Akai Miniak - Hardware getting cheaper than Software!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmot wrote:i've been getting into hardware more too recently. the details you posted on the miniak really made me sit up and think about whether I could use that sort of hardware. a bargain price, agreed. but there are some interesting products starting to come out now, i will wait for a while and see what 2012 has to bring us.

I bought the montribe last year, and bought the altitude909 midi kit you linked to a few weeks ago. I can confirm the kit is excellently made and does exactly what you'd expect. Both midi in and out work fine. I think the main benefit is to replace the limited sequencer on the monotribe. Plus it can only save 1 pattern at a time so this gives a way to save as many patterns as you want in your sequencer of choice. There's also some CC control included with the midi implementation so it really expands its capabilities if you want to programme patterns. If you have a monotribe it's pretty much a must have, expands it into a proper instrument for me.

otoh, if you don't have a monotribe, be aware that the sound is quite basic, it's a lot thinner and weedier than other analogues i've heard. which surprised me actually. the amp power output is very low which might account for some of this perception. the lfo can help coax some more unusual sounds out of it but mostly it's useful for classic (acid) bassline-type sounds. if you want a good variety of sounds then look elsewhere
Thanks for the heads-up re: Monotribe. Although the hands on seq may be some fun and the midi-in-out gives it more features, what you said about sounds is a deal breaker for me. I have two other hardware boxes on my shortlist. One the Akai MPD32. It integrates well with FxSpanion's Geist which I have and 30 preset slots that I can use to further control the Miniak via the two software editors and also I would use it for VSTi's or Daws as it has transport controls, knobs/sliders and buttons and templates for some Daws. The problem there is availability. I may not find one for the price I want next week. The other piece of kit is the Mopho. I do presently own the Novation Xio and it besides it being a VA has 11x2 knobs,same for the buttons and an X/Y pad. There is an editor to create controller templates so I could use that right away on the Mopho and Miniak. Also have a Yamaha KX49(49 keys) and it has 4x2 knobs and transport controls. If I get the Akai MPD32 first I may just wait for the
MiniBrute and put the Mopho on the back burner.
I will say I suggest you consider the Miniak seriously. Besides the bargain
blow-out price, it is a capable little synth that one can coax out mnay cools sounds. Also the Seq is a breeze and fun to use to come up with your own Phrase/seq's

otoh, if you don't have a monotribe, be aware that the sound is quite basic, it's a lot thinner and weedier than other analogues i've heard. which surprised me actually. the amp power output is very low which might account for some of this perception. the lfo can help coax some more unusual sounds out of it but mostly it's useful for classic (acid) bassline-type sounds. if you want a good variety of sounds then look elsewhere
Yup, I put mine throug a tube preamp to boost it in to my desk! VA's (like the Miniak) sound warmer through a little valve pre also, with a bit of drift on the Osc it gets pretty convincing...

SLiC wrote:
Kriminal wrote:but you cant run 30 instances at once for £229 :wink:
No, but I can run 8 voices multitimbrle of VA with no cracles, pops or spikes guaranteed! I can only do 1 Diva on my i7 with any polyphony at one time currently (hopefully that will improve if it goes multicore!)

Just played with a couple of the software editors last night (midi editors like the old days!), makes it a useable beast with all perameters a ail able on screen and midi mappable (and feels more like a vsti ;-))

A few pic's of the MiniaK software so you can make your hardware look more like a VSTi :-)

Miniak to groove/drum machine

http://www.bizune.com/miniakgroove.htm

I'm really impressed with the sequencer/step sequencer; instant gratification and again, when used with the software editors available that include sequencers makes a nice analogue sounding drum machine.

