KORG to re-release the MS-20!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

eXode wrote:Image
That's just a rumor someone from Spain or Argentina spread in the web. Picture is showing this.
ImageImage

WOK wrote:
That's just a rumor someone from Spain or Argentina spread in the web. Picture is showing this.
I thought the same...

This one looks even more interesting:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/ ... photoshop/
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

WOK wrote:
This picture is different from that one if you look closely. This new version have the power/volume led to the bottom left of the volume knob and the phones output is black. Also there are four screws on each panel corner

On the USB controller that you point to the power LED is above the volume knob and the phones output is the same color as the other jacks. Finally those four screws on the panel corners are not there.

Compare with the original Legacy controller below:

Remember when I had an MS-10 to play with for a while.

Plugging in my guitar and the microphone, wondering why I wasn't getting
Dr.Who Dalek sounds back out.

I seem to remember it was rather good at bass sounds, and of course the whistling whooshes...

But what I really miss is my Jen SX-1000 - a serious Dub machine. Had to put it through a few fx to make it come alive, but seriously thick, grainy luscious pads and quite cutting, fat, warm bass/leads - a very under-rated synth.

The MS-10 was just a bugger to program, but then again I didn't know what an oscillator was (for).

Really happy with my complete Legacy collection. No room for more hardware anyway. The MS-10 is one of the few synths that I can comment on as whether the software emulation is as good as the hardware, but I would say so. Even if it was an MS-10 I would be comparing.

Do I remember correctly that some bod was saying that the MS-10 actually had a slightly different filter compared to the MS-20, and that it would lend itself to even 'raspier' sounds than its big brother/sister?

Anyway, what I really really want is any synth in the Legacy collection to be loadable into the Legacy Cell, preferably all synths at once, with maybe even a few instances of each stackable on top.

Is that too much to ask?

Oh and how about changing the f******* GUI size so the synths that made me half-blind in the first place would be semi-legible?

Now that would be something to get excited about. :hihi:

I thought this was about re-issuing the MS-20 VST with a reasonable GUI finally. :(

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I thought this was about re-issuing the MS-20 VST with a reasonable GUI finally. :(
Um..

I think you have a couple of options with that:
A/ Wait until Image-Line release Sytrus with a GUI that does not need a pair of binoculars to read.
B/ Wait until Hell freezes over.

Either of those are more likely to happen before you get your not unreasonable wish.

And to think they can code those hardware beasts into software. No one would have believed it possible only a few years ago.

And now they can't add a few more pixels to the soup.

Shocking. :shock:

Still keeping my original one. Prices will plummet in the short term, but there's nothing like owning the original 8)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Oh my dreams have been answered!

I hope it honestly sounds as good as the original!

This is going to be a f**king no brainer for me.
:borg:

eXode wrote: The news has just came in from winter NAMM 2013.

Source: Waveformz.com
NAMM doesnt start till the 24th....so this isnt official news is it....

codec_spurt wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I thought this was about re-issuing the MS-20 VST with a reasonable GUI finally. :(
Um..

I think you have a couple of options with that:
A/ Wait until Image-Line release Sytrus with a GUI that does not need a pair of binoculars to read.
B/ Wait until Hell freezes over.

Either of those are more likely to happen before you get your not unreasonable wish.

And to think they can code those hardware beasts into software. No one would have believed it possible only a few years ago.

And now they can't add a few more pixels to the soup.

Shocking. :shock:
:lol:

Well put!

However since they are updating their legacy plug-ins to 64bit (which they previously said they weren't doing), we can at least hope that they will dig deep and find the means to expand the edit window so that you don't have to scroll around in a window 1/8th the size of the average screen real estate.

Yeah, even at the time it came out it was a bit of a 'wtf?'.

Just goes to show they iz real programmerz innitz?

=====
KORG LABZ
======

Japanese Genius fellows:

Ah. So. Zey Want Ze UBER Gui?
(They had German parentz)

Ah ah. Eh eh.

==========
KORG LABZ
===========

Really, all bad jokes aside.
I think we should just be thankful the software exists.
I mean. It is a monument to mans achievement. First he invented the wheel.
Then he abstracted the meaning of the wheel. And then encapsulated that into further technology. (Ahem)

We've done the difficult bit. Let's just stop here. Why let a few half-blind bastards inconvenience us?

You might not be half-blind now, but believe me, you will be if you stare at these guis as much as I or Echoes in the Attic have.

It's ok. I know they won't do it. I don't use the plugins any more. I can't see them. I got a big monitor with the lowest resolution I could. Still don't help. Developers are inconsiderate bastards. I guess a lot of people use very low resolution monitors and think that moving to a high-resolution one will make guis bigger. I await their rude awakening. eh eh...

V0RT3X wrote:Oh my dreams have been answered!

I hope it honestly sounds as good as the original!

This is going to be a f**king no brainer for me.

This could go either way... either it's true or just a rumor. If it's true, I also will be very tempted to get it. If it's true it might wind up being the "hot" item of the season... so good luck getting one initially!

I'm thinking it 'might' be true.

The way I see it... they're probably repurposing the tech from two existing products... the Monotron meets the Legacy controller. If you read the blurb about the Monotron it's described as having the filter from the MS-10 and MS-20, etc. So considering that some of the development work would have already been more or less done (e.g. designing the circuits tooling the original ideas for today's manufacturing processes), and then adding in the ongoing popularity of the originals, I can see someone having the idea to put those two building blocks together and creating a reissue.

So, the question then becomes how DOES a Monotron sound? How does the sound compare to a vintage MS-10/MS-20?

I figure it might be something akin to a Matrix 1000 vs. an Expander, etc. I, for one wouldn't mind a Matrix 1000... even though it can't hold a candle to an Expander. But that's an entirely different discussion.

Suffice it to say if the rumor is true... I guess we'll find out soon! If the rumor is true, it's most likely going to be a no brainer for me as well. :)
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

I love Korg stuff btw. I just bought a Kaoss Pad Quad.

And I'm just working out which version of the Monotron I need to compliment it.

codec_spurt wrote:I love Korg stuff btw. I just bought a Kaoss Pad Quad.

And I'm just working out which version of the Monotron I need to compliment it.
all3 are worthwhile :)
bit fiddly to play the kb on them yes, but at the price definite no brainers!
id say the duo or delay are the best two, the delay is beautiful!!

Goodo!

All I need is some leads to connect them.

I got my mint Akai MG614 to set up too...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”