Other than keyboards, guitar or bass. So whadya play?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tons of keyboard players and guitarists/bassists here for sure, but just wondered what else anyone plays?

Any really weird instruments?

Melodica (badly) :hihi:

My only formal music training is drums. I took drum lessons for about 2 years in my early teens. Also took accordion lessons when I was very little, but that was just because my grandfather made my mother force me to take lessons.. I hated it :)
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

Classical voice/opera (baritone) and piano, although grad school was composition.

I used to play bass, banjo, mandolin and harmonica.

Ztar spoils me for or from all. though I occassionally think about picking up a uke.

I had this spell where I was obessed with stick player, and organ video's Then I happened across an accordian video and I was in awe of the possiblity of playing bass and chord with one hand while the other plays melody. Previously I'd already done a lot of experimentation with one hand playing one instrument/part and the other hand playing a second part. Which has been both fun and challenging.
I think I'm bitting off more then I can chew with trying to apply accordian methodology to the ztar. It can work and I've had some limited success but I think I'm just not looking for the right material. As well I always draw more attention to a part rather then the whole by practing them separately beforehand.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I play my wife's ass like a bongo drum. Does that count? :hihi:

My primary axe is my synthesizer. If anyone says "that counts as a keyboard" I'll be deeply offended.

I've also been known to play anything that I can get a sound out of. I don't think I could claim to play anything "well" but I try.

I used to play the trombone. Been a long time though...

I've been playing the drums since 1993 and I'm within an inch of getting my first electronic kit to finally take my drumming to the sequencer world.

I also took recorder lessons when I was a child but that's more a German educational staple I think.

:D

justin3am wrote:I play my wife's ass like a bongo drum. Does that count? :hihi:
Well, that's the end goal for many musicians anyway, so why not?

Bonteburg wrote:
I also took recorder lessons when I was a child but that's more a German educational staple I think.

:D
+1

It used to be a standard thing in the UK, but it doesn't seem to be very popular these days. I think I have a descant and tenor somewhere in the house. Might dig them out if I ever get around to buying a decent microphone.

i play chopsticks , using actual chopsticks ...

Lap steel (just learning), mandolin, harmonica (got a new E natural minor I have yet to explore), ukulele (which I've been playing all afternoon- figuring out AC/DC's "Back In Black" and Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way"- two totally different totally crap totally great songs).

I play bass and keys but guitar is, was, my main instrument. I spend most of my time playing, but I'm not very good at any instrument.

Maybe I should take up chopsticks, too. Start a band with normal. It would be cool to have a normal bandmate for a change.

robojam wrote:Tons of keyboard players and guitarists/bassists here for sure, but just wondered what else anyone plays?

Any really weird instruments?
looking at building a Kantele this spring, I just need it warm enough so I can do the finishing on my balcony..also a Psaltery...both I found kits for but there is no need for a kit for either...however there is a kit for a Bowed Psaltery I'm looking at because it would be cool to build a bow too :tu:

Hi Cordelia :D I am also looking at a kit for a baritone uke...maybe next year :)

edit: btw, my grandson plays my dulcimer all the time...sort of :hihi:
edit 2: btw Cordelia, chopsticks are used for tube amp repair silly :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

seismic1 wrote:
Bonteburg wrote: I play my wife's ass like a bongo drum. Does that count? HiHi
It used to be a standard thing in the UK, but it doesn't seem to be very popular these days. .
:harp:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”