Effects are pretty nice, there is stereo audio in for sound processing through he synth and effects (and of course the gooseneck vocoder, that's not my thing, but my 7 year old loves it :D
So I take it you have had success with these editors? First I tried the MiniZune editor(not the drum one). I used the VST version both in Reaper(64 bit) and Cubase 5 Essentials(32 bit). As far as midi learn I set up my controllers as suggested(108-127) and had about a 75% success rate with them actually "learning". The ones that worked stepping was horrible. I've used the same controller(Xio) with softsynths and a midi hardware unit and they were a lot smoother. Couldn't get the amp envelopes to respond correctly then tried the mouse and the same thing. Obvious stuff like attack and release which usually shows quite a change, they just didn't work/respond. Then the standalone, same thing. Now over to HyperSynth. This one no midi learn yet and a lot of the parameters responded Ok with the mouse but here again, the Amp Env, not reacting correctly. Obviously I had everything set up right midi/routing wise as they both worked with some of the parameters, but for me both editors are useless. FYI I run Win7 64 bit machine intel i3 550 (3.2ghz) 8 gigs of ram. What is your computer/Daw config? I would really would like to get one of these to work. Steven Hookings at the Yahoo groups has some beta stuff going for free, but that isn't a go either. I'll email him for more instructions. Please let me know how things editor wise are going for you

SLiC wrote:
Yup, I put mine throug a tube preamp to boost it in to my desk! VA's (like the Miniak) sound warmer through a little valve pre also, with a bit of drift on the Osc it gets pretty convincing...
Hey that's interesting. I have a Damage Control "Liquid Blues" tube OD pedal.
No starved plate, the real deal. It is a guitar pedal though with true bypass.
It has a clarity knob that you can set the amount of blend of the dry signal with it. Also a great Opto compressor. The OD/Drive is light, no high gain there.
In some cases I think it makes some of the Miniak's patches better/warmer, more analog vibe. I differ with you regarding the FX. FX1 are Ok, and the delay in FX2 the same, but I hate the Reverb. I usually turn off the FX and use either outboard or VST FX that are far superior. In some cases I leave on the FX1's like chorus phaser, etc as they just seem to work for particular presets.

I bought the Miniak/Hypersynth VST editor combo last year, well happy with it all, I set it to monotimberal though, So I can only use one instance at a time, it confuses me the multimberality with the VST editor so only one instance at a time, along with my Plugiator and Alchemy(my fave VST synth :love: ) I'm well happy, I even bought an Ultranova but much prefer the Miniak's sound, the UN hasn't grown on me yet, sounds quite digital - but I run my Plugiators output through it to boost the low signal and it also is my main controller now, so it has it's uses even though I'm not using it's engine much...

Really like the look of that Minibrute though! :)

breakmixer wrote:I bought the Miniak/Hypersynth VST editor combo last year, well happy with it all, I set it to monotimberal though, So I can only use one instance at a time, it confuses me the multimberality with the VST editor so only one instance at a time, along with my Plugiator and Alchemy(my fave VST synth :love: ) I'm well happy, I even bought an Ultranova but much prefer the Miniak's sound, the UN hasn't grown on me yet, sounds quite digital - but I run my Plugiators output through it to boost the low signal and it also is my main controller now, so it has it's uses even though I'm not using it's engine much...

I just went back and looked at the Demo restrictions of HyperSynth and I didn't notice that part of those limitations are the envelopes, in fact I guess the other sections that were disabled as well. I didn't pay enough attention to the "fine print". I wish he had a VST demo version, that would really help. What Computer/Daw config are you using the editor on. I hope when he includes midi learn, that it works better then MiniZune

whitecloud wrote:
breakmixer wrote:I bought the Miniak/Hypersynth VST editor combo last year, well happy with it all, I set it to monotimberal though, So I can only use one instance at a time, it confuses me the multimberality with the VST editor so only one instance at a time, along with my Plugiator and Alchemy(my fave VST synth :love: ) I'm well happy, I even bought an Ultranova but much prefer the Miniak's sound, the UN hasn't grown on me yet, sounds quite digital - but I run my Plugiators output through it to boost the low signal and it also is my main controller now, so it has it's uses even though I'm not using it's engine much...

