Elektron Analog Four

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rob_lee wrote:I know there are tricks to get around this as talked about in this video below but it would be great if A4 could do that as standard.
That's exactly what makes me scratch my head - chord mode/monotimbrality looks like obvious and usable thing.

It's especially sad, because I really like the way their demos are sounding - way more than say new DSI P'12.
Murderous duck!

justin3am wrote:That's a bummer. I remember when I first got my 828mk3, I had a similar experience. I don't remember what I did to fix the problem... I think the main outs didn't have anything routed to them by default or something. Anyway, sorry to hear you aren't happy with the Ultralite. Hope you find something that does suit your needs.
Yeah it's now 9hrs iv'e been messing around with this Justin.. it's fair to say that i'm pretty pissed off here.. i should have just kept the delta 1010 rack cause it was so simple.
Iv'e tried all connections here.. cue mix software the lot.. only thing i hear from the phones output is if i play mp3's or YouTube videos but when i wanna paly synths it's no dice :x
Gotta be something on the actual unit (motu) that's setup wrong.. i'll keep trying but thanks anyways.

Rob

david.beholder wrote:
rob_lee wrote:I know there are tricks to get around this as talked about in this video below but it would be great if A4 could do that as standard.
That's exactly what makes me scratch my head - chord mode/monotimbrality looks like obvious and usable thing.

It's especially sad, because I really like the way their demos are sounding - way more than say new DSI P'12.
+1 :)

rob_lee wrote:Yeah it's now 9hrs iv'e been messing around with this Justin.. it's fair to say that i'm pretty pissed off here..
Have you e-mailed MOTU yet? Their support is excellent.

Uncle E wrote:
rob_lee wrote:Yeah it's now 9hrs iv'e been messing around with this Justin.. it's fair to say that i'm pretty pissed off here..
Have you e-mailed MOTU yet? Their support is excellent.
I figured the first part out i have sound :-) All the channels were muted in the Cue Mix software.. FFS a matter of 1 click and unmuting all the channels :oops:

Now to configure this in Cubase :-)

Rob

I've finally had some free time to spend with the A4 and I just love it more and more. The filters both have a lot of character but the multimode filter really stands out. It can really scream and works well as a resonator. The synth voices are very flexible and since the LFOs go up to audio rates you can get some great dynamic timbres and really nasty, ugly stuff too.

The ability to switch sounds/presets per step is sooooo cool. The sequencer is, typical of Elektron boxes, incredibly well integrated with the synth voices and effect section. I do wish there was a quicker way to access kits without changing patterns. The one octave keyboard makes it easy to program melodic sequencers live or in step mode. The arpeggiators are also very flexible.

The CV track is such a cool feature. The CV outputs can be configured to transmit v/oct, hz/v, gate, s-trig, or modulation signals from 2 envelopes and 2 LFOs. I can sequence two voices on my modular at once or send a bunch of modulation signals. Of course you can also use the also use the param locks on the CV track.

Have I mentioned it works really well with the Octatrack too? :hihi:
Last edited by justin3am on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

I posted a track debra1rlo and I did in the music cafe, I used the A4 for all the synth parts.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=374751

justin3am wrote:I posted a track debra1rlo and I did in the music cafe, I used the A4 for all the synth parts.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=374751
Great stuff Justin.. :)

Rob

Workaround fo Elektron A4 using MIDIPal to generate polyphony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... l8-f_Q6ieE

Damn, how to embed youtube vid?
Murderous duck!

I actually wrote to elektron and they've replied in 1!!!! day:
We are looking into this matter actually. If we can come up with a nice solution to this, we will implement it. In the meantime there are workarounds, as see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl8-f_Q6ieE
Murderous duck!

That's a cool work-around. I'll have to see if I can work out something similar in Max/MSP (or I may just have to order a MIDI Pal).

Having used the A4 a bit, I don't really feel the need for polyphony and honestly, I have a tough time thinking of a way it can be implemented without rethinking the whole sequencer. It would be a nice feature if they do decide to added it some how.

justin3am wrote:That's a cool work-around. I'll have to see if I can work out something similar in Max/MSP (or I may just have to order a MIDI Pal).

Having used the A4 a bit, I don't really feel the need for polyphony and honestly, I have a tough time thinking of a way it can be implemented without rethinking the whole sequencer. It would be a nice feature if they do decide to added it some how.
I believe midipal is using round robin i.e. it's 20 minutes job for pd or max/msp.

Well, I'm not fan of live sequencing, but I have crush on certain sounds from their demos especially pads and want to use it more as cord/lead sounds machine.

Also I like the fact that they have 4 cv outs, so it might be a good couple for korg ms 20 mini.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:Also I like the fact that they have 4 cv outs, so it might be a good couple for korg ms 20 mini.
maybe not as good as you imagine.. with respect pitch sequencing anyway. If i'm not mistaken the Analog 4 doesn't output pitch slides via CV, just static note triggering which you could do with midi {on the ms20 mini} anyway. I want an analog 4 for sequencing analog gear, but only when it gets past at least this limitation.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this, but that certainly seemed to be the case the last time I looked into it.

ChiTown24 wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Also I like the fact that they have 4 cv outs, so it might be a good couple for korg ms 20 mini.
maybe not as good as you imagine.. with respect pitch sequencing anyway. If i'm not mistaken the Analog 4 doesn't output pitch slides via CV
Hmm... I thought I was able to do this (I'm using the A4 to drive my Eurorack modular). I'll have to check how Note slides work on the CV and FX tracks. It's also possible to route sequences from the Synth tracks to the CV outputs but I don't know if it makes any difference.

I'll report back later tonight.

ChiTown24 wrote:
I'd be happy to be wrong on this, but that certainly seemed to be the case the last time I looked into it.
You could ask them directly as well. If it's not there yet - i think it's easier to implement within their current paradigm than monotimb/polyphonic mode, so they might release it with some firmware update.

For me slides are not important i.e. it's not a stopper at all.
Murderous duck!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”