microsoft announces new tablet

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

george wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:Correct comparison =
iPad (A5(X)) vs Surface (ARM)

If you're being paid to spread misinformation, please tell us!
Just compare iPad music apps number to Surface ARM music apps and maybe you realize what I'm talking about.
You do know that this thing is NEW right?
Things weren't that great for the iPad when it just appeared. Or should I say iPhone/iPod, because that was the small predecessor (if we're talking about apps).

Pricing and battery life will make this thing a instant fail or something interesting to consider.

george wrote:Pricing and battery life will make this thing a instant fail or something interesting to consider.
Yep, for general use.

But if the latency is like Android, or not a lot music apps (for whatever reason), it's going to fail for musicians :wink:

T-CM11 wrote: You do know that this thing is NEW right?
The screen looks like it's from 2010.

T-CM11 wrote:But if the latency is like Android, or not a lot music apps (for whatever reason), it's going to fail for musicians :wink:
My advice is reading a bit about Windows ARM, Metro and MIDI to get a instant fail smell for music use.
Last edited by discoDSP on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

george wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:Correct comparison =
iPad (A5(X)) vs Surface (ARM)

If you're being paid to spread misinformation, please tell us!
Just compare iPad music apps number to Surface ARM music apps and maybe you realize what I'm talking about.
Just compare the how long they have been available
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Just figure how it will compete with that.

george wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:But if the latency is like Android, or not a lot music apps (for whatever reason), it's going to fail for musicians :wink:
My advice is reading a bit about Windows ARM, Metro and MIDI to get a instant fail smell to use it for music.
Windows is an OS, ARM is a CPU, Metro is a GUI.
-> 2 of those things have nothing to do with Midi.

The only thing I smell is possibilities. Let's wait and see.

T-CM11 wrote:
darsho wrote:
george wrote:
darsho wrote:well be interesting how the latency for AUDIO applications will be.
Metro doesn't support MIDI input so it's useless for audio apps.
sorry to ask, but what is Metro ?
The GUI.

Who designed the GUI.... IKEA?
:-o
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

I'll just wait to see whether proper MIDI stuff will be possible and whether there will be Lemur for it.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

This thread is going to get really amusing as people try and compare black with white and bandy redundent arguements around the place.

I dont think MS seriously think they can take market away from iPad but they do see an opportunity to sell some hardware.

Lots of people wouldnt touch an iPad but would consider a windows tablet eg Me
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Normally the Core i5 version should run a full featured DAW without problems. It has USB3 support, so no problem with external HD, Audio interfaces, Midi etc.
The Pro version can also be used with a pen. Microsoft says in the keynote "it's a PC" and showing stuff with Adobe etc. It's a lot more than a tablet and with the power it should be also useful for audio stuff.
I expect that all DAWs will be used without problems... Afaik there will be different versions up to 128GB SSD/Flash. This is the limitation, because there is not the space for big sample libs, dozens of projects and stuff. But USB3 is very quick, and the external drives are small.

It's a tablet but IMO more a "Ultrabook" tablet... and yes a completely different thing than a iPad.

4damind wrote:Normally the Core i5 version should run a full featured DAW without problems. It has USB3 support, so no problem with external HD, Audio interfaces, Midi etc.
The Pro version can also be used with a pen. Microsoft says in the keynote "it's a PC" and showing stuff with Adobe etc. It's a lot more than a tablet and with the power it should be also useful for audio stuff.
I expect that all DAWs will be used without problems... Afaik there will be different versions up to 128GB SSD/Flash. This is the limitation, because there is not the space for big sample libs, dozens of projects and stuff. But USB3 is very quick, and the external drives are small.

It's a tablet but IMO more a "Ultrabook" tablet... and yes a completely different thing than a iPad.
It must be utter crap! I mean, it's from MS. :hihi:

Jokin'... for me it is finally a tablet I might consider buying.

the gui looks almost exactly like the xbox live gui except the xbox version looks a little better but they are both bad
I love music but more than that, I love making it

The Pro will run anything Windows currently does, i.e. any DAW application you want. The RT will run nothing you currently have, and due to restraints on what can be coded for the Metro interface, it's unlikely it'll ever useful for audio work.

The only real concern with the Pro is the heat/battery life. Other than that, it should be pretty neat.

EDIT

For the problems with real time audio and Metro development, check out this thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4764721

In other words, unless the Caustic dev is wrong, you should shoot for the pro model if you want to use a Win8 tablet for audio stuff.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”