Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sweet, do you have all the cables and conversion tools or are you just going to use it as a guitar?
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

I wanted it to use as a guitar, but it came with the GR-700 and the 24-pin cable as well :)

The synth needs one of the voice chips replaced (common problem). Once that's done I'll be able to see how it goes. I tried the MIDI out into a soft synth and the tracking was a bit ropey. It's hard to use the internal synth sound with the faulty chip as it causes hanging notes and all sorts of noise.

If I take to the synth guitar approach I might look into getting the PG-200 for it and maybe see about finding a Korg Z3 for the FM side of the 80s.
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote:I've been trying to find a nice clean one of these for months but it's finally happened :party:

Wow! Blast from the past! Congrats.

sprnva wrote:I've been trying to find a nice clean one of these for months but it's finally happened :party:

A friend of mine got one a few years ago. I was really tempted to buy it from him because I've always loved the look of it. But to be honest, I thought it played terribly. I think he kept the synth but sold the guitar.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I used o have an Ibanez X-ING 2010 with all the trimmings. It was a rock solid guitar. The latency on those older models will lead you to always mix guitar and synth.

bharris22 wrote:I'm very curious about the Variaxes - please let us know how it works for you (in terms of switching between tunings and guitar models - in other words, all the Variax goodies). I would also be curious how it sounds/plays as a regular guitar, as I have been thinking about the James Tyler LP-body style Variax.
IMO, that's the nicest version, at least in looks and regular guitar (non-Variax) sounds. It's very much equivalent to a Les Paul and is the heaviest of all the Variax's. Regarding tunings and models, it's easy and sounds decent enough, and the acoustic and ethnic sounds are surprisingly usable.

I just got my Yamaha Variax standard. It was an open box. Unfortunately not in the packaging was the charger for the battery. I've ordered one from Sweetwater and it should arrive on Monday.

The battery was low upon receiving. I then wasted most of what was left using "Chime" the Rickenbacker presets. Playing.. The Beatles. It did not disappoint.

In regards to the Yamaha guitar (sans variax) I was quite impressed for its quality. Granted much of the money goes to the variax system so there is little left over for guitar aesthetics. The "bone" white is a little darker then bone. Not the end of the world. The tuners worked just fine. There was no binding with the string trees. The overall action was higher then a previous Pacifica I'd owned. Not the end of the world. I'm thinking of simply adapting to the setup rather then changing the setup for now. The frets were smooth (polished) and had no sharp edges. They all feel even to me. The trem was set a little stiff for my tastes. but I prefer it floppier then most. Still not near as stiff as my parker or other guitars I've owned. Intonation was fine. Granted it doesn't have earvana or other such compensating nut.

The neck was a little thicker then my old pacifica as well. Not quite as thick as some "standard" C shapes I've played in the past.

The pickups themselves were.... fair. Not great not earthshaking. The videos of people playing the Variax standard all sound darker to me then the single coils on my guitar.. As well I've got a guitar with Alnico V single coils and it sounds darker. The Yamaha pups sound average. That being said, I do prefer them to my Fender Telecaster Modern Player Plus (CIC) Originally after hearing all the YVS videos I'd decided maybe I'll swap them with a set of Lace Gold Sensors (original, not hot)

The body is lighter then my strat which is also made of alder. So maybe they had to cut a lot out for the electronics or maybe it's a lighter alder.
While it does have a forearm relief, it' doesn't have a belly cut or neck relief found on contemporary bolt on's. No matter it still feels comfortable enough to play for extended periods of time.

I've had a chance to play around with WorkBench HD. But it's mostly just looking as by then my guitar's battery had fully died.

Excellent - thank you both for your thoughts. Now, to save some money . . . .

incubus wrote:I wonder, if I started a thread for us to just play our favorite patches/guitars on, if anyone would give more than zero f...ks :shrug:

Probably not, but I might start one anyways.
I can contribute one f**k to this idea :D

Thanks blueman!

Got to play one of those "elite" Fenders today. The newer heel style is a step back for me personally.

How was everything else about it? People have told me it gives boutique builders a run for their money. Also, the N4 pickups (which I believe are only available on the Elites) are supposed to be perfection, what did you think of them?

Uncle E wrote:How was everything else about it? People have told me it gives boutique builders a run for their money. Also, the N4 pickups (which I believe are only available on the Elites) are supposed to be perfection, what did you think of them?
I didn't plug it in, absolutely no need at guitar center :lol: Nothing there that would give that away as far as tone. The build is awesome. The neck felt great, but that's as far as I went. If I have trouble hitting the 22nd fret, I have no interest.

So you had less access to high frets than with a standard Fender neck heel? Personally, I rarely play above the 15th fret but it'd be an interesting thing to know.

So here's the full review of my Variax.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”