M-Audio Venom Analog Modeling Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

breakmixer wrote:
Flux302 wrote:I just got one like new off ebay as an impulse buy... I gotta say after reading the forums over at http://www.vyzor.com/support/ .... mannnn looks like they led the users on for over a year telling em "by the end of the month" pretty much every month for over a year. then in august they just went silent..... pretty shitty if u ask me. so this would be false advertising right? I mean they promised a vst editor that never came.
what's it like?
Yeah, tell us! I'm still waiting for mine to arrive :wink:

And so it did! :D

I hooked it up. The cables (USB interface cable in particular)are incredibly short and will most likely be extended. I need to buy extension cable before I can connect it to my PC. The mixer will have to do for now.
Cabinet seems fairly sturdy and the knobs and buttons seem solid. Maybe this was build to be used after all :)
Keys are alright, but a bit spongy and don't feel too natural (I'm used to weighted stuff and a dx7 though) - Still, you can play at an incredible pace which will come in handy I'm sure.
I've auditioned about 15 presets so far (single mode)and it's obvious this synth is geared towards modern electronic dance musice - however, there's more to it than that. Despite not being able to access all the paramaters from the board knobs, you can still do some crazy stuff and change everything into sounds never heard before (believe me, it does some weird stuff)
I'm an 80s mad man of course and I've already figured out how to make this Venom work within my field. It can be PHAT! or paper thing and glass-like.
I'm only touching the surface so far but it does look it will compliment my PC3x and DX7 very well.

I like it - go get it! It's less than half price! :D

Ordered!

Announcing a 32bit Windows VSTi-editor! :party:

The editor will be available soon for 10€.
You don't have to wait for months or years; I need it myself too! :lol:
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

K-Bee wrote: I'm an 80s mad man of course and I've already figured out how to make this Venom work within my field.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGpcX3vSaY

Seems someone already had a go at making some vintage sounds.

I've been bugging my wife about a Prophet 08(says not at the minute :cry: ), want to know more how you get on with this, pity no vst though! :(

mkdr wrote:Ordered!

Wow, are you definately doing one? if so I'm getting a venom! love your mopho editor, solid as a rock!

breakmixer wrote:
K-Bee wrote: I'm an 80s mad man of course and I've already figured out how to make this Venom work within my field.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGpcX3vSaY

I've been bugging my wife about a Prophet 08(says not at the minute :cry: ), want to know more how you get on with this, pity no vst though! :(
God Damn! That guy did a copy of the bass synth from "Intimate Connection" by kleeer!
Now I really love my venom!. There goes my beauty sleep :- :D

breakmixer wrote:

Wow, are you definately doing one? if so I'm getting a venom! love your mopho editor, solid as a rock!
Well i definitely need one myself :D
So i better do one..

Just realized though how much work it's gonna be :lol:
Over 300 parameters per patch.. and it's multi-mode is kinda stupid.. only references to patches. I'll have to see how this progresses. The manual seems properly done, which helps.
www.mkdr.net

mkdr wrote:
breakmixer wrote:

Well i definitely need one myself :D
So i better do one..

Just realized though how much work it's gonna be :lol:
Over 300 parameters per patch.. and it's multi-mode is kinda stupid.. only references to patches. I'll have to see how this progresses. The manual seems properly done, which helps.
My wife just let me order the Venom(for my birthday coming soon), just been checking the demos/reviews etc on Youtube, looks(sounds) like it will cure my gas for a P08, so I'll be first in line for your vst editor, I thought it may be a huge task! :-o

Got it for £169.00 delivered from Thomman in Germany! :D

sold my Venom today. it's a great little synth (especially for the money!), but sadly i don't have enough room to keep it. plus, i needed the cash.

pros:

i loved the LPF (low and moderate resonance settings sound very good)
lots of waveforms to choose from
plenty of modulation options
the four performance knobs offer a fair amount of tweakability

cons:

slooooow software (at least on my computer)
only one knob to browse through the presets
a bit too plasticky all-around (but then again, the price is very low so it makes sense)

all in all, i'd love to have one again in the future.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

bpblog wrote:sold my Venom today. it's a great little synth (especially for the money!), but sadly i don't have enough room to keep it. plus, i needed the cash.

