KORG to re-release the MS-20!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"trite" or not I think it's a valid concern. I'm glad you brought it up.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Sequent wrote:(like the starter systems from Pittsburgh Modular)... life is good! And as you say... not having to scour ebay makes it even better. :)
That Cell system from Pittsburgh, I don't know if any one has noticed what is special about the oscillator section...and it has the potential to be very special. It really needs its own thread to highlight and discuss and spread more good Chi. :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Sequent wrote:"trite" or not I think it's a valid concern. I'm glad you brought it up.
Thank you Sequent. I'm 100% certain others feel the same too, though they may not be interested in having to "argue" or risk getting trolled/flamed for the sake of stating their personal preference. But I'm content that at least one person is willing to say they're grateful that I bought it up :tu:

cmon people don't start fighting in this thread, it's been mostly positive! Keep the MS20 mini excitement happening!
:borg:

ChiTown24 wrote:
Sequent wrote:"trite" or not I think it's a valid concern. I'm glad you brought it up.
Thank you Sequent. I'm 100% certain others feel the same too, though they may not be interested in having to "argue" or risk getting trolled/flamed for the sake of stating their personal preference. But I'm content that at least one person is willing to say they're grateful that I bought it up :tu:
I think you're overreacting. Reading your post i also got the expression that you are expressing a judgement:
ChiTown24 wrote: not a great demo, but right at the end the KORG rep confirms that the oscillators are digitally stabilized. It's kind of odd because before that he stresses how it's only the midi-in & USB that's digital. Then the guy behind the camera asks if it's digitally stabilized and the rep says "ya, but just the oscillators"

derp derp ?
Well maybe, i'm having language issues too and misunderstood the "derp derp?". :P

V0RT3X wrote:cmon people don't start fighting in this thread, it's been mostly positive! Keep the MS20 mini excitement happening!
+1
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Another thread going down in flames cause of a passive-aggressive know-it-all?
Say it aint so...

Sequent wrote:Sounds like the oscillator from the Monotribe in that case.
Exactly. VCOs with auto-tune circuit/feature like in other VCO synths.

Difference in older synths like Jupiter 8 is that the auto-tune was not on all the time (had a switch) and also in newer synth like e.g. the Little Phatty it could be switched on/off.

quote about Monotribe:

"Auto-Tuning Analog

Analog synthesizers of yesteryear were prone to drift in pitch. But no more! The monotribe?s auto-tuning circuitry provides stable chromatic playability, and will not go out of tune. This auto-tuning technology also means no warm-up time, no servicing for pitch calibration, no sensitivity to temperature changes - just the great sound of analog VCO."

This is from the Monotribe manual:

"Self-tuning function

When not producing sound, the monotribe tunes itself internally to
correct any pitch drift that may occur due to temperature changes or
aging. Despite the analog VCO, the monotribe does not require reguler
servicing to stay in tune over time; the monotribe can deliver
reliable performance as soon as the power is turned on."

links:
http://www.korg.com/monotribe
http://www.korg.de/produkte/synthesizer ... nfo-3.html

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

chk071 wrote:Reading your post i also got the expression that you are expressing a judgement:
ChiTown24 wrote: not a great demo, but right at the end the KORG rep confirms that the oscillators are digitally stabilized. It's kind of odd because before that he stresses how it's only the midi-in & USB that's digital. Then the guy behind the camera asks if it's digitally stabilized and the rep says "ya, but just the oscillators"

derp derp ?
Well maybe, i'm having language issues too and misunderstood the "derp derp?". :P
Sounds like you are. For a start, I have only expressed a preference {pref·er·ence} - not a judgement {judg·ment}. And it was in the previous post to the one you've quoted, where I mentioned digitally stablized oscillators and expressed that I hoped that wasn't true.

what you've quoted above is my bemusement {be·muse'ment} at the fact the rep makes much ado of how few digital elements there are, and in the same breath when asked a good & straight forward question about digital stabilization, he concedes that yes indeed the oscillators are digitally stabilized. I would have thought that would factor in under the 'digital' umbrella, obviously the KORG employee thinks differently - at least up until the point of being asked directly.

Besides, no one has really had the stigma-free opportunity to expound on why they might prefer the oscillator to be digital stabilization free. the mere confirmation of this tech spec immediately brought about ridicule & denunciation from some loud mouth who can't stomach the preferences of others. fighting dogma with dogma - a novel idea for the 21st century.

@aural chaos
it's going down in flames, as you say, because of posts like yours. fanning the flames from the sidelines and adding absolutely nothing to the thread in the way of any useful facts or figures. good for you, more posts like yours, and we'll all come away knowing a little something more about...not much.

:shrug:

The pretend guides to the pronunciation of judgement, preference, and bemusement really says a lot...

I completely fail to see what the big deal is about a digitally stabilized oscillator other than your oscillator drift not happening which is really a big deal. Are there analog purists that will whine over this or something? Go buy the old one if you don't like it.

:roll:
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:I completely fail to see what the big deal is about a digitally stabilized oscillator other than your oscillator drift not happening which is really a big deal. Are there analog purists that will whine over this or something? Go buy the old one if you don't like it.

As i already tried to explain in my last post it seems to work with an auto-tuning circuit like in the Monotribe. AFAIK this is only used while no note is played.
When playing it should be able to drift normally.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

...everyone hold hands and sing a song pls, k?

MS-20!! $599!! SUPER SMART OFF DUTY SELF TUNING VCOs!! (apparently)

Good shit, rejoice :)

Ingonator wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:I completely fail to see what the big deal is about a digitally stabilized oscillator other than your oscillator drift not happening which is really a big deal. Are there analog purists that will whine over this or something? Go buy the old one if you don't like it.

Ass i already tried to explain in my last post it seems to work with an auto-tuning circuit like in the Monotribe. AFAIK this is only used while no note is played.
When playing it should be able to drift normally.

Ingo
Oh man, that response could have had a whole new meaning if you put a period after the word "Ass".

:lol:
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”