microsoft announces new tablet

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

polaris20 wrote:But their UI will positively suck on a tablet. I don't see how Windows 8 changes that, unless third party devs start coding a separate UI into their apps specifically for tablet use.

Also, it's completely silly to say "iPad is dead" or "Apple is finished". Last time I looked, there's no reason why there can't be more than one device, more than one OS.
Windows 8 is going to send everybody into overtime re-working all their guis not only for touch but to fit that one-Window 70/30 paradigm. They will also have to develop the active icon paradigm for every app or the app will not compare favorbly to others with cool active icons. It will all surely happen, and it's exciting. But is the Apple-driven market trend to replace most people's PCs with less flexible and powerful, portable narrow-purpose appliances a good trend? I worry that we may lose the "personal" in personal computer some day (but then I've been saying that for 20 years). I think it's important that Joe Geek can choose whatever hardware components he wants, build his own machine, and choose his own software, so he can continue to innovate, solve new problems, etc. That's what the PC revolution really was (and, I think, still is to a great extent). I don't think the dumbed-down appliance with a locked-down OS has to kill the powerful, flexible and "dangerously unsecure" OS, but it might make it more expensive, difficult to find components and software to fill your needs if your a future geek.

I agree more competition can only be good, and since I'm American, I like to see Apple doing well and MS doing something fresh.

This is a cool, exciting thing 8)
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

The issue is plain and simple: yes, the x86 version will run regular Windows apps. But their UI will positively suck on a tablet.
they suck on tablets because the x86 tablet market sucks, so no one is gonna make their GUI work nice for tablets.. until.. a big name comes up with a serious tablet.
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

george wrote:Because Apple is not famous for that.
Taking Apple's "it just works" branding and their fans' staunch adherence to it as a positive.

Funny jokes.
polaris20 wrote:Also, it's completely silly to say "iPad is dead" or "Apple is finished". Last time I looked, there's no reason why there can't be more than one device, more than one OS.
It's also silly to reduce the argument to that.

I'm not saying MacOS is done for. But iPads, iPhones, MacBooks, and MacPros, and any other dongle Apple can churn out isn't gonna keep working in the long term.

SadPuppyBlues wrote:
george wrote:Because Apple is not famous for that.
Taking Apple's "it just works" branding and their fans' staunch adherence to it as a positive.

Funny jokes.
polaris20 wrote:Also, it's completely silly to say "iPad is dead" or "Apple is finished". Last time I looked, there's no reason why there can't be more than one device, more than one OS.
It's also silly to reduce the argument to that.

I'm not saying MacOS is done for. But iPads, iPhones, MacBooks, and MacPros, and any other dongle Apple can churn out isn't gonna keep working in the long term.
You've got absolutely nothing to back up your claims though; its all pure speculation. Why keep stating it as a forgone conclusion?

I've got the fact that Apple found those markets because the software on Microsoft based hardware got their asses kicked due to Apple focusing harder on it than MS ever could.

Take away Apple's software superiority, and they won't be able to sell overpriced hardware. Their options when that happens, are to sell software or die, really.

It seems we have some prices
The sources also estimated the end-market price of the Windows 8 Pro-based Surface tablet PC with Ivy Bridge processor to be at least above US$799, while the Windows RT-based model, featuring Nvidia's Tegra 3, will be priced above US$599.
(Source)

polaris20 wrote:You've got absolutely nothing to back up your claims though; its all pure speculation. Why keep stating it as a forgone conclusion?
Because there have already been voices in this short thread speaking about finally getting a tablet - not an Android or iOS one, but a Windows tablet, finally!
It's beyond pure speculation that Gooogle and Apple (and Palm etc) have had higher market shares because there was no equivalent Windows system available.
That cake will be sliced and dealed out again soon, and then it will be interesting to see if people will still want an iPad instead of an Win8 tablet.

Greetings
D.
"There's a certain detail seen here."

4damind wrote:It seems we have some prices
The sources also estimated the end-market price of the Windows 8 Pro-based Surface tablet PC with Ivy Bridge processor to be at least above US$799, while the Windows RT-based model, featuring Nvidia's Tegra 3, will be priced above US$599.
(Source)
Finally!

$799 is the same cost of a laptop with better features and running the same OS.

$599 is a joke considering the disclosed specs and compared with the iPad 3 or even the previous model.

Debby747 wrote:
polaris20 wrote:You've got absolutely nothing to back up your claims though; its all pure speculation. Why keep stating it as a forgone conclusion?
Because there have already been voices in this short thread speaking about finally getting a tablet - not an Android or iOS one, but a Windows tablet, finally!
It's beyond pure speculation that Gooogle and Apple (and Palm etc) have had higher market shares because there was no equivalent Windows system available.
That cake will be sliced and dealed out again soon, and then it will be interesting to see if people will still want an iPad instead of an Win8 tablet.

