M-Audio Venom Analog Modeling Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see it just fine, and can download it...

Ashe37 wrote:I see it just fine, and can download it...
Ah, now it works. It was down earlier.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

I can easily live with a stand-alone editor. I've done so with the Kurzweil Sound Tower for over 2 years now.

K-Bee wrote:I can easily live with a stand-alone editor. I've done so with the Kurzweil Sound Tower for over 2 years now.
I used to live with just the hw-synths memory. Then when i got to a point i had to remake a hit song from a year back, or work on tens of projects at the same time.. it all fell apart. It is possible. But easier is always easier :)
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

How does Venom sound relative to a decent software VA? Something like Saurus?

cyberheater wrote:How does Venom sound relative to a decent software VA? Something like Saurus?
I don't know Saurus and I'm far from an expert on the big name VA's like Diva. (in terms of plugins I usually use freebies)

But I love the Venom sound. It seems very flexible too. Sadly I've been quite busy since I got it 3 days ago so I haven't been playing with it that much.
Still, my advice is to get it if you're looking for a hardware synth and won't spend much. It's worth it :D

K-Bee wrote:
cyberheater wrote:How does Venom sound relative to a decent software VA? Something like Saurus?
I don't know Saurus and I'm far from an expert on the big name VA's like Diva. (in terms of plugins I usually use freebies)

But I love the Venom sound. It seems very flexible too. Sadly I've been quite busy since I got it 3 days ago so I haven't been playing with it that much.
Still, my advice is to get it if you're looking for a hardware synth and won't spend much. It's worth it :D
Got mine today(only or ordered from Germany 2 days ago :o ), had a browse through the presets using just a pair of Desktop pc speakers in the lounge, sounds nice and warm, but with a bit of digital crunch to it(if you understand what I mean :hihi: ). Very happy with the sound, not all the presets are my cuppa tea, but when I like them - I like them! It's like a modern/vintage hybrid sounding synth overall, so I can see this getting alot of use... :D

Next step will be to install the standalone editor and set it up in the studio to see how all that's going to work - usually only buy synths that have vst editors available - so gonna be a new way for me! Until Mkdr makes one :pray:

You pretty much feel the same way I do breakmixer. I kinda expected you to as well :wink: The Venom will do us both good, I'm sure :)

Set it up today! Here's what I found!

Venom works as an audio interface - I was out of inputs on my small mixing desk, I was able to route my Roland Alpha Juno audio through Venom! :D

Cubase useage - It is possible to use the editor whilst running Venom in Cubase, you have to boot the editor first(prior to booting Cubase - will not work the other way around), Boot Cubase, Create a midi channel for venom, then click the venom icon(I put it in the task bar), it will appear like a 'virtual' plugin :lol: in cubase and seem no different to using a vst editor! Then after wards before saving your project just note the bank/preset used in Cubases Venom midi channel notepad.

Saving edited presets is a breeze, edit your preset, click store on the editor UI, choose where to save it too(options are bank C/D only) and overwite any preset you choose within bank C/D then hit store again.

This thing can sound very vintage analogue to my ears(Big IMO here), the presets mostly do not show this, also many patches are monophonic - seem to outway the Polyphonic patches.

I couldn't find a way to use my main midi controller to play sounds with the editor/venom, could only do that once within cubase. maybe my lack of knowledge here - may need to RTFM.

So all in all very happy with this - having a VST editor is not that important, just would be nice for instant recall and not having to boot up the editor before running cubase every time - incase I use Venom in that session!

i have had the venom since it came out. I know this really well and am ready to be of service. still tryin to see some sort of community build around this synthesizer... i have been trying to post regularly on the maudio forums. venomsynth.com appears to be dead but there are resources there. the vyzone site, the people who are supposed to be developing the software, also appears dead... although there is a pre release team that appears to be posting on the private forum, so hopefully they are still working on it :roll:

im hoping my boy MKDR comes through with a vst plugin version of the editor cuz vyzone has been promising for 2 years and still nothing! PLEASE MKDR add to your growing legend status and do the impossible! Outperforming these companies that get contracted to integrate software can only be good for you right!

peace

Ah M-Audio :) What could be next for you after this fabulous hardware beast?

Hmmm

Maybe combine with this New skin for this sexy Roland Clone

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 81#5083081
and make a monster synth for history to remember!

We shall see what the future holds for Avid :P

It seems you've been having some fun with the Venom so far breakmixer. Good discoveries so far. I'm not gonna use the sound card option though but I was aware it was there.
Ever since I got mine I haven't had time to even turn it on. Only the first day or so. Every time I buy something I' bombarded with work and other engagements :cry:
WHY???? :x

K-Bee wrote:It seems you've been having some fun with the Venom so far breakmixer. Good discoveries so far. I'm not gonna use the sound card option though but I was aware it was there.
Ever since I got mine I haven't had time to even turn it on. Only the first day or so. Every time I buy something I' bombarded with work and other engagements :cry:
WHY???? :x
Same story here, had a play last week, mainly wanted to see about the workflow and what I could do with the editor in conjuction with a DAW, good they can be run at the same time. Then the next day had to work away for 6 days, one day back to do family stuff today then work again tommorow, I'm self employed so sometimes I can have weeks at a time for my hobby. especially between contracts during this recession....this current one runs out soon! so it's :( on the money side but :D for time in my little studio and getting more into the Venom....

I wonder if this is a sign that we should stuff buying stuff then? :hihi: :cry:

K-Bee wrote:I wonder if this is a sign that we should stuff buying stuff then? :hihi: :cry:
I bought a Roland Alpha Juno, Mopho Desktop, Yamaha DX-21 in the past year, along with Venom I hope I'm done :oops: .

I have stopped looking at the Prophet 08 online/on ebay since I got it, so it must have convinced me :D

Yes, I definately have all I need now(along with my VST plugins), time to stop buying and actually use it all(when I get time too :cry: )...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”