It builds on a I iv I iv with piano to build the emotion, then look out Stryper/Poison/Cinderella/Britny Fox/etc. I'm coming at you even though I'm basically bald! Superdome, here I come (but keep the lights on this time)
I like the guitar tone, what are you using? Your new axe and?

rockstar_not wrote:Nobody commented on my Hair Band poser song I posted a couple pages back on my Next Guitar, which became my current guitar?

It builds on a I iv I iv with piano to build the emotion, then look out Stryper/Poison/Cinderella/Britny Fox/etc. I'm coming at you even though I'm basically bald! Superdome, here I come (but keep the lights on this time)
Nice!

The tone of your lead is great, but I think, as far as '80s-'90s hair metal goes, the rhythm tone and sustain is off a little.

I love your in-your-face bass!
Blue Phase Music

tapper mike wrote:
BERFAB wrote:
Still not quite correct.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vfz1y_Uido

When parker's were still made out east they were made the exact same way.
The fretboard is carbon graphite. The back of the neck and body is a carbon epoxy skin.

It depends on what type of parker you get. Some are maple, some are marple, some are spruce some are mahogany etc etc.
Fascinating vid. Thanks for sharing.

I got my info from a much lower tech source: the Guitar Daily calendar that my secretary got me last year. Every day, it's got a new pic of a guitar on one side and trivia on the other. I save all the PRS models and the Parker on my bulletin board.

Cheers
-B
Berfab

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”