Moog Minitaur

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote: :tu: Love This Heat and Camberwell Now - and I live in Camberwell so they were my local band (but they disbanded long before I moved here, oh well).

Actually the New Wave were better than Punk in my view if look at the longevity and diversity of those bands compared to the pure Punk bands. I'd chuck Magazine and Tubeway Army and even The Stranglers in there too. The Stranglers were always odd as they were accepted as a Punk band but used tons of keyboard sounds, which in my mind made them more New Wave before the New Wave I suppose.
Yup. To me, the original statement was highly at odds with my own experience. I grew up on punk, but it was far more notably the new wave/post-punk bands who actually pushed the boat out and really experimented with what music could be, in ways that punk really never quite had.

You could hear the direct influences of rock'n'roll, or glam and other strands in some of the original punk bands, but the post-punk bands were so uniquely disparate that almost nothing could be said to be a unifying source behind it, except for a massively collective of tearing up the rulebook that even punk largely reused.
this is where we disagree. with there rare exceptions of a few bands songs, id say the entire new wave movement just started the way back to formulaic music, but this time in a more "diverse" way. kind of the same way the "anticorporate" hippies became the ultimate consumers once the coprporations adapted to the new "self expressive" form of consumerism. music again became a product instead of a weapon

Dogboy73 wrote:So what will the street price end up being?
We have it for $499 when you enter the "analog100" coupon code. It should be cheap to ship, too. :)

atraf11 wrote: music again became a product instead of a weapon
i wonder of the three (minitaur, minibrute, or pulse 2) which would make the better weapon?

Dogboy73 wrote:Anyway, the general consensus seemed to be that this thing rocks!
Agreed.
Some key points were that it felt solid & robust
The Minibrute's at NAMM felt like the Mopho/Mopho Keyboard and not as solid and robust as the Minitaur and Little Phatty.
"the MiniBrute's may be the most advanced analogue oscillator that I have ever seen on a non-modular monosynth", they wrote that the waveform special function controls really add a lot to this thing in terms of scope & depth, excellent modulation for a synth of this type/size.
Agreed on all points.
They summed up partly by saying that in terms of vintage single oscillator competition they would go for the Minibrute over these for it's wider sonic pallet & performance capabilities. Praise indeed :love:
Agreed.
The Future Music review of the Minitaur was equally glowing & I'm still preferring this over the Minibrute & will likely buy one of these ASAP!
They're completely different kinds of instruments. It's pointless to compare and contrast them because they simply serve different purposes, and that's why I think they'll work so well together.
Like SoS I don't really like the 2 octave keyboard on the Minibrute. It's too small & a bit pointless with so many MIDI controllers out there. But that's just me. I would have preferred the Minibrute without the keyboard since I'd be triggering this from my 49 key aftertouch MIDI keyboard first & foremost. Horses for courses :wink:
One cool thing about its size is I think it's small enough to fit into a 19" rack. How cool might that be for a portable rig?

and i, for one, encourage diversity in my formulas...

atraf11 wrote:this is where we disagree. with there rare exceptions of a few bands songs, id say the entire new wave movement just started the way back to formulaic music, but this time in a more "diverse" way.
kind of the same way the "anticorporate" hippies became the ultimate consumers once the coprporations adapted to the new "self expressive" form of consumerism. music again became a product instead of a weapon
im not inclined to agree with either generalisation. it may be better starting a separate thread about it though...

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:and i, for one, encourage diversity in my formulas...
Hmmm. I dont like mixing my formulas for alcohols. Drinking isopropyl gives me a headache.

whyterabbyt wrote: Drinking isopropyl gives me a headache.
if you drink enough your headache will go away...

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
what about the bleedng from the eyes?

whyterabbyt wrote:
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
that just makes you more punk...

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
that just makes you more punk...
so edbo wont like it.

Dogboy73 wrote:
whitecloud wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:
atraf11 wrote:
Uncle E wrote:Moog told me it'll begin shipping next month.
Moog told me theyre shipping next WEEK ;)
http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/02/moog-m ... -next.html

Time to get those pennies together :shock: After reading the Sound On Sound review of the Arturia Minibrute I've decided I want one of those as well :wink:
Say could you give me the general consensus, in conclusion SOS had to say about the MiniBrute? Especially what tipped you over the fence you may of been on regarding the possibility of pulling the trigger on the MiniBrute. I am not a subscriber and just read the little they shared for us that haven't subscribed yet.
I'm not subscribed either. I just bought this review for £0.99 since SoS doesn't seem to be available from Zinio or on the Apple Newsstand. Anyway, the general consensus seemed to be that this thing rocks! Some key points were that it felt solid & robust, "the MiniBrute's may be the most advanced analogue oscillator that I have ever seen on a non-modular monosynth", they wrote that the waveform special function controls really add a lot to this thing in terms of scope & depth, excellent modulation for a synth of this type/size. They also said that it was an analogue synthesizer of the old school that took a good 5 minutes to warm up before it was even playable! Sweet :wink: They didn't like the 2 octave keyboard & hoped for a bigger version & said the name of the synth sounded like an after shave for 14 year old boys!! :lol: They summed up partly by saying that in terms of vintage single oscillator competition they would go for the Minibrute over these for it's wider sonic pallet & performance capabilities. Praise indeed :love:

