Akai Miniak - Hardware getting cheaper than Software!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One thing I want to share to those that may not know is the Miniaks x,y,z knobs are 14 bit which is a good thing opposed to the most 7bit cc midi controller
knobs. From what I understand there is less stepping using the Miniaks's encoders. Also from what info I've gathered from the Yahoo group is that many more precise control from NRPN's opposed to cc's. Also in the Miniaks case
NRPN's can access more of it's parameters. I don't quite get it all yet.
My Xio has 11x2 knobs and 11x2 buttons all that are assignable for cc's NRPN's
NRN and program change. As far as cc's and NRPN's go i have 0-127 values to work with and -64-63. The thing is most of the Miniak's NRPN's fall way below or above those values. So it looks like I am stuck with using cc's at least for now until
I get more info. I think I am going to buy an editor and use it more for programming the Modulation and tracking Generator. Also see which parameters
I think are just as important to tweak live other than the Filters. I've noticed how much changing the shape of an oscillator can make a huge difference. Some presets have on of the encoders going through all the Filter Types, I don't know if I would use that assignment as an example. But to each is own. Playing with
the Xio's editor and using the front panel has me pretty much up to speed on how I want to approach programming it. Even using the limited Demo HyperSynth editor
has me thinking how I might assign the Miniak's Mod1 &2 wheel, x,y,z knobs along with my other midi controllers. Happy tweaking

Kriminal wrote:but you cant run 30 instances at once for £229 :wink:
Yes!

And it's impossible to record and layer it 50 times in the same project!

LOL

Listen Dave!

You can record a bass line....then chords....then sequencer riffs....etc.....all as one MIDI / audio track and cut / paste the audio wherever you want...

It's not like you actually play 30 instances of a soft synth at once - you program one part at a time....

desafinado wrote:
Yes!

LOL

Listen Dave!

You can record a bass line....then chords....then sequencer riffs....etc.....all as one MIDI / audio track and cut / paste the audio wherever you want...

It's not like you actually play 30 instances of a soft synth at once - you program one part at a time....
I bought the Miniak in November 2011 for $233.00 delivered. In December I bought
FxSpansion Geist for $150.00 on the holiday special normally $250.00. Also picked up FxSpansion's DCAM Synth Squad for $100.00 normally $250.00 as well.
I just need on instance of Geist, but Synth Squad whatever my fairly new computer can handle or freeze tracks. All three were great bargains and tools.
I don't think I would of spent $500.00 on the FX stuff or not. So one decides
what helps in the creative spirit while keeping an eye on the pocketbook. So I think the OP's intention was to point out that he picked up on a great bargain
buying the Miniak which in many cases is less cash than some VSTi's and was not really trying to get into the hardware vs Software debate.

whitecloud wrote:
desafinado wrote:
Yes!

LOL

Listen Dave!

I bought the Miniak in November 2011 for $233.00 delivered. In December I bought
FxSpansion Geist for $150.00 on the holiday special normally $250.00. Also picked up FxSpansion's DCAM Synth Squad for $100.00 normally $250.00 as well.
I just need on instance of Geist, but Synth Squad whatever my fairly new computer can handle or freeze tracks. All three were great bargains and tools.
I don't think I would of spent $500.00 on the FX stuff or not. So one decides
what helps in the creative spirit while keeping an eye on the pocketbook. So I think the OP's intention was to point out that he picked up on a great bargain
buying the Miniak which in many cases is less cash than some VSTi's and was not really trying to get into the hardware vs Software debate.

Absolutely. I bought a stack of software last year- Imposcar 2 upgrade, Zeta upgrade, Artura V synth collection with analogue lab for 150E upgrade from 1 instrument (I posted a thread on what great value this 'software collection was!) and of course Diva :-) The 'convenience' of VSTi, the instant (download) gratification and the 'cheap' upgrades (like Zeta 2- I'm sure its great but I have hardly used it since upgrading from 1) have ensured that I have spent more money on 'virtual effects and instruments' than I will ever need or master (I am sure I am not alone here); for some reason with hardware I am a lot more discerning, researching prices, alternatives etc...but if cots get to the £200 mark, I get a lot more impulsive... I am aware of the pro's and con's of hardware and software, but one of the pig 'con's' of hardware was always cost.

Example:

Real Analog Monophonic £250
http://www.soundbasemegastore.com/Dave- ... er-p19051/
Modelled Analog £200 - http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html

At what price point to you 'switch back to hardware' (if ever?)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”