I just went back and looked at the Demo restrictions of HyperSynth and I didn't notice that part of those limitations are the envelopes, in fact I guess the other sections that were disabled as well. I didn't pay enough attention to the "fine print". I wish he had a VST demo version, that would really help. What Computer/Daw config are you using the editor on. I hope when he includes midi learn, that it works better then MiniZune
I'm using Cubase 5.1. (because 5.5 isn't compatible with Plugiator's VST's - had to say that so I'm not accused of using a crack - which I'm not).

The Hypersynth editor VST is really good - HS support helped me with issues too, blunt emails from him but he got me working/running. There is one Miniak feature that the VST doesn't have, it may be sequence related. I don't use arp sequences though...

One thing I don't like about the Hypersynth Miniak editor is you have to change preset on the Miniak - then hit 'request patch' on the VST to get the parameters used shown, you cannot scroll through presets with the VST...

whitecloud wrote:
SLiC wrote:
It has a clarity knob that you can set the amount of blend of the dry signal with it. Also a great Opto compressor. The OD/Drive is light, no high gain there.
In some cases I think it makes some of the Miniak's patches better/warmer, more analog vibe. I differ with you regarding the FX. FX1 are Ok, and the delay in FX2 the same, but I hate the Reverb. I usually turn off the FX and use either outboard or VST FX that are far superior. In some cases I leave on the FX1's like chorus phaser, etc as they just seem to work for particular presets.
Do you use the analogue drift much? I think it makes a lot of differnce on some patches, particually when they play arp/patterns.

Anyone new to Miniak just press program button then the voice key, scroll with the data knob, 7th item- 'Analog Drift')

I'm still learning the Miniak, I have to say I am getting more an more impressed. Its a great sounding drum machine and the pattern editors is pretty easy I think! I love the arp capture (mini sequenxcer) and I have found copying arps and drum tracks to a multi so easy for mnaking instant little backing tracks to noodle to!

The editors looks pretty, but (maybe I am alone in this) I find it quite easy to get arond and tweek! JUst find a sound like what you are looking for, hold programn and press the key corosponding to what you want to tweek (i.e. OSC, Filter LFO etc.). I just read the FAQ part at the back of the manual and haven't had to look again since.

I say again, for acouple of hundred pounds/bucks, this is an amazing peice of kit; Great analogue sounding drum machine with phrase sequencer ,nice sounds 8 parts, 3 nice wheels and 3 mapped endless knobs make tweeking easy and a free vocoder with mike to boot! If you are on the fence, don't be; get unlike software, these will eventually be gone :wink:

whitecloud wrote:what you said about sounds is a deal breaker for me.
one other suggestion: the Korg Monotron Duo looks interesting, you'd definitely get better variety of sounds. 2 osc's which can be detuned for fat sounds. Plus it can be had for only £35! I'm not sure if there's a midi mod available but at that price it is in toyland territory. The Monotron Delay also looks great, sort of like a cheap version of the Roland Space Echo pedal (which is a cheap version of the original analogue tape delay which now costs $$$ ). A friend of mine has ordered the Monotron Delay so i'll get to try it out soon.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/dance_dj ... on_duo.php

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/dance_dj ... _delay.php

Wow the UN is supposed to be a better engine than the A,K X-Station and Xio.
I still have my Xio25 and found it fairly easy to edit from the front panel and of course the software editor as well. Compared to the Miniak sound wise I kind of prefer the Miniak although programming the Xio from an init. program I have come up with some very usable sounds. The filter is a little juicy in a good way. I also use the Xio as a midi controller. But look at the price difference between the UN and the Miniak. People should take a serious look at the Miniak
even though the engine is getting long in the tooth. Many way back when the Ion came out thought it to be one of the top VA's. Still holding it's own today.

breakmixer wrote:
whitecloud wrote:

I'm using Cubase 5.1. (because 5.5 isn't compatible with Plugiator's VST's - had to say that so I'm not accused of using a crack - which I'm not).

