Clavia Nord Lead 2X (Worth buying) or better to use VST synth to emulate its sounds ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm trying to decide if buying a Clavia Nord Lead 2X is a good idea, or if I should just use VST Synths to get similar sounds to the Clavia Nord Lead 2X ?

Can the Clavia Nord Lead 2X sounds be emulated via VST Synths ? i.e Omnisphere, Zebra 2, Sylenth 1, FM8, Rhino, ...etc.

Any opinions or feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Muziksculp

The Nord Lead is one of the most awesome synths ever imo. And I'm not just talking about VA synths here. The filter sounds like it's made of rubber somehow, completely unique.
You could try the DiscoDSP Discovery VST. I never tried it but I guess it's worth a try.

Cheers
Dennis

Bronto Scorpio wrote:The Nord Lead is one of the most awesome synths ever imo. And I'm not just talking about VA synths here. The filter sounds like it's made of rubber somehow, completely unique.
You could try the DiscoDSP Discovery VST. I never tried it but I guess it's worth a try.

Cheers
Dennis
Thanks for the feedback, and suggestion.

discovery sounds pretty good, but the filters on the Nord Lead 2X are the real star, I totally agree with you, I have not heard that specific character from VST emulations of the actual Nord Lead 2X VA synth.

'Rubbery' filters is a very good, and accurate descrpition of the Nord Lead 2X filter's characteristic/signature sound :)

Tough to make a fast decision on which way to go.

VSTs offer so much more flexibility, and polyphony. and no need to connect power cord, midi cables,audio cables, and space requirement, then the additional need to apply effects, since the Nord Lead 2X has no built-in effects.

Not an easy decision to make, also there is the cost factor !

I just pulled the trigger on a brand new 'Clavia' Nord Lead 2X (Rack).

imho, it is a very unique (VA) synth, and will surely provide me with a lot of additional synthetic textures/colors, sit nicely in my studio, and complement my other synths.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Good decision! :tu:
I'm sure you'll have fun with your new toy :)

Cheers
Dennis

Bronto Scorpio wrote:Good decision! :tu:
I'm sure you'll have fun with your new toy :)

Cheers
Dennis
Thanks !

Yup, I'm sure it's going to be fun toy and it's RED

:hihi:

Even if you get bored with it, you could still use it as a general-purpose MIDI controller for all your VA synths.

The default MIDI map of Dune is pretty close to the Nord Lead, should be fun! :)

Rich
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Electro-Music.com's Nord Lead/Wave forum. It has some interesting tips for sound design on those red beasties.

Winstontaneous wrote:If you haven't already, be sure to check out Electro-Music.com's Nord Lead/Wave forum. It has some interesting tips for sound design on those red beasties.
Thank You Very Much !

I didn't know this forum existed. It will surely be very helpful.

All The Best,
Muziksculp

Nord Lead 2 is awesome, I have the normal "non X" version. You won't regret buying it.

Also Synth1, http://www.kvraudio.com/get/214.html, is modelled after the NL2 :wink:

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

I'm looking forward to receive my new RED Toy !

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the Arturia 'ORIGIN' Synth ?

I have been trying to evaluate it, but it has not been very easy, the audio demos don't sound very inspiring to my ears.

Any 'ORIGIN' users here ?

What do you folks think about Arturia's 'ORIGIN' Synth ?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Muziksulp

Congrats! Nobody said Discovery can import Nord Lead 2 SysEx too so it is a great complement for your synth. MIDI CC is almost identical too.

I've tried Discovery and it does indeed load Nord .sysex files. Soundwise, that's your call.

Hardware gears are always the best choice, they're designed to produce serious, pro level sounds. Many things the synth can do while the VST can't, like the easiness of GUI, real physical shape is essential, ability to play it without the need to DAW, lower latencies, the feeling is much better after all & it always comes with unique stuff, like performances, arpeggiators ets...

They were always saying that nearest Virus clone is/was Vanguard, I bought it and regret it big time, then I purchased the Virus TI2 desktop, no need to say that it is a one mean mother-*ucker beast :D
So do it, get you Nord Lead2

Hi,

I will have a chance to evaluate the Arturia ORIGIN this afternoon at a music retailer, the Arturia Rep will be giving a clinic on the ORIGIN. Hopefully I will be able to provide some useful feedback, and my overall thoughts about the ORIGIN on this thread.

Cheers,

Muziksculp

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”