Moog Minitaur

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Time is supposed to be speeding up due to some astrological bullshit, but for me it seems slow as f**k...WAITING FOR THIS BASTARD to reach stores in Japan! :cry: :help:

Ford Prefect wrote:Time is supposed to be speeding up due to some astrological bullshit, but for me it seems slow as f**k...WAITING FOR THIS BASTARD to reach stores in Japan! :cry: :help:
It's the same in the UK. All outlets I've contacted are happy to take pre-orders ...... yet none of them have a firm ETA as to when this thing is going to appear even in limited numbers. I don't mind waiting for this thing to appear. But the whole pre-order thing just seems to confound the situation for me. I mean if you've actually ordered it then now you're waiting for it, expecting it to turn up some time soon(ish). But this might not be the case! So the whole pre-order thing just f**ks with your head!! :help: "pre-order? How about you give me a call when you have them in stock?" :? :shock:

I think we're finally getting them in Australia this Friday.

meldavid wrote:I think we're finally getting them in Australia this Friday.
We're moving to Australia at the end of June :) I'm wondering whether to just wait until I get there or buy one here at the first possible opportunity :?

Dogboy73 wrote:The Sonic State review is here!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moe6aVNC ... ature=plcp :hihi:
Nice video, Sonic State reviews are generally a great watch.
Deep N' Dusty House Grooves !!!
Artist: http://soundcloud.com/nigel
Label: http://soundcloud.com/diplopiarecords

I got one yesterday. My local shop here very far north in Trondheim suddenly had 2 in the shop. (This is Trondheim in Norway and almost the end of the world). There are 5 in the country, and the rest will ship in May.

It is very simple, it took me ca. 5 minutes to explore all the sound possbilities. The sound is very soft like butter, and very fat. It can sound fat even without delay or reverb, and I have never experienced that when I have tried little phatty in the shop. And it has got the moog sound I searched for, and never found in the Phatty. The brightness is still not as crisp as my softsynths, it is actually duller, but they say it is the brightest of the new moogs. From listening to Automatic Gainsay's videos I would say that Minibrute has crisper and more raspy oscillator. The Minitaur oscillator is more polite.

I disagree with the resonance level scaling. It seems to be linear, so the sound start to fade away as soon as I start to add resonance. I would have liked a more inv. exp curve compensation system. You actually have to increase volume when you add a little bit of resonance. 'The resonance self oscillation is like a very pure sine wave that do not blend with the sound, but is like a sine wave on top of the sound. It is totally different from the MS20, Minibrute and Monotribe that screams like crazy when you add resonance. The resonance on Minitaur is very , very polite. Actually I prefer the sound with no resonance, there is no magic to the sound when I add resonance, the sound seems to become weaker and less powerful.

The env is perfect and very musical. And very snappy. The most agressive tones, that still is quite polite, can be had with short snappy enveloes.

Wish list: The synth would have been so much more versatile with Pulse width modulation, or even fixed puse-width settings. Fixed pulse values like the Minimoog had made a big selection of reedy leadsounds possible.

So it is very limited and polite, but it has got that moog sound that I love. This unit is not for users that are not players, and like to sequence and make crazy effects, and like the resonance to scream. It is a polite very fat synth with a classic buttery soft sound and is a champion on simple fat sounds and bass. It sounds very good for soft lead sounds.

And I can confirm that the osc are hardware limited to C5 (note 72). What happens when you play between C4 and C5 with osc2 set to +1 octave, is that osc2 will play C5 on all notes between C4 and C5. So it is obvious that it has a built in limiter.

Nig wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:The Sonic State review is here!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moe6aVNC ... ature=plcp :hihi:
Nice video, Sonic State reviews are generally a great watch.
The Note sync feature is really nice!
I'm not 100% sure but I think the Minitaur is the first analog synth with that ability :)

Cheers
Dennis

gunnare wrote:So it is very limited and polite, but it has got that moog sound that I love. This unit is not for users that are not players, and like to sequence and make crazy effects, and like the resonance to scream. It is a polite very fat synth with a classic buttery soft sound and is a champion on simple fat sounds and bass. It sounds very good for soft lead sounds.
Wow! Excellent review! May I post it on jrrshop.com?

Yes, you can post it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”