Good audio interfaces from the PREAMP perspective?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

you can improve overall audio performance by configuring windows so your resourses are better used. there are several guides on that on the net, i think at sweetwater site i saw a good one.
yep, here it is http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/ ... ndex=31969

What is the difference if i get a Beringer Xenyx Mixer? Will it get me the same results as with a sound card?

Nicksaf wrote:What is the difference if i get a Beringer Xenyx Mixer? Will it get me the same results as with a sound card?
You're still going to need a sound card. If you can get one with its own decent preamps, good. Elsewise, I'd get a decent soundcard and separate preamp.

Of course it all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how many inputs you need. This information will also help people here give you advice that will be relevant to you.

I need only one input actually, and the cheaper the better. Not above 190-200$.

You're still going to need a sound card. If you can get one with its own decent preamps, good. Elsewise, I'd get a decent soundcard and separate preamp.
That's not entirely true. Some of the Xenyx mixers are equipped with USB eliminating the need for a soundcard. There are actually quite few mixer/soundcard options available in both firewire and USB. Tascam, Alesis,
Phonic, Mackie and Peavey all have offerings in this category.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

flugel45 wrote:If you're asking if one is significantly better-sounding than the others, the answer is no.
The Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 has 2 liquid preamps, each with 11 selectable models from the $4,000 Liquid Channel. These preamps are significantly better than what's found in most interfaces.

Nicksaf wrote:Could be cool to get opinions on those:
M-Audio FastTrack II
Steinberg CI1/CI2
Roland Duo Capture
TONEWEAL UT-24
Tascam US 200
Mackie Onyx Blackjack
The Onyx preamps are very good, better than the M-Audio, Steinberg, TONEWEAL, and Tascam preamps.

I have a MOTU 8pre and the preamps are great on it. They have a 4pre and a smaller one too (can't recall the name and don't know if the preamps are the same). I was amazed by what a difference it made compared to cheaper mixers/soundcards I had owned previously.

Nicksaf wrote:What is the difference if i get a Beringer Xenyx Mixer? Will it get me the same results as with a sound card?
In this scenario, the audio will be going through a lot more electronics than it would with a basic interface preamp. IMO, a lot more electronics is rarely a good thing, even in $20K+ consoles, and is definitely something to avoid in a low cost Behringer unit.

Well question is maybe for my purposes i'll better be off with a mixer, if it could get me the same results more or less, i think it's worth it.
It's basically the same thing isn't it? The only additional input is the power suplly (behringer xenyx 302)...

P.S. just found out the XENYX is very noisy, not good.

Nicksaf wrote:Well question is maybe for my purposes i'll better be off with a mixer
It's possible. If you already have an interface then mating a Mackie 402-VLZ3 or 802-VLZ3 isn't the worst solution and quite a bit better than the Behringer. Anyway, I think that Mackie Onyx Blackjack ought to work out well.

Eric, how are those new Akai cards?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Do you mean the EIE and Pro EIE? I haven't tried them yet.

Uncle E wrote:
Nicksaf wrote:Well question is maybe for my purposes i'll better be off with a mixer
It's possible. If you already have an interface then mating a Mackie 402-VLZ3 or 802-VLZ3 isn't the worst solution and quite a bit better than the Behringer. Anyway, I think that Mackie Onyx Blackjack ought to work out well.
I currently have an on board soundcard, that's my consideration, either get a mixer or an interface for recording. I discovered that there's no EQ like i have on the built in card(software), for my music listening and internet purposes. So im planning to switch between interfaces.

The Mackie Onyx Blackjack seemed like a good option, until i read it has terrible driver problems, do you think it's still the case?

For me nothing beats the RME FF 800, great Preamps, very stable, pristine sound...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”