Advices on a master keyboard

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all! I'm searching for a master keyboard, but I really don't know what can be the best for me.

I found some interesting stuff out there, and I'm writing here the best prices I've found so far (FYI I'm in Italy):

- M-Audio Keystation Mini 32: 49€ + 8€ for shipping
- Korg microKEY 37: 89€ + 20€ for shipping
- M-Audio Oxygen 49: 98€ + 20€ for shipping

I'm not a keyboard player; I would mainly use the master keyboard to compose, but it would be nice if I could play quite seriously on it.

The choice is hard for me because I would like to spend the least possible (I have a quite low budget), yet I would not try risking to buy something "toyish", mainly due to the mini keys of the first two keyboards in the list.

What are your opinions about those keyboards? What will you buy if you were me?

Don't
don't
don't
go under 49.
You have ten fingers and having more keys will open your mind to new ideas in a way you can't imagine.
The behringer series are really good.25/49/61.

But if he's not a keyboard player then the 10 fingered option might not be for him. I would be more tempted to say avoid the mini keys rather than worry about how many keys - they're horrible things to play.

Lol :D
I don't remember if i ever played a ten finger chords in 20 years of piano :hihi:
But according to :
Gianfrix wrote:I'm not a keyboard player; I would mainly use the master keyboard to compose, but it would be nice if I could play quite seriously on it.
a 49/61 keys will be future proof.
And yes, avoid the mini keys !

Dont get a M-audio keystation pro 88 its a big pile of crap.

the action is cheap and its uncomfortable

when doing Drum-tracks u don't want a piano like touch
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

i am enjoying my new Micro Key 61 - gives a nice amount of range with less space - do be aware that they are small keys like the Microkorg, Microkontrol..

budweiser wrote:Don't
don't
don't
go under 49.
You have ten fingers and having more keys will open your mind to new ideas in a way you can't imagine.
The behringer series are really good.25/49/61.
+1
You should not have less than 49 keys
I would recommend Oxygen 49 or 61 from M-Audio
http://www.thomann.de/se/maudio_oxygen_49_3rd_gen.htm
http://www.thomann.de/se/maudio_oxygen_61_3rd_gen.htm

realmarco wrote:Dont get a M-audio keystation pro 88 its a big pile of crap.

the action is cheap and its uncomfortable
I agree, I have one. It's nothing like a piano and the action is horrible. Only thing to recommend it for is the price.

I echo the sentiment 'don't go with less than 49'. You'll end up regretting it. If you think you won't be needing it much, still try to invest a little more into it, so you don't have to go and buy a new one if you end up wanting more from it. ..

Just a few days ago I was also browsing shops for a keyboard, and on monday I ordered a Roland A800-Pro (got it cheaper from a local shop than from the mighty T, yay!), hopefully it arrives before weekend..

I've played with its earlier incarnation the Edirol PCR800, which I thought to be a very good keyboard (build quality & feelwise), so I ended up buying the upgraded version. It's not under the 100 euro mark, but I hope it will be my trusted partner for years to come. The A800 is the 61-key version, I think there are smaller ones as well. Some shops still have that PCR800 and it sells around 250e.

Few things I wanted:
- split point
- pedal inputs
- programmability
- pitch bend/modulation sideways instead of up-down
- MIDI in/out
- touch sensitive drum pads

Extras I get:
- aftertouch
- 9 knobs&sliders instead of 8
- Cakewalk plugins

I made the decision over a M-Audio Axiom because I've played the earlier version of the board and I've got a picture of Roland as a quality company .. Time will tell about the keybed feel..

I've got an A300-Pro and i was gonna mention them but the A500 Pro is £220, i'm curious what kinda deal you got! Good responsive key action but aftertouch requires some pressure so it's hard to control delicately, been meaning to get a pedal. Iirc it's the same keybed as their synths anyway and the overall build quality is great. The extra ports are really useful if you want to connect a synth module and use some pedals. :)

Definitely go bigger than 37 keys though.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

musikmachine wrote:I've got an A300-Pro and i was gonna mention them but the A500 Pro is £220, i'm curious what kinda deal you got!
I paid 295€ for it and grabbed a power adapter as well for 25 (so I don't need USB to power it up), so around £260+delivery.

Nice to hear you like your own, makes my waiting even more anxious..

ras.s wrote:
musikmachine wrote:I've got an A300-Pro and i was gonna mention them but the A500 Pro is £220, i'm curious what kinda deal you got!
I paid 295€ for it and grabbed a power adapter as well for 25 (so I don't need USB to power it up), so around £260+delivery.

So a bit over the OPs budget then. :hihi:

I totally forgot about the dc power, that's one of the reasons i bought it but i always use usb.

Anyway, saw the Emu X-board mentioned in another thread but no experience with their controllers. Had an Oxygen v3 before but didn't like the keys, very spongy and no AT. Had a microkorg too which i think uses the same keys, not the best for playing expressively unless you're Jordan Rudess. :hihi:

Imho get something with a decent keybed if you want to play seriously.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

musikmachine wrote:
ras.s wrote:

So a bit over the OPs budget then. :hihi:

I totally forgot about the dc power, that's one of the reasons i bought it but i always use usb.

Anyway, saw the Emu X-board mentioned in another thread but no experience with their controllers. Had an Oxygen v3 before but didn't like the keys, very spongy and no AT. Had a microkorg too which i think uses the same keys, not the best for playing expressively unless you're Jordan Rudess. :hihi:

Imho get something with a decent keybed if you want to play seriously.
I have an X-board 61
Knobs and the keyboard is quite ok. Unfortunately, the chassis made ​​of very thin plastic. There is nothing that I recommend, but I would like to mention the Longboard
http://www.creative.com/emu/products/pr ... ?pid=19112

I have a KX-25 and am actually on here looking for more info on a 49 key keyboard.

With only 2 octaves, you won't be able to play melody and bass part together. It is really frustrating. If you don't want a large keyboard, at least get 49 keys to have 4 octaves of playability. Though 61-76 if you can do that. I also have a Kurzweil PC3 (76 keys, semi weighted) and the keybed is fantastic on it. But it is also the size of a surfboard and weighs half a ton.

I'm actually on the lookout for a cheap Novation KS4 (essentially double poly K-Station with 49 keys) to rectify the issue of the 25 keys on the KX-25 and have a hands-on (tons of knobs and sliders) hardware synth to play. They are a rare creature (KS4) in the second hand world it seem.. well.. at least in the USA.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”