Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bare Knuckles off the list.

Reasons? Price, time it takes to get an order in the US (up to 8 weeks which would be too long for the build) and "option 50" which means if the bork the build, I'm not able to return it.

I'm comfy with Carvin pups.....I've put in a feeler about the "keisel" pups which are getting good reviews over at sevenstring. But, if I go 6 (which I'm leaning towards) they are in prototype mode so I'd likely not get them if I order before the end of the year.

BUT, I have a sneaky feeling prices are going up soon. So I kinda want to get it ordered before that.

hibidy wrote:EDIT.

Those "black dogs" look (and in the clips) sound tasty. I'm not looking for a high/shred pickup as much as a character pup that will do clean, to crunch, to high gain. Clarity is pretty high on my list but I certainly want something hotter than a dimarzio PAF.

Here is the spec:

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/p ... =black_dog

The contemporary pups are probably not for me. Still, not decided.

Price for these is steep, and again option 50 (meaning the 10 day rule doesn't apply, but all warranties still do) but I really want to hit it out of the park.....or maybe just not at all. It's not like what I have sucks ;)
I say just go for a set if you are thinking about them so much hibidy mate, Yeah I know they're steep but really they don't make/wind a bad pickup. Still no rush to decide just yet but if you're going all out then go all out :D

A former Ibanez player here (his fellow guitar player still is an Ibby man IRRC) whom went on to customizing PRS Customs, Has now got his own model, It looks really good and he is definitely deserving of a signature model with the amount of quality records BTBAM have put out and continue to do, The Dustie Waring Custom:
http://prsguitars.com/dustiewaring/?utm ... edium=lead#
It'll be way to pricey for me and well the scale-length is not enough for my needs but it is very good to see PRS bolstering its heavier aimed axe's, There was only the SE Torero which sported a double-locking trem setup, There have been a few SE signature models which are based on the higher end models of some metal players but all AFAIK stick to the traditional style PRS/Wilkinson trem (great as they are, I have one on one of my two Maverick's, The other having a Wilkinson double-locking trem), I think this is the first time I've seen a PRS without their own range of/or specifically designed for a player also (Though I could be wrong, As I don't keep a really close eye on their output). Another PRS I like was/is the ARCHON amplifier, It has a very distinctive character in the lower mids and a very chunky mid-range for a really thick high-gain amp, It is just over priced though in the market IMveryhumbleHO. Really good stuff anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8GU9osUXoY

PRS rarely release stuff that gets more than a 'wow that looks nice' glance from me, So 8)

I've been buried in the POD HD 500X I picked up not so long ago, I'm getting a lot of use from it and now I've explored it more in-depth, Will be using it along with my usual stuff or as a multiple effects and processing box too. Main guitar I'm reaching for is my 7-string 27.5" Schecter, It came with EMG HZs in it but I switched out the bridge for a 707 to suit my needs/wants, Does a fine job :D

All the best to everyone as always, Speak soon :tu:

Dean

Ok,

alder body
maple/w/mahogany stripes neck (it's through body though)
maple top (though that is kinda undecided)
jet black (satin, so "flat") on the top of body/headstock
tung oil on sides, neck
Black hardware
Hipshot bridge
No inlays
Ebony fretboard (no streaks)
Abolone name on headstock
SS frets (jumbo)
5 way "ibby style" switch

Now, I'm leaning towards a 6 but still considering a 7. If 7

thin neck profile
20 radius
Keisel pups

Some pics......

(so kinda a combo of the two.........)

Yikes......my wallet :lol:

I like the maple fretboard more.

Please enlighten me on the value of Keisel pups
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

I prefer the look of the second one.

tapper mike wrote:I like the maple fretboard more.

Please enlighten me on the value of Keisel pups
Well, they look like traditional buckers instead of the multi-black poll versions you see there. I guess I don't really know other than that :oops:

I like the second one too.

I've been doing a lot of looking around on Craigslist recently and looking to pick up a few bargains over the next few weeks. After not picking up a guitar for probably 9 or 10 months I really want to play again.

I have a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups that I got really cheap, and tonight I'm going to pick up a Squier Affinity Strat for $65, which looks to be in near perfect shape.

I'm still waiting on a reply from someone who is selling a Schecter Omen 6 for $100 but is asking $120 for that and a Fender Mustang amp, which I don't really want, but I'm not going to argue with the price of the guitar.

Now I have to think about what pickups to get for the Schecter...

Depends on what you want to do with it. Omen is basswood, a good set that works well for many styles is the dimarzio "tone zone" in the bridge and a "norton" in the neck.

I know it's basswood so that limits my options somewhat (wouldn't buy extremely expensive pickups as I know I wouldn't get all the tone benefits from them). I did actually think of a Norton for the neck, but not sure about the bridge yet.

robojam wrote:I have a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups that I got really cheap, and tonight I'm going to pick up a Squier Affinity Strat for $65, which looks to be in near perfect shape.
I actually love the Fender Vintage Noiseless bridge, it has the smooth top-end of a humbucker and the tighter bottom end of a single coil. It's a lot like the Dimarzio HS-3 that Yngwie used. Unfortunately, those qualities make the Vintage Noiseless sound terrible in the neck and middle, that's probably why Yngwie used the HS-2, which sounds more like a real single coil, in those positions.

hibidy wrote:Depends on what you want to do with it. Omen is basswood, a good set that works well for many styles is the dimarzio "tone zone" in the bridge and a "norton" in the neck.
I think you mean the Air Norton, no? I've had an Air Zone and a regular Norton in the bridge of my basswood Ibanez, they were very different from each other and both very cool. The Air Zone was the rocking lead pickup, it's so smooth, thick, and syrupy sounding that it made it me sound like a better player than I am. Sustained notes sang, pick attacks evened out, and flubs were less noticeable. The Norton is more revealing but it sounds just like EVH in that guitar, which is why I stuck with it.

Regarding the Tone Zone + Air Norton setup that everyone loves, I've got 2 nearly identical maple top Prestige's with Tone Zones in the bridges and I much prefer the one with the PAF Pro in the neck over the one with the Air Norton in the neck. I suppose it's because I don't do super high gain in the neck position, which is where I imagine most Air Norton lovers are using it. Anyway, the PAF Pro is killer with the Tone Zone, they match really well.

Oh, sorry, I didn't know there were two. Air norton is what I meant.

Uncle E wrote: Regarding the Tone Zone + Air Norton setup that everyone loves, I've got 2 nearly identical maple top Prestige's with Tone Zones in the bridges and I much prefer the one with the PAF Pro in the neck over the one with the Air Norton in the neck. I suppose it's because I don't do super high gain in the neck position, which is where I imagine most Air Norton lovers are using it. Anyway, the PAF Pro is killer with the Tone Zone, they match really well.
The specs would show this to be true, but that 655 I had really sounded terrific with that combo. I don't know about the high gain thing as I usually like a less intense gain when using the neck.

I love how this thread never dies.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

I actually meant the original Norton, not the Air Norton, and I thought of putting one in the neck position, not bridge. For the bridge I don't know, but probably something mid to high output to match the Norton as best I can.

As for the vintage noiseless, they will still sound a hell of a lot better than the standard Squier garbage that is already in there.

I have the guitar now and it probably needs a little TLC to set it up better. I haven't taken the backplate off yet so I don't know how many springs are in there, but I did wind out the tremolo arm and throw it in my box of musical instrument parts.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”