Moog Minitaur

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's a much better video than the first. Finally get to hear the square wave. I like the sawtooth/square mix - something I cannot do on my Taurus 3.

A minor point, but all the US presenters are saying "minitar" whereas in the UK we would say "minitor" - like the mythical creature the Minotaur which we generally pronounce "myno-tor" (sometimes "min-oh-tor"). I think "minitar" sounds like some cheap guitar controller.

Well, ya can't always get what you want. Many still say Moo -g like a cow sound and only a few say Mo -g
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Minitaur vids from NAMM 2012 have started appearing on YouTube now;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAMZ9L3KoEo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXUabT-VXdA

I'm liking this much more than the Minibrute, although the Minibrute clearly has a more impressive feature set & much greater tonal range. Not heard from the Waldorf Pulse 2 yet but I'm not liking the lack of knobs on that thing.

The MiniBrute is an incredibly interesting synth. It makes sounds I've never heard before! However, as cool as it is, keep in mind that it only has a single oscillator (its super saw may make up for that for a lot of people) so it's not directly comparable to the Taurus or Pulse 2. One of each, please.

I love the original Pulse. It's huge sounding.

Best Minitaur NAMM demo I've seen so far;

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2012/01/ ... -minitaur/

This shows a couple of neat features I don't think we've seen before. Also re-iterates that every parameter is controllable via MIDI CC. Spot on :wink:

Dogboy73 wrote:Also re-iterates that every parameter is controllable via MIDI CC. Spot on :wink:
There will be a VST editor with patch recall! I played it at the show and absolutely fell in love with its huge, animated sound. IMO, it's the best instrument Moog has made in decades and I much prefer it over the Voyager, the Little Phatty, and even my original Moog Prodigy.

Uncle E wrote: IMO, it's the best instrument Moog has made in decades and I much prefer it over the Voyager, the Little Phatty, and even my original Moog Prodigy.
Wow! Praise indeed. I must say I'm grinning from ear to ar just listening to the YouTube demos :D I want this thing yesterday. I'll take one of those Arturia Minibrutes as well :wink: Minitaur and Minibrute hooked up via the CV connectivity. I'll throw my Neptune 2 in there as well. Ooh yeah 8)

Dogboy73 wrote:I'll take one of those Arturia Minibrutes as well :wink: Minitaur and Minibrute hooked up via the CV connectivity.
Yes, I think that would be a perfect combo, given that they have such different strengths. Minitaur for huge basses and Minibrute for wild, ripping leads.

the latest issue of Future Music magazine has a preview of the Minitaur. They have the price at £390! I'm about 99.9% sure that is completely wrong as we've been seeing £499 everywhere else ...... but if it was £390?! I'd be as happy as a pig in shit :wink:

justin3am wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Seems a bit odd to me... like a more limited Slim Phatty for almost the same cost.
I think this is aimed at people who want a knob for every function, with no menus. It is bit limited compared to the Phattys but all those pots cost money.
I got a Slim Phatty since some months and personally i would be interested in a comparison with Minitaur as the Slim Phatty seems to have all features of the Minitaur and several more (including the Audio in and CV connections).

Anyone heard or tested those two side by side yet?

As there is no octave switch for the oscillators in the Minitaur: Is this working at a setting of 64', 32' or 16'? At the Slim Phatty you get 32' with a setting of 16' in the oscillator section and transposing one octave down. Reaching 64' is possible when transposing two octaves down.

BTW with the latest price drop for the Slim Phatty the price difference to the minitaur seems to get even less. I had paid 799 Euros (incl. VAT) for the Slim Phatty and now you get it for 100+ Euros less AFAIK.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: I got a Slim Phatty since some months and personally i would be interested in a comparison with Minitaur as the Slim Phatty seems to have all features of the Minitaur and several more (including the Audio in and CV connections).

[...]

As there is no octave switch for the oscillators in the Minitaur: Is this working at a setting of 64', 32' or 16'? At the Slim Phatty you get 32' with a setting of 16' in the oscillator section and transposing one octave down. Reaching 64' is possible when transposing two octaves down.
The SP may have the features but it has a different sound. Whether it's different enough will be up to every individual. On specs alone there are many two osc synths that cover the Minitaur's features, but do not have that solid bass sound.

I am sure the Minitaur will work just like my Taurus 3 when it comes to pitch range. i.e when the T3 is played via MIDI you have 5 octaves below middle C, so you don't need an octave switch - you just use the range of your MIDI keyboard. The Taurus 3 and Minitaur go quite low (the lowest notes frankly are unusable as you can't tell the pitch anymore it's so low).

Ingonator wrote: Anyone heard or tested those two side by side yet?Ingo
Moog Taurus I, Taurus III and Minitaur OSC technology is V/Hz,- in opposite to all the other MOOGs based on V/oct technology.
It's pretty usefull for synth bass sounds because if you slightly detune the OSCs, the frequency beating keeps nearly constant over the entire frequency range, resulting in much less unwanted phase cancellation and amplitude modulation while playing different notes.
Also the VCF is different in Taurus I, III and Minitaur compared to other MOOG synths even it's a MOOG ladder filter.
The Taurus/Minitaur was and is well optimized for low end.

I'd say, a Minimoog D, Voyager, Little- or Slim-Phatty together w/ a Minitaur will make a great combo.

I regret I sold my Taurus I for cheap mid 80th, so Minitaur is very welcome.
And because Minitaur is so small, it can be placed everywhere in a rig, interfaces over MIDI, CV/GATE and USB.

For me, it's the most interesting little toy being introduced @NAMM.
My Minimoog D is waiting for the release of it's little grandson now.

PeWe

Mr Arkadin wrote:The Taurus 3 and Minitaur go quite low (the lowest notes frankly are unusable as you can't tell the pitch anymore it's so low).
Same thing on my Neptune 2 - if you go low enough you don't really hear pitch anymore. You start to loose that definition & you feel it more than hear it. So I'm wondering how 5 octaves below middle C actually sounds! Will those lower octaves just be a deep, wobbly, room shaking mess? :? Or how will 5 octaves below sound with the oscillators both turned down & the filter at self oscillation? Actually I should try this with the Neptune 2 to give me some idea.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”