Elektron Analog Four

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote:In OS 1.05 Note slides work on CV tracks. Yay!
:tu:

This machine just keeps getting better and better, and I reckon they're only just getting started with ideas for the OS.

Puts certain other hardware devs to shame ;)

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

justin3am wrote: In OS 1.05 Note slides work on CV tracks. Yay!
No polyphonic/monotimbral aka chord mode yet?
Murderous duck!

There is no poly mode yet, but they have added a new 5th oscillator mode, which basically sets the sub-oscillator 7 semitones lower than the first osc. I think we'll see more features like this in the future.

Poly mode I am not personally bothered about (as it was never promised) but it would be cool to have. I think the delay on this feature is Elektron figuring out the best way to achieve it while maintaining a familiar workflow. How long that will take is anyones guess.

Peace,
Andy.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for a poly mode.

I'm really excited to see what future updates may add, though I'm pleased with the A4 as is.

How do you find the synth part to program? Is it crowded with the lcd and 8 knobs?
:hug:

The buttons on the right select the track (1 - 4, FX, CV or transpose). The row of buttons below the encoders select the parameter pages. It's similar to other Elektron machines, so once you get use to it programming is quite straight forward.

There is also a "performance" page where the encoders can be set up to control the depth of various modulation parameters (up to 5 params per encoder, spread across all of the tracks).

Peace,
Andy.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:There is also a "performance" page where the encoders can be set up to control the depth of various modulation parameters (up to 5 params per encoder, spread across all of the tracks).
I find this incredibly fiddly to set up... but once I have, I rarely leave the performance page.

The display on the A4, is IMO a little too small for all the info it needs to show. It's a little annoying when I want to see a parameter value and I need to press the encoder to see it. Interestingly, the Octatrack has the same issue but it never really bothered me until I got the A4. I guess what I do with the OT doesn't require as much precision.

Anyway, I like the way parameters are arrange on the A4. It would be nice to be able to access filter envelope parameters on the filter page but it's not a deal breaker. Doing sound design on the A4 is pretty easy. The menu structure for editing sounds is not very deep, most parameters are one button press away.

All that being said... I am in love with the Analog4. It's quirky, and "limited" in some ways but I love quirky and the limitations are the kind that inspire creativity. The oscillators are incredibly flexible. The filters are deceptively simple and yet they are capable of some really neat tricks. The modulation options are great, perhaps a bit limited (I'd like more/better keytracking options) but there are many cool possibilities in there. The effects sound fantastic and the CV track is very, very well though out. I'm a happy synth-nerd. :)

Dataline (who works for Elektron) has put up a new video of a live Octatrack + Analog Four performance. Amazing skills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJEE22ZE0w

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Dataline (who works for Elektron) has put up a new video of a live Octatrack + Analog Four performance. Amazing skills:

Very nice Andy.. :-)

Holy F'ing Sh*T!!!!!!

yesterday i saw a video showing what you could do with just one voice using the stepsequencer to modulate parameters ....................................... I ......... I ......... I want one of those!!!!!! (analog four)
Is the octatrack analog four's best partner? I wouldn't be too keen using loops if going hardware..

Crackbaby wrote:Holy F'ing Sh*T!!!!!!

yesterday i saw a video showing what you could do with just one voice using the stepsequencer to modulate parameters ....................................... I ......... I ......... I want one of those!!!!!! (analog four)
Is the octatrack analog four's best partner? I wouldn't be too keen using loops if going hardware..
I was thinking about the OT but i already have the MDUW i may now save for the OT it looks pretty cool side by side :-)

I like the sound of the A4 plus PLocks etc but this just looks like too much hard work moving from one knob to another! His hands are moving so fast twiddling knobs plus why just a single audio out is a beyond me as how can you process a signal sent to internal filter separately to the internal sounds?
rob_lee wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:Dataline (who works for Elektron) has put up a new video of a live Octatrack + Analog Four performance. Amazing skills:

Very nice Andy.. :-)

stixman, what is PLocks?

Parameter Locks
Crackbaby wrote:stixman, what is PLocks?
zed

If you were to get one elektron as your first (since selling all hardware ten years back), which one would it be?

Machinedrum looks cool, i like the percussive options. The sampling seems a bit meh as you can't store the ram samples.

Octatrack has the sampling obviously, but no form of synthesis. But from the videos it looks like you can go pretty far with a simple single cycle saw.

Analog Four really isn't as limited as it may look with the sound per step and crazy modulation per step thing (which i think Octatrack shares?).

If they only were battery powered! Sitting out under a tree in the summer jamming away while dog is busy eating a bone of some poor creature/bass-complaining-neighbor :)

Genre is techno/chill-out with the occasional periods of goa

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”