Greetings
D.
You people act as if there's never been a Windows tablet before. They've been around since at least 2002, and they've flopped. Hard. Have you used a Windows 7 tablet? I have. Metro isn't going to save what's already a horrible user experience.

Unless developers radically change their UI's to suit MS's fancy, Windows 8 will be just another Windows tablet.

The reason Apple, Google, etc. have higher market share is because the OSes are designed to go on a touch interface, and not slap a desktop operating system on a touch interface.

Anyone who's ever used a Windows 7 tablet, or even Citrix on an iPad knows that without proper application development in terms of the UI, it's still a miserable experience. Is it usable? Yes. Is it as smooth of an experience as Android or iOS? No, not really.

Google is coming out with a Nexus series of tablets for less than half the price of even the RT tablet. Do you really think people will want an RT tablet with no apps to speak of at launch, for $600, when they can get a Nexus tablet for $200, for checking e-mail, surfing the web, and updating FB?

SadPuppyBlues wrote:I've got the fact that Apple found those markets because the software on Microsoft based hardware got their asses kicked due to Apple focusing harder on it than MS ever could.

Take away Apple's software superiority, and they won't be able to sell overpriced hardware. Their options when that happens, are to sell software or die, really.
Why do I need to take away their software superiority? Have you used Windows 8? I have been using it for months. It's really nice, and the Metro interface is slick. Apps developed for Metro will be great on a tablet. I wouldn't say better than iOS or Android, but different. However apps that won't run on Metro drop to desktop, which positively sucks on a tablet, just like every Windows tablet before it. Metro doesn't change that.

Again, we're relying on the speculation that software vendors will flock to Metro. No one knows that. It'll be nice if they do, but no one knows.

polaris20 wrote: an RT tablet with no apps to speak of at launch
Thank you for the information mr. fortuneteller.

And why would developers not use the Metro interface when coding apps for the RT?

T-CM11 wrote:
polaris20 wrote: an RT tablet with no apps to speak of at launch
Thank you for the information mr. fortuneteller.

And why would developers not use the Metro interface when coding apps for the RT?
Where did you get the idea I said that? Developers HAVE to use the Metro interface for developing for RT. For the x86 version, they do not have to. But if they don't, it'll drop to the desktop interface, which is basically just Windows 7 with a new Windows Explorer.

As for apps, well, it's almost July, and this launches in late Fall, early Winter. How many major apps available on other platforms already do think will be able to be cranked out?

Sure, it's speculation on my part that there won't be much. But at least I admit it.

polaris20 wrote: Where did you get the idea I said that? Developers HAVE to use the Metro interface for developing for RT.
It's looking good for Microsoft then.
And the price? I don't know, that's speculation too. I don't want a Nexus tablet for $200 if it's a crap plastic slow thing.
For me, right now, there still only one choice: the tablet that has plenty of good music apps!! (guess which one )
:hihi:

Well, even when the "the surface" gets a cold shoulder, at least the discussion tone is heating up :oops:

I just think that it's not too fair to compare those former non-existent efforts from Microsoft with the new push into the market.
Windows 7 was never really meant to be a tablet experience - compatible yes, sensational no.

On the other hand I'm not too enthusiastic: the "full" Win8 tablet might just be too powerful for casual use and to heavy, expensive and energy hungry.
Personally, I am looking for a 250 EUR ultra-portable Win device.
And as it seems, it's not in sight just yet.

The RT version is not appealing to me at all - locked OS varieties are abundant...

Greetings
D.
"There's a certain detail seen here."

Debby747 wrote:Well, even when the "the surface" gets a cold shoulder, at least the discussion tone is heating up :oops:

I just think that it's not too fair to compare those former non-existent efforts from Microsoft with the new push into the market.
Windows 7 was never really meant to be a tablet experience - compatible yes, sensational no.

On the other hand I'm not too enthusiastic: the "full" Win8 tablet might just be too powerful for casual use and to heavy, expensive and energy hungry.
Personally, I am looking for a 250 EUR ultra-portable Win device.
And as it seems, it's not in sight just yet.

The RT version is not appealing to me at all - locked OS varieties are abundant...

Greetings
D.
Windows 8 has a lot of potential, and I'm excited to see how it pans out. I'm not a huge fan of Android, but I do like my iPads, and it'll be good to have actual competition. It really all hinges (IMO) on whether or not devs embrace Metro. If so? Success. If not? Not so much.

Sounding MS's victory and Apple iPad's demise at its hands is hilariously premature though, when neither MS tablet will be out for months. It's just typical Internet bullshit.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”