best amp for street performance?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

looking into the roland micro cube. there are two sizes for small amps. i think the smaller one is 15w. i dont want something too loud, but running on batteries is a must.
also considering crate because i think they have something rechargeable.

also is there something i might be missing that isn't the shape of a traditional amp? like a jawbone?

if you can find one used, Lectrosonic The Mouse was quite common for years :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

thanks... would love to hear one eventually.
a little too boutique for my needs though :)

they were pretty cheap and the batteries (rechargeable if they are still available) were easy to replace. I worked in a store that many of my customers were Boston street performers, personally I would go with a Crate or one of the Rolands (Peavey use to make one too) I was just throwing this out there because so many people swore by them. :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:they were pretty cheap and the batteries (rechargeable if they are still available) were easy to replace. I worked in a store that many of my customers were Boston street performers, personally I would go with a Crate or one of the Rolands (Peavey use to make one too) I was just throwing this out there because so many people swore by them. :)
all well good to know. your opinion is valued! i'm also considering making my own vest or jacket that has speakers on it.

I busked on the streets of NYC with a Mouse for several years back in the day. The problem with a Mouse and the very similar Crate Taxi is that the internal rechargeable batteries died fairly quickly and were NOT that easy to replace IMHO. Today they are also hard to source...stay away!! I currently have several
street amps...a Roland Microcube...good for electric lead guitar but underpowered for solo acuostic/vocal performance. I also have a Roland Cube Street...great amp! Surprisingly loud, built in fx AND an XLR input for vocals which is VERY important to me. In addition I have Vox DA20 this amp sounds great, has built in fx and a larger speaker...which makes it good for bass.

Get the picture? This combination of amps allows me to field an entire band on the street!

All these amps use "AA" batteries...I use rechargeables...very easy!
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

CapnLockheed wrote:I busked on the streets of NYC with a Mouse for several years back in the day. The problem with a Mouse and the very similar Crate Taxi is that the internal rechargeable batteries died fairly quickly and were NOT that easy to replace IMHO. Today they are also hard to source...stay away!! I currently have several
street amps...a Roland Microcube...good for electric lead guitar but underpowered for solo acuostic/vocal performance. I also have a Roland Cube Street...great amp! Surprisingly loud, built in fx AND an XLR input for vocals which is VERY important to me. In addition I have Vox DA20 this amp sounds great, has built in fx and a larger speaker...which makes it good for bass.

Get the picture? This combination of amps allows me to field an entire band on the street!

All these amps use "AA" batteries...I use rechargeables...very easy!
thanks! i would like to try the roland, but the store here (long and mcquade) only rents its own brand Traynor which i'll have to start with. i also want a smaller setup that uses the smokey amp and iphone.

I've played out with a pignose 30 watt hog for 20 years now. It's held up like a champ.

Re loudness there is a volume control but playing outside usually means you need more not less volume. Unless your playing a concrete canyon.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

This class-t is like $20 today, it seems to fluctuate daily :)
I don't believe the 30 watts out of AA batteries, but I could always use it for a laptop.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/5 ... 1005230925

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”