Roland 808 Hardware Clones?(Resolved)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:
breakmixer wrote:Novation Drum Station, Drum Station V2 or D Station.(Secondhand market)

AcidLab Miami

Tempest??!! - I've heard an awesome 808 sound coming from this - but is that 808 kit tweakable like the real deal or static presets, I've only just learnt Tempest is a hybrid, Analog Drum Synth and Sample player.

Arturia Spark Hardware
Of this list, I'd say the Tempest or Spark. I'd go Spark, myself.
Actually I like SparkLe, but not for 808 - the physical modeling of the 808/909 misses the spot, I do like the concept and vast sounds it can do though. Yeah, nice, compact, but not what I'm looking for presently! Just checked out the video/VDM I already own, going to remove that option! :)

Going to bed now - but any ideas/opinions please chime in. I'll check back tomorrow after work!

Work!

:cry:

Uncle E wrote:
Lovin' that! :love:
Ordering one tomorrow.. really like these :-)

Rob

Currently i use one of these and they're great too

rob_lee wrote:Ordering one tomorrow.. really like these :-)
We still have some left over from the $1,071 sale. We also have an used MKI that's been upgraded with the MKII and +Drive chip for $799.

Most people who remember the Roland SC55 Sound Canvas probably passed it by and know they sell very very cheap. One here went for $100 the other day. The General midi sounds are passable, but not exciting.

If I told you that channel 10 had multiple drum kits, and one of these held all the 808 sounds (General Midi implementation).....

If you want analogue drumsounds, you can choose betweek the Miami (totally gerat) and the MFB522 (quite ok for the price).

Of course you can just choose a VA like Novation drumstation or use samples in an Arturia Spark.

+1 for the MFB522, I love the damn thing! Sure, it's a bit noisy and the outputs are all miniplugs, but play that thing live on a big PA and it'll get the job done real nice :D

rob_lee wrote:Currently i use one of these and they're great too

How close is this sound/tweakability to the real deal 808 in your opinion, I'm headed in this direction currently,

Not into that Machine Drum, MFB522 or Delptronics one, I have checked the videos/sounds.

Unsure about Miami now, don't think I want to lay out that much cash, it's nice though.

breakmixer wrote: How close is this sound/tweakability to the real deal 808 in your opinion, I'm headed in this direction currently,
Hi,

Iv'e never used a real 808, only a TR909 but the D-Station i have sounds just like the real one after watching YouTube videos and way way cheaper. I'm sure the earlier Drmstations are the same. I have the newer D-Station which has the 8 note poly instead of the earlier 5 note V1 and V2..

Here's some text pasted from the VSE site and a link:
The D-Station is mostly a cosmetic update to the Drum Station v2, so that it will match up nicely with Novation's A-Station Bass Synth module. So, just like the Drum Station, the D-Station brings all the famous sounds of the TR-909 and TR-808 drum machines via mix of Analog Sound Modeling and sampled voices. On-board controls similar to the classic TR machines provide knobs for individual drum sound level, tune, attack and a few others to tweak the sounds in real-time.

Compared to the Drum Station that came before it, the D-Station has a few enhancements, namely 8-note polyphony from the former's 5-notes. Besides a new look, the front panel features more robust and tactile rotary knobs. While the D-Station still seems to be pretty slim on memory - only 40 patches - there are only 12 sounds in the thing, so 40 patches is usually more than enough for designing drum kits with your own custom tweaked sounds. You have total MIDI control of drum parameters and the rotary controls transmit MIDI controller data. These can be recorded into a sequencer and then played back to the D-Station which responds by re-creating the changes in real-time. The only on-board effects are Distortion and Front cut editing of the attack portion of drum sounds.

Like the Drum and Bass Station before it, the D-Station further connects this modern day drum synth to the TR machines of yesterday by including a DIN Sync output. The D-Station converts MIDI Clock data into a Din Sync control pulse which will allow any compatible unit (TB303, TR808, TR909 for example) to run in synchronization with your MIDI equipment. If you want more than just samples of the 808 or 909; if you want truly tweakable and analog sounding replicas, you can never go wrong with the Drum Station, or in this case, the new D-Station.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/novation/dstation.php

Rob

@ Rob Lee, thanks!

:D

Didn't want to quote your large post!

breakmixer wrote:@ Rob Lee, thanks!

:D

Didn't want to quote your large post!
Your welcome.. there's bidding on a D-Station on Ebay now.. It took me a few years to track down one of these. They rarely come up..grab it if you can here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Novation-D-St ... 19d8aa5244

Rob

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”