Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

digitalboytn wrote:Here's another shot for the lovers of women's curvaceous backs and necks..

These were two high quality dames,but they weren't really working girls :wink:
Wow! :love:

There's something so appealing about a slab body. Les Paul Jr's are great, as well.

Uncle E wrote:There's something so appealing about a slab body. Les Paul Jr's are great, as well.
Yes Sir...

They are compact and harder for the airlines to crush :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote:Tapped Dimarzio low gain humbuckers
Which Dimarzio's? Do you mean split or actually tapped at lower turns?

Uncle E wrote:
digitalboytn wrote:Tapped Dimarzio low gain humbuckers
Which Dimarzio's? Do you mean split or actually tapped at lower turns?
Split humbuckers....

I have some Air Classic sets - DP190 & DP191 - some 36th Ann neck pickups - DP103 - didn't like the bridge version at all and some HFH DP156's,which may not get used...

I also have a few medium output DiMarzios...DP192's which are great in a solid body for that fat "jazz tone" and some Air Norton's - DP193's....not sure what to do with the DP193's...

I have a feeling that the DP192's will be rather nice in the neck position of a chambered mahogany/spruce guitar,with the transducers in the bridge saddles adding a little sparkle to the mix :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote:Here you go Tapper Mike..

Memphis and Manny were identical twins...

The VB7's were really tax deductible show ponies,but they played great too :wink:
Those are stunning.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

All credit to Victor Baker....

He knows how to put together a fine archtop...

They are very particular instruments to build and require special skills....

When I find the person who stole one of those archtops along with many other nice toys from my studio,they will be stunned also :wink:

Stunned and hospitalised with shattered knee caps...

They were the ones who trespassed,broke and entered and then desecrated my space...

Because the police were so useless, I will have to do my own recovery...

We know who set it up - it was an inside job - but we just can't prove it...

But when we can put all of the pieces together,justice will be served...

I don't really care about material things,but don't touch my guitars !

That's close to being a capital offence :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote:I have some Air Classic sets - DP190 & DP191
Nice! I have one in my Melancon and it sounds great. The person I bought the guitar from had installed a Seymour Duncan JB and I think the guitar sounds much better with the Air Classic back in.
- some 36th Ann neck pickups - DP103 - didn't like the bridge version at all
Agreed, it's a bit lifeless. I want to try their PAF Master or the Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Special. A customer of ours has the Jim Wagner Fillmore Set and it's the perfect Allman Brothers tone, I'm hoping the Saturday Night Specials might sound like that.
I also have a few medium output DiMarzios...DP192's which are great in a solid body for that fat "jazz tone" and some Air Norton's - DP193's....not sure what to do with the DP193's...
Nice. I've been wanting to put an Air Zone in my Epiphone Emperor Regent, which sounds like a thin acoustic guitar with its stock mini humbucker, not to mention that routing a pickup ought to help with feedback.

digitalboytn wrote:
I don't really care about material things,but don't touch my guitars !

That's close to being a capital offence :wink:
I've told this story before (actually in this thread) I wanted my first guitar to be a nice guitar. It was the 70's I chose an ES-175 I thought it was "The jazz/rock guitar" I'd take lessons from friends and borrow extra guitars they had laying around. I could have gotten a lesser guitar but I wanted that 335 and was prepared to work and save to get it. When the day finally came around that I had my guitar in hand, I made a special point to let everyone who had let me borrow theirs play my new one first.

As time went on I acquired more guitars (mostly mid-line value) and retired the 335 from stage performance and living room jams. Mostly it sat in the case under my bed. One day while living in Detroit I had a break in. They tore down the wall with a pick ax and a sledgehammer to get into my apartment from the hallway. No insurance, everything gone including the 335. I'm sure it was a message from a previous tenant as simply busting out a window would have been easier. It broke my heart. Sure I could eventually save and get another one but it wouldn't be the same. It took me a few years before I wanted to spend serious money on serious guitars.

Guitars don't hold the same emotional value as they did back then to me. It wasn't just that guitar or that incident. My station wagon was broken into years later (window smashed) and had a 78' Les Paul Custom stolen while I was gathering other gear from a gig. I don't have the financial means to buy a V.B. I'll have to be content with what I have till that day comes. If I did I'd never gig with it live.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Not my next as I just bought them a couple of weeks back and still haven't found the time to install.

