M-Audio Venom Analog Modeling Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

breakmixer wrote:Yes, I definately have all I need now(along with my VST plugins),
Yeah, right! We all suffer from CGD (Compulsive Gear Disorder) around here, that's just the way things are :wink:

K-Bee wrote:
breakmixer wrote:Yes, I definately have all I need now(along with my VST plugins),
Yeah, right! We all suffer from CGD (Compulsive Gear Disorder) around here, that's just the way things are :wink:
I don't :D

This year i've bought Venom, Mopho, Trinity, MonotronDuo, MamMB33, IK Total Workstation & T-Racks Deluxe, Nokia N9... And I've got a Tetra on the way :oops:

But it's been all financed by my hobby: making music.

Btw. I'm now off to Germany and Oktoberfest!! Hello Beer :love:
I'll get back on the Venom editor in a couple of weeks.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

mkdr wrote:Btw. I'm now off to Germany and Oktoberfest!! Hello Beer :love:
Have a great time btw :party: , This must mean you have started the editor?! :hyper:
K-Bee wrote: Yeah, right! We all suffer from CGD (Compulsive Gear Disorder) around here, that's just the way things are :wink:
Well I got laid off today(weeks notice) after just working 36 weeks solid, so no money atm to buy more gear but plenty time to use it now, gonna take the whole of the rest of October off :D

Let's see if the hardware GAS is over, only time will tell! :oops:

K-Bee wrote:
BTW you got some cool tracks up, I deleted my soundcloud as I only had one tune up for ages as been to busy to make anything, I want to make a few tunes and redo it, Gonna take some time out to check your stuff...

You actually have a similar taste to me! I love all the old school 80's Hip Hop, Electro Funk, Street Soul, Freestyle, Hip House(Yep, Hip House :hihi: )

Who does the scratching btw?

Sorry for OT everyone! :oops:

Thanks breakmixer, I appreciate it.

Scatching is usually just some free samples found across the net (years ago) combined with a tapestop effect. I cut 'n slice and reverse making it sound like I'm Jazzy Jeff :hihi:

This, however, looks interesting. I'm usually not the one usic prefabricated stuff but when it comes to scratching I see no other option (no 1210's in the basement I'm afraid)
http://www.futureloops.com/product-scratchanthology.php
(there's a demo pack)

Back to the topic.
I just don't get how the effects section works when controlling it directly off the Venom (no editor). It seems things are happening randomly. You only have acces to compression, wah, distortion and a few others directly and the display keep changing back to the patch name after a second making it impossible to realize what's going on.
The editor gives you full control over reverb/flanger/delay/phaser etc but how on earth do I find those on the Venom itself??
This annoys me 'cause I just know it can be done!

So sorry about you loosing your job btw. It's a bitch trying to make it on welfare! Just be happy you got the Venom before the layoff :wink:

K-Bee wrote:Thanks breakmixer, I appreciate it.

Scatching is usually just some free samples found across the net (years ago) combined with a tapestop effect. I cut 'n slice and reverse making it sound like I'm Jazzy Jeff :hihi:

This, however, looks interesting. I'm usually not the one usic prefabricated stuff but when it comes to scratching I see no other option (no 1210's in the basement I'm afraid)
http://www.futureloops.com/product-scratchanthology.php
(there's a demo pack)
Luckilly I have some Stanton STR-150's, and a Scratching friend, also can do a little myself, and have a huge collection of old school Hip Hop/Electro 12"s, mostly like the 'Fresh', 'Aaaahs' and 'Just Feel It', showing my age here :hihi:
K-Bee wrote:Back to the topic.
I just don't get how the effects section works when controlling it directly off the Venom (no editor). It seems things are happening randomly. You only have acces to compression, wah, distortion and a few others directly and the display keep changing back to the patch name after a second making it impossible to realize what's going on.
The editor gives you full control over reverb/flanger/delay/phaser etc but how on earth do I find those on the Venom itself??
This annoys me 'cause I just know it can be done!
Have only messed with the Venom via the editor, will be going on it during the week, when wife at work and son at school! Sorry couldn't help here... :(
K-Bee wrote:So sorry about you loosing your job btw. It's a bitch trying to make it on welfare! Just be happy you got the Venom before the layoff :wink:
Self-Employed people in the UK get no benefits, will just survive on a little savings and wife wages, will be fine! :) Won't be long till work comes in again, probably at the same place, they lay off as soon as current work
completed! Time to enjoy myself, one full month on the music before worrying about a job! :party:

Looking forward to your musical output then. We have saying in danish (loosely translated) : "Nothing's as bad as it isn't good for anything" - in your case, that may be correct :wink:

