Moog Minitaur

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

djshire wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:..... Wake up, Korg. This is what you should be doing instead of dipping your toes in with the fantastic but somewhat toy like Monotrons. I love the Monotrons but everyone knows you should be doing the full analogue MS-MINI synth :wink:
And that's where you're wrong. For most people that are used to soft synths, this is still pretty damn expensive..
A lot of people that use soft synths don't pay for them At all! So this would be pretty expensive to them :D But not expensive for a Moog synth :wink: I've always felt like there was more value in hardware obviously because you're getting something physical + it sounds better.

Uncle E wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:..... Wake up, Korg. This is what you should be doing instead of dipping your toes in with the fantastic but somewhat toy like Monotrons. I love the Monotrons but everyone knows you should be doing the full analogue MS-MINI synth :wink:
Monotron USB is the correct next step, IMO.
Some people have already modded the Monotron to have a MIDI input, which makes the machine so much more flexible. Surely Korg must be working on something a bit more impressive than the Monotrons? The Monotribe never really cut it for me. It was basically a Monotron with 4 drum samples & an extremely simple sequencer. Korg marketed the Monotribe as a sort of modern take on the Electribe machines, which I thought was all wrong when it only had 4 drums sounds that couldn't be edited.

... I digress. More Minitaur demos please :wink: Let's see what this baby can do.:D

Dogboy73 wrote: A lot of people that use soft synths don't pay for them At all! So this would be pretty expensive to them :D But not expensive for a Moog synth :wink: I've always felt like there was more value in hardware obviously because you're getting something physical + it sounds better.
yeah,those constantly complain that their computer is running like shit. :hihi:

t3toooo wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote: A lot of people that use soft synths don't pay for them At all! So this would be pretty expensive to them :D But not expensive for a Moog synth :wink: I've always felt like there was more value in hardware obviously because you're getting something physical + it sounds better.
yeah,those constantly complain that their computer is running like shit. :hihi:
I know the ones - "I downloaded this soft synth from a torrent site & it won't work properly. Help!". Shut up & buy some hardware :wink:

You don't hear it. But the Minitaur makes an appearance in this video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8uWrP1uD9U
(Yes, I know. I'm really scraping the barrel for Minitaur GAS now!! :help:)

Given that it's basically just a Taurus 3 sans pedals, can't you just check out some Taurus 3 videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNATdBH ... ure=relmfu

Uncle E wrote:Given that it's basically just a Taurus 3 sans pedals, can't you just check out some Taurus 3 videos?
Now that's a very good point :oops:

There will be some differences to bear in mind though.

Minitaur adds over the Taurus 3: square wave option on either VCO, full ADSR (albeit with Minimoog-style limitations).

It loses arpeggiator, memories and selectable LFO waveforms (oh, and those big pedally things of course).

Everything else seems the same.

03:19 - 03:40 gives you some indication of the upper range you were asking about.

justin3am wrote:I'm thinking about getting one of these as a replacement for my SH-2. I like the desktop form-factor.

I'm not a huge fan of the Moog sound, but this may be right up my alley.
Why'd you sell/are selling your SH-2?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
justin3am wrote:I'm thinking about getting one of these as a replacement for my SH-2. I like the desktop form-factor.

I'm not a huge fan of the Moog sound, but this may be right up my alley.
Why'd you sell/are selling your SH-2?
I don't wanna say Diva killed it but... :hihi:
Honestly, I used it in a few projects, then it sat in my closet for six months while something I'm working on occupied it's space on my keyboard stand. Someone offered to buy it from me for more than it cost me, so he has it now. Don't get me wrong, I loved the way it sounded and if I need a beefy bass monster again I'll probably buy another... But in my studio, space is more valuable than the gear that occupies it.

I also start feeling guilty about holding onto hardware that I'm not using. I'm no collector, synths are made to be played!

I emailed Moog asking if we were going to see more of the Minitaur before NAMM. Got this back;
You will see a lot of videos from NAMM and after. Unfortunately, until then, we'll be getting the Minitaur ready for its big debut.
So sounds like we'll have to wait until NAMM (which is not that far off now) before we get a real good look at this beasty :wink:

Uncle E wrote:
There's a mod that adds MIDI, one-shot mode for the sawtooth LFO, and a pulse oscillator mode with pulsewidth knob. Had Korg made the monotron like THIS, and sold it for, say, 75 (pounds) or something (maybe even 100?), it'd feel a lot less toy-like to me. It would be a REAL synth! As it stands, it's an excellent but rather noisy filter box with an almost unusable oscillator tacked on :/
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
There's a mod that adds MIDI, one-shot mode for the sawtooth LFO, and a pulse oscillator mode with pulsewidth knob. Had Korg made the monotron like THIS, and sold it for, say, 75 (pounds) or something (maybe even 100?), it'd feel a lot less toy-like to me. It would be a REAL synth! As it stands, it's an excellent but rather noisy filter box with an almost unusable oscillator tacked on :/
Agreed. The modders are showing Korg the way .... or at least the way they would like the Monotron to be. I think Korg encouraged this by conveniently labelling up the circuit boards in the Monotron so potential modders knew where to solder what. But why Korg just don't expand on this I don't know. Anyway, modders showing Korg the way. Moog making the synth for them with the Minitaur!! Don't miss the boat, Korg. There is still time for the MS-30 analogue desktop synth :wink:

Dogboy73 wrote:Korg. There is still time for the MS-30 analogue desktop synth :wink:
I'd prefer something like an MS-50 but with 2 or 3 VCOs. They can call it MS-whatever, I don't care.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Shy wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:Korg. There is still time for the MS-30 analogue desktop synth :wink:
I'd prefer something like an MS-50 but with 2 or 3 VCOs. They can call it MS-whatever, I don't care.
Absolutely. They can call it the MS-MICROFU**ER for all I care! But it seems pretty universal that people are hoping Monotron leads to something more from Korg (and I'm not talking about the half arsed MonoTribe :?).

It's definitely frustrating that a company that used to make something as awesome as MS-50 now just comes up with toys.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”