DSI Prophet 12

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:It doesn't have Prophet VS waveforms inside (as reported by Chris from DSI on Gearslutz).

Wavetables in Prophet 12 only crossfade between 3 waveforms.
Yes, and I think he said that there will be 4 sets of configurable tables (3 forms each). But I couldn't tell if it is per voice or per osc. The merged threads on GS made following the discussion hard.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

He also said they hadn't decided if the wave sets were going to be fixed/predetermined, or if they were going to allow you to choose the waveform combos yourself.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

This looks to be awesome.

There is a sort of a Prophet 12 sampler/demo up on soundcloud by Rozzer.

http://soundcloud.com/rozzer/dave-smith ... ts-prophet

Personally I find some of the tones produced to be excellent quite frankly. Sounds like it could be an out of this world sound designers keyboard really.

SJ_Digriz wrote: But, I'm surprised at the tepid response to this guy. This is basically the analogue path version of a workstation. 12 voices, 4 OSC per voice + 4 LFOs per voice, 4 delays etc...? That's insane.
I'm not. Ok, so first, I'll say that I think that it's the best Dave has brought to the table out of his new line so far. I really agree that leveraging the power of digital is really the way to make a new analog poly stand out. At the end of the day though, it's still a CEM chip powered synth. I would be much more excited about the A6 because the technology is so different. For people that have been around for a while, CEM filters are just not that exciting.

So, good job Dave, and now how about pulling some strings and getting the SSM2040 chip updated and back into production, then I might buy your synths.

ghettosynth wrote:So, good job Dave, and now how about pulling some strings and getting the SSM2040 chip updated and back into production, then I might buy your synths.
The SSM2040 is a wonderful filter but I doubt that Dave or anyone else can pull any strings to get them in production again, sadly.

The thing that has me scratching my head is that they would bother to implement wavetable scanning and then make it even more limited than a PPG Wave from 30 years ago. I mean, why not offer a broad palette of wavetables? It was being said on GS that they deliberately chose not to make this an update of past tech like the PPG and wanted to do something different. I don't see how making the selection of raw wavetable material even more sparse than a three-decade-old design is in any way forward-thinking, it just seems like an arbitrary and unnecessary limitation. If you can go into a menu page and select from a list of 12 tables, you could just as readily be choosing from a list of 100. No extra knobs or further complication to the user interface required.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

There's also a mini review of it here (also by Rozzer):

http://www.rozzer.net/2013/04/16/dave-s ... ni-review/

eXode wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:So, good job Dave, and now how about pulling some strings and getting the SSM2040 chip updated and back into production, then I might buy your synths.
The SSM2040 is a wonderful filter but I doubt that Dave or anyone else can pull any strings to get them in production again, sadly.
I agree that bringing it back into production would be a challenge, but designing modern day analog circuits that sound better than the CEM, not so much. I would look to Korg for this leadership, however, and not to Dave Smith. More to the point though, and I don't mean this to sound like criticism of Dave or his company, but, designing something like the 2040 is really not, at least historically, been one of Dave's strengths. The Prophet 5 was a major breakthrough, but not because Dave designed great analog synth circuits, but because he's a good embedded systems designer and a decent product designer. The analog design for all of his synths has basically came from SSM and CEM.

I think that Dave is succeeding now as a businessman because he is able to reuse the expensive part of the analog design over and over again. That's great, it means that you can buy a modern reliable polysynth, and it sucks, because they really aren't that interesting to me soundwise.

I'm hoping that he's wildly successful so that Korg and Roland try to get back into the game.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”