M-Audio Venom Analog Modeling Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wormhelmet wrote:Routing midi through a DAW track can get weird effects if you edit the patch in the vysex editor.
I can use the editor alongside running cubase, no issues at all like that, I can edit patches with the Venom editor on top of cubase, i.e. click on icon in toolbar, editor appears on top of cubase, change preset or tweak, minimize editor and carry on with cubase. To do this though - Venom editor must be booted before booting cubase otherwise you cannot do this.

Hi everyone. I'm still making a lot of progress, though i've got a few sound design jobs that are taking most of my time at the moment. Haven't even had the time to update the MophoEd, which is a real bummer. But i'm getting there!

I'm just a days work away from getting the VenomEd Single editor functional. Still running into lot's of undocumented stuff that's slowing it down, but eventually it will be great! After that the Multi editor shouldn't be a big deal to implement.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Wtf! I go for a 5km run and when I come back there's like 15 new replies! :-o :lol: How am I supposed to keep up with this thread??:lol:
Wormhelmet wrote:You'd be a prime candidate for Patch Adamz classic patches for the venom then! They sound really good and can give the venom some sounds that are rather warm and lush and not so gritty and new school.
I imagine so. I took a listen to the soundcloud demos and there are some really nice stuff in there that could suit some of the stuff I do. I just need my 80s sound on top (meaning digital dx7 grit, linn drum samples and way too much reverb! :lol: )
As for the factory patches, well, the venom is supposed to cut through every mix, and it certainly does. To me though, it seems they just cranked up the cutoff and resonance filters making everything screechy. I find myself turning down the cutoff and resonance every time I change presets! ANd the effects aren't all that either. I usually turn them off and use the external ones built in my hardware mixer (actually, they aren't all that either but at least they're better)

I might dig into those sonic boost patches at some point, but I'll go for the new editor first as I believe it will be the gateway to the holy grail of Venom potential.
I have a deadline for some radio station jingles at the moment but when done I'll get back to exploring the Venom fully. Hopefully the editor will be ready then.

Mdkr, any idea of what price range we'll be in?
breakmixer wrote:- Venom editor must be booted before booting cubase otherwise you cannot do this.
Same thing with FL. Synth->computer->Editor->DAW. Nothing out of the ordinary I suppose. It's the same thing with my Kurzweil. My DX7 doesn't care what the hell you do! It does it right every time :hihi:

I have had no problems with the editor.

Load up times are fast.

It's easy to save singles dragging them out of bank mode into the right pane.

K-Bee wrote:My DX7 doesn't care what the hell you do! It does it right every time :hihi:
@K-Wasp, sorry for OT everyone else.

Same with my DX-21, I found an old Ctrlr editor for it but it doesn't do anything to the parameters, so completely useless, I'm doing away with the DX-21, bidding on a TX81Z(ebay, but someone else wants it, grrrr.), don't need the extra keybed, got some rack space on my studio desk and want it all in front of me, more compact - plus their is a new ctrlr editor for the TX81Z, hopefully that might work - if not I'm not bothered!

Breakmixer, I just bought it for the presets! There's no way I'll edit what is already perfect!! :D Everybody hates them but that's because they don't understand anything important in life!! :D :hihi:

OK Back to the topic at hand here.... :)

K-Bee wrote:Breakmixer, I just bought it for the presets! There's no way I'll edit what is already perfect!! :D Everybody hates them but that's because they don't understand anything important in life!! :D :hihi:

OK Back to the topic at hand here.... :)
Well I know Mantronix used a DX7, and I've never heard any presets that sound like his stuff, I cannot believe you've never tried though, it's strange to do on the dx-21, weird springy/techno sounds then a slight adjustment and an e-piano, clavinet or vibesy sound appears from nowhere, think it's a black art really!

I have completely uninstalled drivers and editor and will reinstall after running Korg midi manager utility to see if there are corrupted virtual ports its referring to when starting up.

Korgs utility program is great for diagnosing midi in/out conflicts
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

mkdr wrote: Still running into lot's of undocumented stuff that's slowing it down, but eventually it will be great! After that the Multi editor shouldn't be a big deal to implement.
Maybe things like that I found in the "new" m-audio forum:
That's what should have been found in the first place in the doc.!!

Unacceptable "hole" in the manual.

Here's how CC00 works within the Venom.

Single A = Bn 00 00
SIngle B = Bn 00 01
SIngle C = Bn 00 02
SIngle D = Bn 00 03

Multi A = Bn 00 20 (on Global channel)
Multi B = Bn 00 21 (on Global channel)
BTW - Do you plan to make a Mac version of your "better Venom editor" please? I use the M4L Venom patches from June74 but they have not the ability for use in multi mode...

And the "Toni" Vyzex is working very sluggish when changing presets and need ages for start up.

So I need a better editor!
[del]AudioLinux sucks.[/del]

I reinstalled drivers and editor and its behaving much better. The Korg utility is the Korg unistallation for midi which by default just shows Korg devices taking up midi bus channels but allows you to uncheck just show Korg devices at which point all devices taking up a midi connection show up. I turned on my padKontrol, Venom, NanoKontrol, midisport 2x2, and Launchpad and saw connected status on all of them taking up a slot. I uninstalled all the rest. There was a corrupted instance of midisport in there along with inactives that really needed to go. I have enough midi data flying around the system that a cleaned up midi bus was a good idea.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

topaz wrote:I have had no problems with the editor.

Load up times are fast.

Depends on the OS I think. Found it very sluggish on Mac OSX Snow Leopard and Windows XP. Not so sluggish on Windows 7. Have not tried it on OSX Mountain Lion yet.

Not to be awkward but I'm using OSX 10.6.8

secretkillerofnames wrote:

Load up times are fast.

Depends on the OS I think. Found it very sluggish on Mac OSX Snow Leopard and Windows XP. Not so sluggish on Windows 7. Have not tried it on OSX Mountain Lion yet.

topaz wrote:Not to be awkward but I'm using OSX 10.6.8

secretkillerofnames wrote:

Load up times are fast.

What are your specs Topaz?

I'm running a 2008 17" Macbook Pro / 2.5ghz Core2Duo / 4gb Ram. Only works on the Right/Hand USB port and takes around 40 secs to 1 minute to load up everything. Also control changes are sluggish. It does work though. (I'm running the Beta version of the editor - was just as bad with the earlier builds)

I also have a 2010 Mac Mini with Mountain Lion on it but I found the USB MIDI didn't like any of the USB ports on that one. In amongst the M-Audio FAQs there is something about Macs and using specific USB ports.

whats the build like on this? If i should get one it will be for live work and will be in the back of a van with a ton of other crap :hihi:

Kriminal wrote:whats the build like on this? If i should get one it will be for live work and will be in the back of a van with a ton of other crap :hihi:
It's not a tank, that's for sure. I'd get a proper case for it if i needed to toss it at the back of a van. I'd say it's as flimsy as a JP-8000. I wouldn't handle either one roughly. (Well i have to say this has a bit better quality build than a JP)

Btw. Laughing my ass off at this thing sometimes. There's at least five volume controls for a single patch :D Just so you can make it SUPERLOUD :lol:
I'm just trying to figure out where on the editor I'll place one of those Volume knobs again..

Edit: And a valuerange of 0-127 has a halfway point at 64 :roll:
:hihi:
Last edited by mkdr on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”