But my last purchase was a Seymour Duncan JB jr. stack fretboard pickup to match the JB bridge for my old Yamaha guitar. It's nowhere near their top line of guitars, but I had a friend that works on them professionally set it up quite nicely (for the price of lunch), and I've been swapping pickups in it since the early nineties. I think I've finally found the last configuration for this one.
And while I was at it, restocked another case of strings and got another glass slide (knuckle).

It's the little things...

My next guitar will most likely be an acoustic again. Haven't had one since the mid-nineties and really starting to miss having one. Most likely something simple like Yamaha or Ovation (since those are what I had in the past). But open to anything in the mid-price range.

BBFG# wrote:But my last purchase was a Seymour Duncan JB jr. stack fretboard pickup to match the JB bridge for my old Yamaha guitar. It's nowhere near their top line of guitars, but I had a friend that works on them professionally set it up quite nicely (for the price of lunch), and I've been swapping pickups in it since the early nineties. I think I've finally found the last configuration for this one.
That sounds like it'd be a nice neck pickup. The JB is a bright humbucker and I can imagine it sounding really lively in the neck position. My Ibanez has a PAF Pro in the neck position, which is also relatively bright, and I love it.
My next guitar will most likely be an acoustic again. Haven't had one since the mid-nineties and really starting to miss having one.
Taylor had an Acoustic 8-series that is strangely undervalued and sells for relatively cheap used. I think the models were GC8, GA8, GS8, DN8, and GO8. I got my GC8 for $700 and that's one third the price of when it was new. Not exactly cheap but it's pretty much the best acoustic I've played in this price range.

Seagulls are great, as well. I have an 80's Yamaha nylon string acoustic that has no life at all, it's completely dead sounding.

Uncle E wrote:
BBFG# wrote:But my last purchase was a Seymour Duncan JB jr. stack fretboard pickup to match the JB bridge for my old Yamaha guitar. It's nowhere near their top line of guitars, but I had a friend that works on them professionally set it up quite nicely (for the price of lunch), and I've been swapping pickups in it since the early nineties. I think I've finally found the last configuration for this one.
That sounds like it'd be a nice neck pickup. The JB is a bright humbucker and I can imagine it sounding really lively in the neck position. My Ibanez has a PAF Pro in the neck position, which is also relatively bright, and I love it.
Some thirty years ago I had an Ovation Preacher that I put SD Firebird PUs in. (I had a rep that gave them to me and an Invader PU so I would push them more to my customers.) Been a S. Duncan user ever since. IIRC, the Firebirds were their version of the PAFs. Very nice sound, great improvement over the stock Ovation pickups. Got to play that configuration for one night. Loved the sound, but the guitar was stolen the next day. And I put that Invader in a really cheap electric we sold during our 'hamburger' special sales. ($88?- so less than $30?). Made that POS scream. That was stolen at the same time as the Preacher. And the two electrics I miss the most is that Ovation Preacher and my Susanna Hoff Rickenbacker.
So Rickenbacker is the only guitar I would never swap pickups on unless it died. And it would still be a stock replacement.

Great! We actually have an Ovation Breadwinner in stock with dead pickups, maybe I'll try putting Firebird pickups into it.

This will actually be my first electric, but I am looking at the RGRT421 and the RGAT62 currently.

They seem very similar. Other than pickups, and reverse head, I see very little difference... if any.

Thoughts on these two would be most welcome, thanks.

i've not had a lot of experience with a lot of brands, but (imo) when you start getting over $400 on an Ibanez RG, the 'wizard neck' will practically 'play itself'. these are 'fast, fast necks'. the RT421 and AT62 both look good. can you get to a local dealer and try them out in person to see what you think?

as an aside, i've even got an old RG120 which cost around $200 in the year 2000, and even the budget RGs seem to have 'fast necks'. every RG i've ever had though ('budget' or 'regular' priced), were a 'superior player'. some people might say these necks are 'too thin' so hopefully you can try the guitars out in person before you buy.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”