KORG to re-release the MS-20!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm supporting them - my minibrute gets here tomorrow! Yay for new affordable analog gear!
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

himalaya wrote:
Sequent wrote:
The price is better than I had expected.
Same here. It's all about the built quality now and the sound (obviously).
I was expecting a £800 price point, more or less. I suppose that's the financial/resource power of a major like Korg, since a little independent company would struggle to match this price.

Yes, I figured something coming from one of the big names like Korg, would be at a price point that the boutique manufacturers can't match. I figure I will get something from that group later on... because there is certainly a lot of cool stuff out there! In the meantime the MS and the Minibrute or something along those lines would suit me fine.

Anyway, just got the official email announcement from Korg. The King Korg also sounds very interesting, but that can come later.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

himalaya wrote:The interesting development is the new self-contained modular designs which are popping up from various places. From Macbeth with its Micromac, Pittsburgh's Foundation and the new Cell modules, to those designs from Brazil (the name of which escapes me now). These join Dark Energy, Telemark and similar...
That's what I was referring to by "full features synth units". We are seeing these quasi-modular units with built in capabilities, but full on CV patching. Which is awesome.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Speaking of CV, I can't find a reference to the CV control capabilities of this thing for external gear.

EDIT: Geez, I worded that like I've been drinking... hopefully you know what I meant. patching to other synths/modules...

SJ_Digriz wrote:
himalaya wrote:The interesting development is the new self-contained modular designs which are popping up from various places. From Macbeth with its Micromac, Pittsburgh's Foundation and the new Cell modules, to those designs from Brazil (the name of which escapes me now). These join Dark Energy, Telemark and similar...
That's what I was referring to by "full features synth units". We are seeing these quasi-modular units with built in capabilities, but full on CV patching. Which is awesome.

The Pittsburgh units look like they're actually collections of Eurorack modules with all the capabilities one would expect. They look like excellent entries into the modular world, and the Cell prices look very attractive.

Thanks a lot Korg for saving me $599. I was so excited about the announcement, yet now I'm so disappointed.

<rant on>

What's up with these mini-keys everywhere. Mini-this, mini-that. Will it never stop!? Did people shrink 86% over the past 30 years? Or dont people use the keyboard for actual playing anymore?

<rant off>

Chillpill :borg:
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

metal wrote:Thanks a lot Korg for saving me $599. I was so excited about the announcement, yet now I'm so disappointed.

<rant on>

What's up with these mini-keys everywhere. Mini-this, mini-that. Will it never stop!? Did people shrink 86% over the past 30 years? Or dont people use the keyboard for actual playing anymore?

<rant off>

Chillpill :borg:
Although I agree on the keyboard, for $600 this thing is killer if the build quality is good. It has proper MIDI in/out, so playing it won't be a problem.

Mini-this, mini-that, means mini-price tag. I think a lot more people have full size controllers already and don't want 88 key size gear for something that still has mini electronics.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

I still think that keyboard is perfectly playable. It's not MINI keys. It's MEDIUM. The original had regular piano-sized keys. This one has 86% of that, similar to an accordion.

Perfectly playable.

Here's that comparison again:

Not bad.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Will patch banks now be pdf's of knob settings and lead connections?
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Pretty much. :D

http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Just like the old days (not pdf of course) with settings in the back of the manuals. :)

An MS10 was my first synth in the 70's. Part of me is tempted by one of these for nostalgic reasons.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

+1 to both Wormhelmet and EvilDragon. There's nothing wrong with accordion sized keys. Have you ever played an accordion or seen one played... some of those guys can play very fast... probably faster than a lot of us around here <just saying>.

One other thing you should know about the keyboard... the original was not velocity or aftertouch sensitive. So this one may very well not be either.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”