The Future Music review of the Minitaur was equally glowing & I'm still preferring this over the Minibrute & will likely buy one of these ASAP! Like SoS I don't really like the 2 octave keyboard on the Minibrute. It's too small & a bit pointless with so many MIDI controllers out there. But that's just me. I would have preferred the Minibrute without the keyboard since I'd be triggering this from my 49 key aftertouch MIDI keyboard first & foremost. Horses for courses :wink:
Thanks for the heads up. Letting the MiniBrute warm up is no biggie for me, as a Guitarist I am more than patient to let my tube amps warm up as well.
Speaking of Tube amps, sure some have several channels, modes or character switches for different tone, but in the end, if I get just one wanna die for tone, that is enough for me to buy it. Same may apply here as well re: Mintaur
I've heard some Monstrous Bass from the clips and vids and though I am not sure how much tweaking would achieve anything more than that from what I've seen, seems like it is hard to resist wanted one even though it may just be a one trick pony. The two would seem like a natural pairing, but if anyone has something to add or share anything other than what I've seen/heard that just showcases just a Basic Analog Bass voicing, please jump in. I would like to know more about the Minitaur as from looking at the front panel and knobs, it doesn't appear to be much under the hood other than super sweet Basses.

Uncle E wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:Anyway, the general consensus seemed to be that this thing rocks!
Agreed.
Some key points were that it felt solid & robust
The Minibrute's at NAMM felt like the Mopho/Mopho Keyboard and not as solid and robust as the Minitaur and Little Phatty.
"the MiniBrute's may be the most advanced analogue oscillator that I have ever seen on a non-modular monosynth", they wrote that the waveform special function controls really add a lot to this thing in terms of scope & depth, excellent modulation for a synth of this type/size.
Agreed on all points.
They summed up partly by saying that in terms of vintage single oscillator competition they would go for the Minibrute over these for it's wider sonic pallet & performance capabilities. Praise indeed :love:
Agreed.
The Future Music review of the Minitaur was equally glowing & I'm still preferring this over the Minibrute & will likely buy one of these ASAP!
They're completely different kinds of instruments. It's pointless to compare and contrast them because they simply serve different purposes, and that's why I think they'll work so well together.
Like SoS I don't really like the 2 octave keyboard on the Minibrute. It's too small & a bit pointless with so many MIDI controllers out there. But that's just me. I would have preferred the Minibrute without the keyboard since I'd be triggering this from my 49 key aftertouch MIDI keyboard first & foremost. Horses for courses :wink:
One cool thing about its size is I think it's small enough to fit into a 19" rack. How cool might that be for a portable rig?
One would think that 19" rack would be within reach to access all the abundance
of knobs and sliders etc. I am assuming the MiniBrute can receive note on midi
from another Controller as I have 37 and 49 keyboard midi controllers and the aftertouch going as well. Midi merge boxes and patchbays, I'm thinking when I want a wider octave range I would mess with the MiniBrute itself, get something happening and use a larger keybed while twisting away on the MiniBrute
That would work for me.

whitecloud wrote:Speaking of Tube amps, sure some have several channels, modes or character switches for different tone, but in the end, if I get just one wanna die for tone, that is enough for me to buy it. Same may apply here as well re: Mintaur
Interesting point! I love my single channel, one sound Dr. Z MAZ 18 way more than my do-it-all, uber versatile Egnater TOL100 so perhaps that's why I'm such a fan of the Minitaur. :)
I've heard some Monstrous Bass from the clips and vids and though I am not sure how much tweaking would achieve anything more than that from what I've seen, seems like it is hard to resist wanted one even though it may just be a one trick pony. The two would seem like a natural pairing, but if anyone has something to add or share anything other than what I've seen/heard that just showcases just a Basic Analog Bass voicing, please jump in. I would like to know more about the Minitaur as from looking at the front panel and knobs, it doesn't appear to be much under the hood other than super sweet Basses.
I got some super sweet detuned leads out of the Minitaur at the NAMM show. Juicy, liquidy, and very much what I'm after when programming a Minimoog lead (moreso than I've gotten from a Voyager or Little Phatty). Similarly, I got some super stable SH-101-style basses out of the Minibrute so neither one is a one trick pony.

The Future Music review is now up on Music Radar;

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/keys ... eview?save

EDIT: Incidentally the price of £443 is apparently wrong.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”