Arturia new hardware Analogue Synth MiniBrute for 499 euro

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

himalaya wrote:Tetra vs Minibrute?
These do not stand oposed against each other in my view, but rather complement each other extremely well. I can't see anyone desiring a performance analogue VCO-based monosynth choosing a poly synth module with zero performance capabilities, just like I can't see anyone choosing a mono synth when looking for a poly synth! :ud:
Spot-on.

If you can't play it like an instrument intuitively, you've got something with a good sound that's more of a pain in the ass to use compared to software (wires, MIDI, lack of integration with the DAW), which just isn't worth it to most people.
Well, I kinda agree on this point. As I mentioned earlier, the manufacturers are divorcing themselves from the software portion of the synthesiser which creates great problems. People have a real stigma toward using software controlled analogue synths. The statement is true of the Tetra: you can't play it like an instrument intuitively. But, there's a reason for that, and it's nothing to do with the fact that it's a DCO based synth. The reason is that DSI outsourced the editor to a crappy 3rd party company.

If you look at Maschine, you can see a careful cooperation between the people who make the software and the people who make the hardware. Maschine is designed to "play it like an instrument intuitively". The trouble is DSI just flat out say that "they don't make software". How can you get hardware/software integration (which is the key to any digitally controlled hardware instrument) when you don't make the software?

Anyway, there is new software coming out for the Tetra and the rest of the DSI range which promises to make the experience easier and more intuitive. As for the voyager and other software based analogue hardware, my guess is that there's some good and not so good stuff out there.

If the software implementation for the Tetra were better, you would be able to "play it like an instrument intuitively". In fact more intuitively than a VCO style synth. With the Tetra, you can assign any param to the mod wheel, channel pressure, or velocity so for example, you can assign LFO to channel pressure. That means that when you jam a key down harder, the LFO kicks in making for a more expressive performance. I don't know of any VSO based synths that do that.

Edit: I stand corrected here. The mini brute can do this.
a poly synth module with zero performance capabilities
That's just straight up ignorance. There's nothing I can say to counter a statement like that. I guess it just counters itself.

The point I'm trying to make is that the Minibrute is an entry level synth and that people who are buying their first synth should look at a few different options and styles of analogue synths before they go out and spend the money on a mini brute. BTW: When I say entry level, I don't mean in terms of what it is - I mean entry level in terms of price.

DCO style synths are a great compliment to VCO style synths. Totally agree on that point. But, if you come from a digital background and want some of the features that software synths have (i.e. responding to channel pressure, velocity, being able to assign params to the mod wheel etc.), then look past the mini brute. If however, vintage sound appeals to you, and you are willing to forego some of the advantages that a DCO style synth can provide, the mini brute looks like a good option without the hassle of bidding on eBay and dealing with unknown sellers send you stuff through the mail with no warranty.

Scrap this, the mini brute can do a lot of this stuff.

Lastly, I'd just like to say that I'd probably buy a minibrute if it weren't for that retarded intro clip that they made. It is an awesome synth for the price. But, on principle I can't buy a product when it is advertised in that manner.
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... media.html

Syncretia wrote:...
Lastly, I'd just like to say that I'd probably buy a minibrute if it weren't for that retarded intro clip that they made. It is an awesome synth for the price. But, on principle I can't buy a product when it is advertised in that manner.
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... media.html
You mean the one that's like a music video? What's wrong with it?

Syncretia wrote:
a poly synth module with zero performance capabilities
That's just straight up ignorance. There's nothing I can say to counter a statement like that. I guess it just counters itself.
For me, a synth is a performance instrument begging to be edited live, with each parameter being available for immediate and intuitive access and control. Tetra fails in this task, whereas a synth like the Minibrute, or any other one with full parameter access is perfect for this (DSI's own Prophet 08 would be a much better option then the Tatra here).

Moreover, the actual use of sliders for certain parameters, like envelopes, makes the Minibrute extremely fast as sliders can be grabbed en masse, so I can pull down attack and decay at the same time with one hand while i play with the other - this is impossible with pots. Or I could quickly adjust all four stages at once! ( I do it with some of my hardware analog synths and it works a treat!). I'm actually very happy to see sliders in an analog synth again! It may be a small detail to some, but not to me. It's a great design.

So all in all, a module with 8 knobs (half of which need to be programmed) does not constitute a better option for real-time performance then a synth with a keyboard, mod wheels, and full parameter access, ready to be tweaked as inspiration strikes.
The point I'm trying to make is that the Minibrute is an entry level synth and that people who are buying their first synth should look at a few different options and styles of analogue synths before they go out and spend the money on a mini brute. BTW: When I say entry level, I don't mean in terms of what it is - I mean entry level in terms of price.
I agree with you that people should look around as nowdays the choice of new analog synths is rather nice. However, "entry level" synths, as you call it, are perfect for beginners, I would've thought. Hence Minibrute is a good choice. Not having to rely on memories will also teach newcomers synthesis from the ground up. This is a plus, as far as I can see.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

edit

I suddenly realized how analog the Minibrute really is, when I read this:
Arturia website wrote:When saving a preset, simply use one of the transparent preset sheets provided with MiniBrute and, literally, put your marks on it. MiniBrute also comes with a set of 10 preset sheets to give you inspiration for making your own basses, leads, arpeggios and FX. Look for an iPAD app in the future that will allow you to organize, share and create your own preset sheets.

