KORG to re-release the MS-20!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

$600 street!

I'd really like a Sub Phatty, too. It's a whole different sound. And everyone should have a Moog in their arsenal.

himalaya wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Looks good but unplayable unless it has midi in
Why unplayable?
Mini keys plus tiny keyboard range. Might as well just make a desktop version

himalaya wrote:
Why unplayable?
He only uses a mouse in the PR :hihi:

aMUSEd wrote:
himalaya wrote:
Why unplayable?
Mini keys plus tiny keyboard range. Might as well just make a desktop version
Not mini keys. 86% full size.

Yeah! They aren't mini, they are just 86% of the normal size! :roll:

Yep, they are NOT mini keys. Medium. As I said already. MEDIUM!

Yep. The size looks ok to me. I went to Digital Village recently and to my surprise a lot of the new keyboard workstations had those slightly smaller keys. It felt strange on a 5 octave keyboard which would be used for polyphonic playing, but on a mono synth, I guess, these slightly smaller keys shouldn't pose any problems.

The UK price seems to be set at £499. A bargain! Compare it to £1300 on eBay! Hopefully the sound is tuned to match the original. :pray:

edit - typo
Last edited by himalaya on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Still too much money for a new monosynth, IMO.

This is kind of weird, it seems like they said "we got it right the first time, so we fixed it". I'm not an 1/8th inch or MEDIUM key fan.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Sequent wrote:
Or maybe one MS-20 and one Minibrute (thanks Himalaya for posting that track the other day!).)
Glad you found it useful. :-)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:
Sequent wrote:
Or maybe one MS-20 and one Minibrute (thanks Himalaya for posting that track the other day!).)
Glad you found it useful. :-)
Yes, I did. As others have mentioned, I was not really as excited about the MB until I heard your take on it. I don't know whether I should be thanking your or hating you! <just kidding, of course>

It was a very nice track, btw, even though as you said you were just "noodling". :)
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

himalaya wrote:Yep. The size looks ok to me. I went to Digital Village recently and to my surprise a lot of the new keyboard workstations had those slightly smaller keys. It felt strange on a 5 octave keyboard which would be used for polyphonic playing, but on a mono synth, I guess, these lightly smaller keys shouldn't pose any problems.

The UK price seems to be set at £499. A bargain! Compare it to £1300 on eBay! Hopefully the sound is tuned to match the original. :pray:
The price is better than I had expected. Let's hope the quality control at the factory is up to snuff. The build quality of my Radias seems to be pretty good, so here's hoping.

The smaller keys also depend on how big one's hands are. If you have bigger hands then they can be very annoying I imagine. Normally, I prefer full sized keys, but I don't mind the mini keys too much. The ones on the Korgs that I have are okay. The benefit, also, is that suddenly you can reach across a much wider range.

As you said, not as much of a problem on a mono synth and especially a 'modular' unless you plan on doing Rick Wakeman-esque or Emerson fast leads. But then on the MS20 you can always trigger it from a different keyboard. I think of it in the same way as I look at those keyboards on some softsynths: mainly useful for when you're designing a sound.
Last edited by Sequent on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

EvilDragon wrote:$600 street!

I'd really like a Sub Phatty, too. It's a whole different sound. And everyone should have a Moog in their arsenal.
$600!!!!! TAKE MY MONEY!!

Its a dream!! Expect to hear the MS-20 on every electronic music track ever made from now on! haha
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Anyway, tell me what are some known cool things you can do with the MS-20 since it's patchable. I'm really not that familiar with it. So let me know what I could expect!

Sami
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”