pros:

i loved the LPF (low and moderate resonance settings sound very good)
lots of waveforms to choose from
plenty of modulation options
the four performance knobs offer a fair amount of tweakability

cons:

slooooow software (at least on my computer)
only one knob to browse through the presets
a bit too plasticky all-around (but then again, the price is very low so it makes sense)

all in all, i'd love to have one again in the future.
Would I be right in saying most of the presets are brash, distorted and with a digital edge, because alot of the Venom tunes and user videos show another side to this synth, more classic real analogue sounding, I was highly impressed by the wide range of sounds featured that were possible, from Modern Techno to Electro to 70's/80's classic patches. It's going to replace my Miniak, maybe sell it or give it to my 8 year old son. :)

breakmixer wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGpcX3vSaY

Hm this thing doesn't sound half as bad as the hundreds of people moaning about it on the net. Once again a case of STFU and create some decent presets i guess.... if people would just sit down and take gear like this to the limits, and try to get some nice sounds of it, the world would be a better place. :) Nice one.

Breakmixer, you have a very considerate wife 8) :hihi:
Some of the presets are very digital and cold. Some are suited for trance (meaning crap :hihi: )
However, there are some nice leads and pads included as well, and if you fiddle with the cutoff and resonance filters a bit most presets end up being quite useful, at least for my kind of music. The analog style drums are great and something I didn't have much of already so I'm definitely gonna use those in the future :-)

On the editor topic. They include it on the disc so I don't understand what all the fuzz is about. I suppose it works well nevertheless even if it won't be updated. Developers discontinue products everyday and updates are done for. yet we still use the instruments, right?
I don't see the need for updates if nothing is wrong with the old version. In my book there are way too many pointless updates costing truckloads of money where they add features that no one ends up using because they still haven't figured out what the last update did :hihi:
(Disclaimer: I haven't installed the editor supplied with the venom yet so I don't now whether it's crap and useless - my points made above are general assumptions on the whole "update thing)

K-Bee wrote:Breakmixer, you have a very considerate wife 8) :hihi:
Some of the presets are very digital and cold. Some are suited for trance (meaning crap :hihi: )
However, there are some nice leads and pads included as well, and if you fiddle with the cutoff and resonance filters a bit most presets end up being quite useful, at least for my kind of music. The analog style drums are great and something I didn't have much of already so I'm definitely gonna use those in the future :-)

On the editor topic. They include it on the disc so I don't understand what all the fuzz is about. I suppose it works well nevertheless even if it won't be updated. Developers discontinue products everyday and updates are done for. yet we still use the instruments, right?
I don't see the need for updates if nothing is wrong with the old version. In my book there are way too many pointless updates costing truckloads of money where they add features that no one ends up using because they still haven't figured out what the last update did :hihi:
(Disclaimer: I haven't installed the editor supplied with the venom yet so I don't now whether it's crap and useless - my points made above are general assumptions on the whole "update thing)
I think this is the latest version http://www.vyzor.com/Updates/Vyzex/Venom/ may have some bugs ironed out from the original factory disc! Yes my wife is £168 considerate, just not £950(Prophet 08) considerate! :hihi:

The editor is standalone only, M-Audio promised a VST editor a few months after the release as a paid upgrade - it never surfaced. Hopefully Mkdr will come to the rescue here. :)

wondering if you can run the editor in the background and use the synth with Cubase at the same time, i.e. minimalize cubase, tweak the editor, re-open cubase, I don't think you can, maybe someone knows... :?

breakmixer wrote:Would I be right in saying most of the presets are brash, distorted and with a digital edge.
definitely, it was marketed as a synthesizer built for aggressive sounds, and the presets reflect that. not my cup of tea at all.

but it is totaly capable of some beautiful mellow sounds. i've re-created some of my often used lead sounds on it and they sounded fantastic.

ah yes, another plus are the effects - totally usable!
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

breakmixer wrote: I think this is the latest version http://www.vyzor.com/Updates/Vyzex/Venom/ may have some bugs ironed out from the original factory disc!
Nothing there.. dead link.
The whole Vyzor thing smells like a scam.
www.mkdr.net

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”