microsoft announces new tablet

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey just heads up Microsoft announcing new tablet just watching a blog about it live if any one is interested looks really good think processor is based on ivy bridge processor from Intel

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology- ... 04834.html

cain wrote:link to new tablet info

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx
Wow!!
That thing looks brilliant. Finally a tablet done right :)
Now we'll have something that could rival the place of a laptop. Seriously. None of that Pad crap with closed up OS, no usb and no freekn keyboard!

The Pro model even has usb3 and i5 processor. Shouldn't that suggest it can even run things like Reaper and vst plugins? Got to go read on Win8..
Seems like a winner in either case :)

Got to get this to compliment my Nokia N9. Touch based OS done right :)
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

mkdr wrote:Got to go read on Win8..
Actually downloading Win8 now from Microsoft. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

well be interesting how the latency for AUDIO applications will be.

I'd like to know what's the pricing and availability.

darsho wrote:well be interesting how the latency for AUDIO applications will be.
Metro doesn't support MIDI input so it's useless for audio apps.

mkdr wrote:Seriously. None of that Pad crap with closed up OS, no usb and no freekn keyboard!
don't want to spoil the fun, but:
Bill Gates wrote:Discover new music, movies, and games in the Windows Store.(1)
and:
Bill Gates wrote:(1)Works exclusively with apps from the Windows Store
so you can forget your Reaper and VST plugins, unless someone ports them for the "closed up" Windows OS.

cheers,
Aldo
Last edited by dadaumpa on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

+100
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

dadaumpa wrote:
so you can forget your Reaper and VST plugins, unless someone ports them for the "closed up" Windows OS.
This is only true for the ARM version (WindowsRT). The Pro version can run everything.

moss wrote:
dadaumpa wrote:
This is only true for the ARM version (WindowsRT). The Pro version can run everything.
+1 I tried Windows 8 on my laptop, it does run normal Windows x86/x64 apps but you need touch to make it worthwhile.

Yes, very interesting stuff. Nice idea with the keyboard, the stand for the table etc. It's a bit the dream of many users, to have a tablet (and a bit like a Ultrabook).
Will be interesting how it can be used for audio stuff (latency etc).

dadaumpa wrote: so you can forget your Reaper and VST plugins, unless someone ports them for the "closed up" Windows OS.
This is only true for the Arm version. Afaik this will be the first version released the same time if Windows 8 is released (September/October). The X86 version with the Ivy Bridge CPU will be released 3 month later with Windows 8 Pro.

george wrote:
darsho wrote:well be interesting how the latency for AUDIO applications will be.
Metro doesn't support MIDI input so it's useless for audio apps.
Metro isn't the OS, it's the interface. These things run Windows 8.

Looks like it's made of cast magnesium - let's hope they don't overheat too much then :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”