YAMAHA , ROLAND, KORG, KURZWEIL (Anything exciting from them in 2013) ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MrDuke wrote:
ksandvik wrote:
As for all these workstations... I don't need them. I use a laptop or soon an iPad. Easier to program than looking through menus and sub-menues
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree on my part (not that this hasn't been discussed ad nauseaum). Nothing beats the immediacy of a hardware workstation or a stage piano, when changing sounds live, for instance. As far as the ease of programming...maybe so, depends on the product. An iPad is a great UI (anything "hands-on" is), but keyboards such as Roland's JP80 have touch screens as well (and actually an iPad app that complements it...).

Having a million presets from the get-go also helps. Not to mention that some of those megabyte keyboards still miraculously sound better than gigabyte Kontakt instruments...

I used to play "bread & butter" gigs live with a Fatar/Studiologic + a Mac laptop, but gave up on it - it was just such a hassle. AND you had to program a set into Mainstage anyway...which was kind of unreliable and CPU-heavy anyway.
I was talking about all the built-in sequencing/arp programming in the high-end workstations. I would never sit and program sequences in such a tiny-LCD display press button press button and press button with shift key environment.... Doing all the sequencing in Logic is painless.

As for Mainstage, I actually stress tested it this week, three live keyboard gigs with two different bands, about 5+ hours each gig, Mainstage running on an old MacBookPro 2008 model that has just gathered dust, 3Gb RAM (max:ed out). No single crash! Worked like a charm. And I packed up/down faster than the drummer. Now, imagine running all that on a MacBook Air with SSD and faster CPU. Oh, and I was lazy and didn't even bring an audio interface, straight out from the audio output to keyboard amp. Doubt anyone heard the slightly less Hi-Fi sound. I used the default Keyboard template, programmed the eight controls to control the templates and four buttons to switch between the sets and patches. Took a minute, painless.

I was mostly thinking about big workstation models with built-in OS/UI systems, you slap in an iPad and use that as the control surface. Job done.

And if we talk about HW keyboards, me thinks Nord still has the edge as they are focusing on a usable instrument rather than a computer-wannabe. But let's see what NAMM 2013 brings. For me I don't need those arp/sequencer battle tanks.

ksandvik wrote:And I packed up/down faster than the drummer.
That's not hard.

Let's see you set up / pack up faster than the singer. 8)

-Kim.

ksandvik wrote: I was talking about all the built-in sequencing/arp programming in the high-end workstations. I would never sit and program sequences in such a tiny-LCD display press button press button and press button with shift key environment.... Doing all the sequencing in Logic is painless.
Sounds like you haven't actually done any sequencing/arp programming on any currently produced high end workstation. They use touch screens and/or mouse controls now.

ksandvik wrote:
I was talking about all the built-in sequencing/arp programming in the high-end workstations. I would never sit and program sequences in such a tiny-LCD display
Ok. Even so, when a song idea comes, I do enjoy the freedom of NOT touching a computer or a mouse for a change. For instance, in Yamaha's modern Motif line (XS/XF), I find the workflow super convenient: basically you create Patterns which you then chain into a Song - especially when songs start their life as a groove, chord progression or a beat. (Or you can work in a traditional linear way, using Song mode only).

I wouldn't sequence an entire song or project on a workstation, of course not. But I don't think even the companies putting these products out encourage that - in promo material, it's quite common to see a Roland workstation hooked up to their Sonar and a Yamaha workstation hooked up to their Cubase.

ksandvik wrote:
...about 5+ hours each gig
Boy, I hope you at least got paid for such a marathon gig.

bobborries wrote:Image

True that! :tu:

Edit: ha, good trick, changing the pictures but keeping the name and location of them the same. That way you can change the contents of a post here at KVR without editing the post itself. :D

B.T.W. Isn't that Korg called Maxitribe instead? :hihi:

You've got a nice collection of instruments over there !
Last edited by Timfonie on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

You can tell the Korg is fake cause it has full size keys!

Watch out ROLAND, KORG, and KURZWEIL ...

Here comes YAMAHA : http://www.yamaha.com/namm/

Let me put my unimpressed hat on. :D

yay another rompler!

Looking forward to see what YAMAHA will offer this year !

Would love to see :

1. Their Next Generation Workstation

2. A New Synth that offers multiple synthesis engines (FM, Vector, Additive/Subtractive, ...etc)

3. A New Analog or Virtual Analog Synth.

We shall know what they have been hiding from us tomorrow at NAMM !

http://www.yamaha.com/namm/

Cheers,
Muziksculp

2. and 3.: very likely not gonna happen.

EvilDragon wrote:2. and 3.: very likely not gonna happen.
Heah... I am just wishing for this, but chances are it won't happen.

Maybe they offer some of 2 & 3 wishes as part of their next gen. workstation features. (we shall see)

What about Kurzweil ? What are they going to show ? a new Elect. Piano :roll: ? or finally release the K3000 ?

K3000 probably not yet. It's a huuuuuuge amount of work from what I heard. :)

But I'm sure they're going to show something up at the Messe. They've been busy lately.

Muziksculp wrote:Looking forward to see what YAMAHA will offer this

We shall know what they have been hiding from us tomorrow at NAMM !

http://www.yamaha.com/namm/

So...apparently a new violin, a piano and...Elton John.

What a disappointment. Though I can't say I'm that surprised.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”