Elektron Analog Four

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To those who own it or have used it...how do you find the response of the knobs? I've seen the Sonic State video and I've noticed that during the demonstration it took lots and lots of turns to get to a parameter value. In fact I was surprised how involved the knob turning was. What's your experience?

Also, the knobs don't look that inviting being thin and smooth - not the best design. I like knobs to have some texture, be thicker with grooves, something like this (as a minimum):

http://innovative-components.knobsource ... 20Knob.JPG

or this

http://innovative-components.knobsource ... b%2078.JPG

but what do you feel? Are they 'grabbable' ?
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

The range of movement depends on the parameter. For example modulation depth parameters require more turns to get from min to max than filter cutoff. However, just like the encoders on the Octatrack, if you press down on the encoder while turning you get coarse control so you can get from min to max in a single turn.

I think this is a limitation of using encoders. Encoders can only typically step through 24-32 values per turn, unless you are using REALLY expensive encoders. For this reason you need a means of switching between fine and coarse control.

The knobs on my A4 feel the same as on my Octatrack. They have a soft touch to them and feel very 'grabbable'. I'm a heavy tweaker so this is a big concern for me.

Thanks.
justin3am wrote: I'm a heavy tweaker so this is a big concern for me.
Yup. We're on the same page. :D

Can't wait to give it a spin. I've got enough h/d synths (and more on the way), but nothing like Analog4 with built-in step sequencers.

The sequencers are what make the A4 for me. The synth voices and FX sound good but don't do much I couldn't achieve with my modular and outboard FX.

...Actually, I take that back. The multimode filters have a unique sound to them and don't resemble any of the other analog filters I have. I'm really surprised by how much I like those filters.

Still, the sequencer and parameter locks are where it's at. Being able to use p-locks on my modular is pretty bad ass.
Last edited by justin3am on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

himalaya wrote:Thanks.
justin3am wrote: I'm a heavy tweaker so this is a big concern for me.
Yup. We're on the same page. :D

Can't wait to give it a spin. I've got enough h/d synths (and more on the way), but nothing like Analog4 with built-in step sequencers.
KNOBS are better than a MOUSE.. Analog Four the business Parameter locks rule.. go buy one tomorrow you'll not be able to put it down if your a heavy tweaker :wink:

rob_lee wrote:
KNOBS are better than a MOUSE..
That's a given. But I just wish that the design of these knobs/encoders was a bit more tactile. No biggie though, if they work well.

BTW, the best knobs are used by Vermona on their Monolancet/Perfourmer synths. They can be turned with one finger. How 'bout that! :D

justin3am wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Also I like the fact that they have 4 cv outs, so it might be a good couple for korg ms 20 mini.
maybe not as good as you imagine.. with respect pitch sequencing anyway. If i'm not mistaken the Analog 4 doesn't output pitch slides via CV
Hmm... I thought I was able to do this (I'm using the A4 to drive my Eurorack modular). I'll have to check how Note slides work on the CV and FX tracks. It's also possible to route sequences from the Synth tracks to the CV outputs but I don't know if it makes any difference.

I'll report back later tonight.
Looks like I was mistaken. You can do parameter slides between steps on the CV track but you can't do note slides. I guess you could simulate a note slide by using a p-lock to slide to a different semitone but it would be nice to have note slide work on CV tracks.

justin3am wrote:
justin3am wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Also I like the fact that they have 4 cv outs, so it might be a good couple for korg ms 20 mini.
maybe not as good as you imagine.. with respect pitch sequencing anyway. If i'm not mistaken the Analog 4 doesn't output pitch slides via CV
Hmm... I thought I was able to do this (I'm using the A4 to drive my Eurorack modular). I'll have to check how Note slides work on the CV and FX tracks. It's also possible to route sequences from the Synth tracks to the CV outputs but I don't know if it makes any difference.

