Nektar Technology release Panorama P1 and Cubase support

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

olikana wrote:i don't use cubase...but the p1 with motorized faders would have definitely been a very good controller in any situation.
but my guess is it would have cost a lot more than 199$ if it had.
I was about to pay that amount for a Faderport. I suspect that even at $250 it would have been cool.

timbesamusca wrote:Justin, is it also possible to map the encoders above the faders to other functions if you don't want them to control the panning?
That is what Internal Mode is for. You have Mixer, Instrument and Transport modes for control surface functionality, then you have Internal mode for manual assignments. Since the control surface modes aren't just based on presets, you can switch back and forth on the fly. You also have access to Cubase's Quick Controls from Mixer Mode.

justin3am wrote:
timbesamusca wrote:Justin, is it also possible to map the encoders above the faders to other functions if you don't want them to control the panning?
That is what Internal Mode is for. You have Mixer, Instrument and Transport modes for control surface functionality, then you have Internal mode for manual assignments. Since the control surface modes aren't just based on presets, you can switch back and forth on the fly. You also have access to Cubase's Quick Controls from Mixer Mode.
Thanks for the reply Justin. I assume it's not possible to have the device in control surface mode while you keep a few encoders in internal mode right?

It's just that I really like to customize midi controllers to suit my workflow, that's why I'm asking this, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker or anything!

tehlord wrote:Still, why no motorised fader on the P1?!
It's supposed to be $299 USD.
If we do a full featured MCU style control surface, it will require more development time. The P1 was a logical step from the P4/P6.

I would love to talk about future product development because we have a lot of cool ideas, but you know how that goes.

justin3am wrote:
tehlord wrote:Still, why no motorised fader on the P1?!
It's supposed to be $299 USD.
If we do a full featured MCU style control surface, it will require more development time. The P1 was a logical step from the P4/P6.

I would love to talk about future product development because we have a lot of cool ideas, but you know how that goes.

Yup for sure.

I wasn't talking about an MCU style control though, just the single motorised fader that's on the keyboards. Seems like a weird omission no?

timbesamusca wrote:Thanks for the reply Justin. I assume it's not possible to have the device in control surface mode while you keep a few encoders in internal mode right?

It's just that I really like to customize midi controllers to suit my workflow, that's why I'm asking this, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker or anything!
I understand completely. It's a difficult balance to strike. We want to make the device as flexible as possible, but we also want it to be easy to use for folks who want everything to be configured automatically. For that reason we kept Internal Mode independent of the control surface modes... but again you can quickly switch between modes very quickly.

tehlord wrote:I wasn't talking about an MCU style control though, just the single motorised fader that's on the keyboards. Seems like a weird omission no?
Ahhh... I understand now. :)
Yeah, it would have been nice to have that single motorized fader on the P1 but the case would have to be much deeper and we wanted the it to be practical for people who want to throw it in a laptop bag (it's about the same size as a 15" laptop).

Thanks for your interest. I'm totally blown away by the response that we've gotten since we announced Cubase support. :)

Sell it WITH the fader and a bigger bag :x

I'll let you know how I get on with it in a couple of weeks :wink:

tehlord wrote:Sell it WITH the fader and a bigger bag :x

I'll let you know how I get on with it in a couple of weeks :wink:
You better love it or I won't be your friend anymore. :lol:

I'm sure I will. I've measured my desk and eeeeverything :hihi:

tehlord wrote:I'm sure I will. I've measured my desk and eeeeverything :hihi:
Let me know how you get on...once my ebay items have been put up and cash in, Im in the market for a new midi controller/keyboard and with the announced Cubase (7) support, velocity sens & aftertouch Im + pricing am likely to be in.

How much are the 61 versions incidentally?

How do these work in regards to controlling plugins as well as the cubase mixer simultaneously along with live midi capture. Ie muting unmuting multi channels simultaneously along with maybe tweaking a plugin parameter (filter/asdr,etc in for example in camelspace or synthmaster) at the same time?

Is there a recall for configurations within each individual project or is it a universal setup for Cubase?

MFXxx wrote:
tehlord wrote:I'm sure I will. I've measured my desk and eeeeverything :hihi:
Let me know how you get on...once my ebay items have been put up and cash in, Im in the market for a new midi controller/keyboard and with the announced Cubase (7) support, velocity sens & aftertouch Im + pricing am likely to be in.

How much are the 61 versions incidentally?

How do these work in regards to controlling plugins as well as the cubase mixer simultaneously along with live midi capture. Ie muting unmuting multi channels simultaneously along with maybe tweaking a plugin parameter (filter/asdr,etc in for example in camelspace or synthmaster) at the same time?

Is there a recall for configurations within each individual project or is it a universal setup for Cubase?
Panorama's default mode is called 'Internal Mode' in this mode Panorama operates as a generic MIDI Controller. Here you can assign CCs and other MIDI messages to controls and pads. Internal mode has 20 presets. When using Panorama as a control surface in Reason (or with our upcoming Cubase implementation) three more modes become active, Mixer, Instrument and Transport mode.

These modes operate independently of the Internal mode and are not part of the preset system. In fact you can still access Internal Mode and it's presets while using Panorama as a control surface in Reason or Cubase, this is very useful if you want to control hardware or a Rewired app.

To answer you question about plug-ins. While we plan on having mapping for all of Cubase's built in plug-ins and many popular third-party plug-ins at launch, Panorama also has a MIDI learn feature that allows you to make assignments for plug-ins that we haven't mapped. The benefit of handling MIDI learn from our end, is that the settings you make are recalled each time you instantiate the plug-in.

The keys are always routed to the instrument on the selected track but using zones and routing it's possible to control more than one instrument simultaneously. The motorized fader is also always assigned to the channel volume for the selected track. You also have dedicated Mute and solo buttons for the selected track. When using Mixer mode to control Cubase, you can control parameters for an insert plug-in and still have access to the Mixer parameters.

I hope that all makes sense.

Oh yeah, the P6's street price is $599 USD.

Just bought the P4 Justin, coming tomorrow morning :)

Rob

Hey thanks, dude. Let me know what you think.
Make sure to create a log-in here:
http://www.nektartech.com/registration

Then, when you get your unit you should register the serial number (located on the side of the box) to your account via the support page. Once you've done that you will get links to the knowledge base, and all the latest software updates.

If you have any questions, you can contact me here or via the Nektar website.

justin3am wrote:Hey thanks, dude. Let me know what you think.
Make sure to create a log-in here:
http://www.nektartech.com/registration

Then, when you get your unit you should register the serial number (located on the side of the box) to your account via the support page. Once you've done that you will get links to the knowledge base, and all the latest software updates.

If you have any questions, you can contact me here or via the Nektar website.
Yeah will take a pic when it arrives in the morning then i'll register it. I will more than likely start making a control template for Synthmaster too as i work in that synth every day doing the expansions etc :-)
Just had to have the P4 it looks the business and will do me for Cubase 7 as well.

Cheers

Rob

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”