Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
2+2=5
KVRer

20 posts since 18 Apr, 2017

Postby 2+2=5; Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:11 am Re: Your next guitar?

probably A les paul...
vurt
addled muppet weed

35590 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:10 pm Re: Your next guitar?

i really like the tele/jazzmaster hybrid ltd thing theyre showing at namm. luckily i don't have 5 grand spare so i wont be getting that ! :cry:
codec_spurt
KVRAF

3454 posts since 20 Sep, 2005

Postby codec_spurt; Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:39 pm Re: Your next guitar?

tapper mike wrote:That guy is a professional and he charges a reasonable rate.

I was referring to the hobbyist who might try their hand at tech work once in a month or longer and isn't in the business... A hobbyist guitar tech.

I've got a couple of guitars lined up to go to Sam. He does great work. He's not the cheapest in the world, but you get a quality service. Good value for money.

I'm happy to pay him £120 to do up a guitar that cost me £120, all things being equal, or maybe not so equal. You can't polish a turd, and there's little point in spending the cash if you can do basic maintenance and setups yourself (like I've recently learned to do), but there's definitely a sweet spot in the middle where it's worth spending the money on a guitar you really love, that didn't cost you much, but you just can't figure out how to set it up as well as it could be, or maybe you don't have the tools.

Sam is highly recommended.
“Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.”
Hermetech Mastering
KVRian

889 posts since 30 May, 2003, from Paris

Postby Hermetech Mastering; Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:57 am Re: Your next guitar?

I paid £180 for a full setup, fret dress and new bone nut and saddle on my £500 acoustic and it was TOTALLY worth it. For something I spend four hours a day with, the difference it made in playability was huge.
Bombadil
KVRAF

1510 posts since 31 Aug, 2013, from The Schwarzwald of My Mind

Postby Bombadil; Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:10 pm Re: Your next guitar?

I've been lucky in that regard. I was referred to a local luthier by a guy in a shop. The luthier did all the work for a competing store, who, naturally, included their own mark-up. So, when the second shop found out that I was dealing privately with this guy, I could hear their teeth grinding. :hihi:

He does excellent work, and he also picks up my guitar at my place and delivers it the next week, while he does the rounds of the shops in this area that he works for. He doesn't charge a huge amount, either, but he isn't adding VAT for his services. So, all of my guitars are super players
“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”

Kurt Vonnegut
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

4481 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:03 am Re: Your next guitar?

Just got one of these as it was reduced, to give the old Encore (charity shop - 2003, £30) a bit of competition;

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoust ... 100CE.aspx

Nice to play - the neck is more like an electric which will take a bit of getting used to. A bit trebly as yet with the strings being new. I'll soon knock some sense into it.
skipscada
KVRian

1418 posts since 22 Oct, 2004, from Schmocation

Postby skipscada; Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:06 am Re: Your next guitar?

Hermetech Mastering
KVRian

Postby Hermetech Mastering; Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:43 am Re: Your next guitar?

Thinking of saving up for a Yairi acoustic
tapper mike
KVRAF

4688 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:35 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Thinking of saving up for a Yairi acoustic

I used to have a Alvarez Yairi back in the 80's. It had a walnut top. I remember it sounding somewhat dark but not quite warm. It was a second acoustic I'd always bring around with me along with my Ovation 12 string. Never really got into the tone that much. A buddy of mine in his 70's at the time loved it. He was an old folk singer / guitar player from way back. He'd even played with Pete Seeger and Ian Tyson. Eventually I sold it to him. He cherished it.
Hermetech Mastering
KVRian

Postby Hermetech Mastering; Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:19 am Re: Your next guitar?

Yeah I've been researching a lot and they are an interesting company for sure, with different brand names and model designations in different territories over the years. The Japanese catalog is well worth a download and browse. Am jonesing for this one right now:

http://yairi.co.jp/guitar/item_203.html

Have contacted the French distributor, so hopefully there will be some in Paris I can try out. Might need to see if I can order direct from Japan though, if it's a model they only sell there (I lived in Japan for 12 years and have family there so hopefully wouldn't be too much of a problem!)
PurpleCatfishBettie
KVRAF

3245 posts since 21 Jul, 2009

Postby PurpleCatfishBettie; Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:56 am Re: Your next guitar?

picked up another davison for around $45 (got it in black, then saw a sunburst one with a winning bid of $39 (including shipping). oh well).

these offset fenders look intriguing... if i correctly 'grokked the deets', they have a one-piece alder body: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itXMAinaj1I

mustang with P90s looks good...
tapper mike
KVRAF

4688 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:51 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Just ordered a Charvel Pro Mod
This one to be exact.
vurt
addled muppet weed

35590 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 pm Re: Your next guitar?

i really like the look of the neon les pauls :o
just not sure id want a floyd rose on it :?
Hermetech Mastering
KVRian

Postby Hermetech Mastering; Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:50 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Jonesing for a custom Brook now...

https://www.brookguitars.com/
Hink
Rad Grandad

26895 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from Downeast Maine

Postby Hink; Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:18 pm Re: Your next guitar?

tapper mike wrote:Just ordered a Charvel Pro Mod
This one to be exact.

congrats Mike :)
got any good fish stories? Let minnow
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)