Looks like I was mistaken. You can do parameter slides between steps on the CV track but you can't do note slides. I guess you could simulate a note slide by using a p-lock to slide to a different semitone but it would be nice to have note slide work on CV tracks.
ya, I thought so, but was hoping the knowledge was outdated.. and an update might have addressed it by now.

I own a Machinedrum for quite some years now, so being more than familiar with the Elektron interface I am not keen on simulating/working-around this limitation by memorizing key/note values as numbers between 1-127. Not to mention, presumably, forgoing features that would exist on the pitch sequencer but would be missing on the CV seqencer {like arps.. I presume there's more differences}. And of course the workflow issues of not being able to copy/paste sequences created on the internal sounds and use them on external. Presuming there's pitch slides of course.

They're bound to address this at some point, certainly if enough people ask for it. Usually takes them at least a year to get their new products foibles ironed out anyway. I'm hoping this one ranks pretty highly..

Thanks for double checking this!

Wow. knobsource.com is amazing. But as far as I see, they are not selling them for public. Am I right?
justin3am wrote:Encoders can only typically step through 24-32 values per turn, unless you are using REALLY expensive encoders.
Do you have an experience with "expensive encoders" or do you have a link to site/discussion with names?

I have an idea to do some diy, after I get back to US. So I'm collecting info about components.
Murderous duck!

ChiTown24 wrote:And of course the workflow issues of not being able to copy/paste sequences created on the internal sounds and use them on external. Presuming there's pitch slides of course.
That's THE problem.
Murderous duck!

How does the A4 sequencer handle transposition?

Let's say I make a 1-bar pattern, and then copy it 3x to make a 4-bar pattern (actually, how do I do that - can I copy and paste just a range of a track?). I want to transpose bars 2, 3, and 4 up and down by various amounts. Can I transpose just 1 bar? And then say I want to transpose the last few notes of bar 4 (but only part of the bar) - what is the process to do this? Do I have to transpose each individual note hit, or can I transpose a block of them all at once?

I've read the manual but AFAICT it just discusses track transposition. Is this something you'd do with trigless trigs or some other (unnecessarily cryptically named) feature?

If you start with a 1 bar pattern then set the pattern to 4 bars, the pattern will automatically get copied to the other bars.

If I had to do the kind of editing you describe, I'd just edit each note individually (which can be done pretty quickly).

To answer your question more directly, I don't think most of that is possible with the current OS but I'm not sure because I don't typically work that way.

david.beholder wrote:
justin3am wrote:Encoders can only typically step through 24-32 values per turn, unless you are using REALLY expensive encoders.
Do you have an experience with "expensive encoders" or do you have a link to site/discussion with names?

I have an idea to do some diy, after I get back to US. So I'm collecting info about components.
Bourns EAW line of encoders have 128 PPR resolution and are probably $8 a piece in small quantities. That is the cheapest high-res encoder I'm aware of. A lot of the more expensive encoders are designed for high RPMs and are used to measure servo rotations and such.
Then you have optical encoders that can have like 10,000 PPR but they are going to be more than $200 a piece.

justin3am wrote:If you start with a 1 bar pattern then set the pattern to 4 bars, the pattern will automatically get copied to the other bars.

If I had to do the kind of editing you describe, I'd just edit each note individually (which can be done pretty quickly).

To answer your question more directly, I don't think most of that is possible with the current OS but I'm not sure because I don't typically work that way.
Thanks for the info.

I love hardware sequencers, but this points out one of the biggest problems I have with them - while they have a knob or button to change most everything you'd want to change, they generally have very little ability to handle scope. The changes are all done at the same level of abstraction, the lowest. But being able to change scope is very useful for composition and arrangement. Unless a sequencer has a good means to address this, it's not going to fit my workflow - I'm going to run into the limits of what it can do very fast.

ChiTown24 wrote:
justin3am wrote:
justin3am wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:

ya, I thought so, but was hoping the knowledge was outdated.. and an update might have addressed it by now.
In OS 1.05 Note slides work on CV tracks. Yay!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”