The Hypersynth editor VST is really good - HS support helped me with issues too, blunt emails from him but he got me working/running. There is one Miniak feature that the VST doesn't have, it may be sequence related. I don't use arp sequences though...
I'm still using Cubase Essentials 5 Ver. 5.1.1 is the farthest they went with Essentials. When I bought my new Win7 64 bit machine, I started to see how it would go going with 64 bit hosts. I just ran out of time on the Cubase 6 64
bit demo a few days ago and am seeing how Reaper 64 bit goes. The reason I asked is there are as everyone know knows bridging issues with 32 bit plugs. I keep going back and forth between Cubase 32 bit and 64 bit DAW demos and will decide soon what to do. If I go with 64 bit hosts HyperSynth is a 32 bit plug, but the dude at HyperSynth says there hasn't been much issues with the VST in a 64 bit host. To bad he hasn't offered a VST demo version

breakmixer wrote:One thing I don't like about the Hypersynth Miniak editor is you have to change preset on the Miniak - then hit 'request patch' on the VST to get the parameters used shown, you cannot scroll through presets with the VST...
I am not good at the technical stuff Steven Hookings one of the Yahoo Miniak Gurus is doing a lot of free stuff, so far it hasn't worked on my machine. He is trying to create a TOC for Programs, Mulits, etc. that will allow you to scroll
through the presets. I hope he or someone gets this stuff worked out. It would be nice to be able to access those presets in a VST as you desire

SLiC wrote:
whitecloud wrote:
SLiC wrote:
Do you use the analogue drift much? I think it makes a lot of differnce on some patches, particually when they play arp/patterns.

Anyone new to Miniak just press program button then the voice key, scroll with the data knob, 7th item- 'Analog Drift')

I'm still learning the Miniak, I have to say I am getting more an more impressed. Its a great sounding drum machine and the pattern editors is pretty easy I think! I love the arp capture (mini sequenxcer) and I have found copying arps and drum tracks to a multi so easy for mnaking instant little backing tracks to noodle to!

The editors looks pretty, but (maybe I am alone in this) I find it quite easy to get arond and tweek! JUst find a sound like what you are looking for, hold programn and press the key corosponding to what you want to tweek (i.e. OSC, Filter LFO etc.). I just read the FAQ part at the back of the manual and haven't had to look again since.

I say again, for acouple of hundred pounds/bucks, this is an amazing peice of kit; Great analogue sounding drum machine with phrase sequencer ,nice sounds 8 parts, 3 nice wheels and 3 mapped endless knobs make tweeking easy and a free vocoder with mike to boot! If you are on the fence, don't be; get unlike software, these will eventually be gone :wink:
Yes I do involve the Analog drift and yes we can get this synth to sound pretty
convincing Analog sounds, the thing is I used to own the Alesis Andromedia
so as far as real analog there still is a difference. More say being in the actual room opposed to being buried in a busy recorded mix. I feel it is a matter of taste and for me I will play with what I think are the Miniak's strengths and that fact we have some Polyphony to work with. I have pretty much decided if I can swing it is to buy the Mopho module next week is all goes as planned. I just can not live with out those fat crushing bass sounds it puts out. Back to the Minak
The Phrase Seq is dead easy and fun to use straight from the panel and keys.
The shortcuts they offer help navigating to the parameters. I have something else to add but will do so with my next reply

bmot wrote:
whitecloud wrote:what you said about sounds is a deal breaker for me.
one other suggestion: the Korg Monotron Duo looks interesting, you'd definitely get better variety of sounds. 2 osc's which can be detuned for fat sounds. Plus it can be had for only £35! I'm not sure if there's a midi mod available but at that price it is in toyland territory. The Monotron Delay also looks great, sort of like a cheap version of the Roland Space Echo pedal (which is a cheap version of the original analogue tape delay which now costs $$$ ). A friend of mine has ordered the Monotron Delay so i'll get to try it out soon.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/dance_dj ... on_duo.php

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/dance_dj ... _delay.php
The Monotron Delay looks interesting and sounds great for the price. I would like to see it demoed more using an external signal, like say, A Miniak :wink:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”