This is most def a 70's phenomena :D

Instead of sysex files, users will share presets by uploading PDF files that one can print and cut out and put on the synth :love:

Uncle E wrote:
These do not stand oposed against each other in my view, but rather complement each other extremely well. I can't see anyone desiring a performance analogue VCO-based monosynth choosing a poly synth module with zero performance capabilities, just like I can't see anyone choosing a mono synth when looking for a poly synth! :ud:
Spot-on.
Well, except for the fact that the Tetra does not have "zero performance capabilities." Not counting the fact that it responds to all the usual MIDI CCs it's got 5 knobs for your basic adjustments and another 4 assignable knobs.

I don't own a Tetra but the fact that it's basically a 4 voice MoPho means it can be a pretty damn good monosynth for not a lot of money. I'm not saying it's similar to the Minibrute (which I have on pre-order) but it's got it's own charm.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Numanoid wrote:I suddenly realized how analog the Minibrute really is, when I read this:
Arturia website wrote:When saving a preset, simply use one of the transparent preset sheets provided with MiniBrute and, literally, put your marks on it. MiniBrute also comes with a set of 10 preset sheets to give you inspiration for making your own basses, leads, arpeggios and FX. Look for an iPAD app in the future that will allow you to organize, share and create your own preset sheets.

This is most def a 70's phenomena :D

Instead of sysex files, users will share presets by uploading PDF files that one can print and cut out and put on the synth :love:
Be careful when you scan the preset sheet... you may get digital aliasing!!!!

'transparent preset sheets' - you do not get that with the mfb microzwerg. At least with the doepfer dark energy you get to photocopy a patch chart to make a store of your settings.

I have found that programming a midi controller with NRPNs is not ideal and yet it gets the job done. I have even managed to set my controller to control the sequencer parameters on my desktop mopho. No computer required thank goodness. I do not have problems with using the midi controller, I just need to practice my mental gymnastics more often!! Granted just looking at that yellow box does not give any indication as to how it will sound.

Have fun

Mark

Uncle E wrote:
Spot-on.
+1. This synth appears destined to be a future classic. Comparing it to a Tetra is completely missing the point. Apples and oranges. Same with comparing it to a VA polysynth. This is an instrument much like the SH101, Minimoog, SEM, Odyssey, or any of the other classic analog monosynths. Describing this as "entry level" again misinterprets the fundamental nature of the analog monosynth product category.

I'm about as far from "entry level" as you can get, and I have a lot of synths in my collection: vintage analog, digital, VA, software, and a large modular. Given the sonic potential, feature set, and price of this synth, it was a no-brainer for me to pre-order.

I will concede that this would be a great first synth for someone just starting out. All the controls are right there at your fingertips. Its a very tactile, immediate experience, and one could learn a lot about synthesis very quickly. Of course, there are a lot of other VA instruments which would work just as well for this purpose, and I don't think the Minibrute was designed with this market in mind. More likely, it was designed for us old guys who love analog and can appreciate the merits of a synth like this on its own terms.

My only complaints are about the insulting terminology used for some features: "metalizer"? "brutalizer"? How about calling them "wavefolder" and "output feedback"? And that intro video was pretty insulting: "Buy this synth and you'll become a star who rocks the massive crowd with your wobble bass, except you'll be so engrossed in playing with your new toy that you'll forget about the gig, and you'll have to run there because you obviously can't afford a car or even a taxi."
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:My only complaints are about the insulting terminology used for some features: "metalizer"? "brutalizer"?
hehe, yes. It's worse than insulting, it's confusing.

himalaya wrote: For me, a synth is a performance instrument begging to be edited live, with each parameter being available for immediate and intuitive access and control.
That's a totally valid technique, but not everyone plays that way. I never touch parameter knobs when I'm playing. Give me a keyboard with aftertouch, pitch and mod controls and an XY pad and that's enough to keep me very happy. If I want to get crazy I'll use my Hot Hand MIDI to look extra dorky. 8)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:I never touch parameter knobs when I'm playing.
Therefore you should be barred from playing synths! :hihi: :P

Uncle E wrote:The Minibrute can make sounds that no other analog synth in existence can make. Period.
How many times did we hear this exact phrase back in the 70s(?) :lol: Seriously, I want one, but I want to hear about the build quality of the production run first. Reliability and under $500 don't usually go together.
Fig Newton: The force required to accelerate a fig 39.37 inches per sec.

JackD wrote:
Uncle E wrote:The Minibrute can make sounds that no other analog synth in existence can make. Period.
How many times did we hear this exact phrase back in the 70s(?) :lol: Seriously, I want one, but I want to hear about the build quality of the production run first. Reliability and under $500 don't usually go together.
I preordered one, so I'm hoping the build quality and QA are up to snuff. I'm slightly amused by the above claim, however.... Which specific features allow it to create these previously unheard sounds? I'm pretty sure I could patch a feature for feature replica of this on my modular. It wouldn't be as fun to play, of course.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I hope that someone who has a minibrute would finish a song that's based on minibrute and put it online so I can keep on drooling.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”