As for the Venom, I'm really wanting to do as much as I can on the keyboard it self as I had to position the Venom directly opposite my computer, meaning I have my back turned against the laptop when playing (I've build a hardware cage now - and I'm locked inside it :lol: )

K-Bee wrote:Looking forward to your musical output then. We have saying in danish (loosely translated) : "Nothing's as bad as it isn't good for anything" - in your case, that may be correct :wink:

As for the Venom, I'm really wanting to do as much as I can on the keyboard it self as I had to position the Venom directly opposite my computer, meaning I have my back turned against the laptop when playing (I've build a hardware cage now - and I'm locked inside it :lol: )
That's the pisser with the editor, you have to use the actual Venom keyboard, I couldn't find a way to use my midi controller in standalone Editor mode, however with my Cubase/Editor workaround I can use my midi controller to play sounds of the venom whilst tweaking the editor, try it, I already posted how to do that, if you are cubase?!

Otherwise, how about a small midi controller plugged direct to the venom that you can find a space for or tuck away, maybe! Just for when doing sound design.

You WILL be able to play the Venom with your midi controller keyboard in your daw though,

Cheers! :D

Oh, I wasn't planning on using the Venon through my Kurzweil (which happens to be my main controller keyboard as well). But it works of course. There's something appealing about sitting with that 49 key synth and blast the shit out of everything :lol: Sometimes sitting in front of an weighted 88 key Kurz feels too "lush" if you get my drift :wink: (kind of a luxury problem, I know that :lol: )

I'm not on Cubase so I can't comment there but I figured out my effect section issue. That's one of the annoying things about the Venom. If you want to change effects you have to have the editor open. From there you choose the 2 aux effects to control by knobs. After that you can tweak the directly on the board. Only 2 are available at once though. I can live with that since I can always combine them with either virtual effects or the ones within my mixing console.
The effects section is probably the weakest part of the Venom, both in terms of sound quality and control.

The Venom is still €198 on Thomann.de
...just in case anyone forgot to buy one :wink:

breakmixer wrote:
mkdr wrote:Btw. I'm now off to Germany and Oktoberfest!! Hello Beer :love:
Have a great time btw :party: , This must mean you have started the editor?! :hyper:
Yes. I've started. Progress has been slow because i've had other projects rolling too. And because the manual has errors in it :bang:

Looking at the Vyzex editor, it seems to send messages that aren't even documented. This is turning out to be a real PAIN to build.

HW Buglist:
- Device ID in sysex messages is totally ignored..

Vyzex Buglist:
- The editor keeps sending sysex commands to address 15.. which doesn't exist. So no harm done, but still odd :P
www.mkdr.net

I have had a Venom for a few months. I didn't like the way of working with the Vyzex editor. Even when i updated to a newer version of the software (editor and firmware) it got a lot of bugs.

The synth itself froze up a lot, especially when turning a few knobs and playing chords right after loading a patch. And saving was really hard. I had to press save on the editor and the synth a lot of times after editting a patch or loading one. Even after a few times of pressing the save button it wouldn't save.

Don't get me wrong, you can make some nice sounds with it (theXcee patches are really great), but i just didn't like the workflow and wanted to get rid of it as soon as possible. I'm really glad i traded it with a friend for a Waldorf Blofeld!

Timecop1983 wrote:I have had a Venom for a few months. I didn't like the way of working with the Vyzex editor. Even when i updated to a newer version of the software (editor and firmware) it got a lot of bugs.

The synth itself froze up a lot, especially when turning a few knobs and playing chords right after loading a patch. And saving was really hard. I had to press save on the editor and the synth a lot of times after editting a patch or loading one. Even after a few times of pressing the save button it wouldn't save.
All that is about to change when i get this baby finished! :D
My editor will be using the proper sysex spec without unnecessary bug messages. Which should get rid of all the freezes. Saving of patches will be just two mouse clicks away, or automatic when you save your DAW's project. It's going to be as sweet as the MophoEd for the Dave Smith Instruments Mopho synth :!:
www.mkdr.net

Damn! mdkr, now you got me interested as well. When when when????? :shock: :)

Could you possibly make the editor hover in the air above my Venom so I don't have to turn around in order to use the laptop? Sorta like in Minority Report? :hihi:

K-Bee wrote:Damn! mdkr, now you got me interested as well. When when when????? :shock: :)

Could you possibly make the editor hover in the air above my Venom so I don't have to turn around in order to use the laptop? Sorta like in Minority Report? :hihi:
Haha LOL! :lol:

I'll try my best :D

I still need to have time to make the necessary gui elements and such. I could make a rudimentary "single"-mode editor pretty quickly.. but what i really want is to get the "multi"-mode to rock! That's roughly a thousand parameters though :-o

I have this great incentive though.. I wan't it myself as bad as you do!! :hihi:
www.mkdr.net

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”