Confused about using an MX200 Lexicon in conjunction with my mixer, manual links included!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I just bought a Novation Drumstation V2(Delivery tommorow), now I want to be able to run that through some effects before it hits my Fast Track Pro and gets recorded into the DAW, I have found the Lexicon MX200, now in the Lexicon manual it shows 2 x sends and 2 x returns for setting up with a mixer, however my Mixer RX1602 only has a single send jack. I have other synths going into my mixer, but I am only really concerned with putting effects onto the Drumstation sounds, however if I can add effects to any of my synths with this setup this would be a bonus.

http://www.lexiconpro.com/system/docume ... 1332367138

http://www.behringer.com/assets/RX1602_P0206_M_EN.pdf

Manual Provided above, I will only be using the stereo outs on the Drumstation for those that know the hardware

I think I've only got the choice below...

Drumstation L/R > Lexicon(IN/OUT) > Mixer(Channel IN/MAIN Out) > Fast track pro or is another way possible?

Also is this a good multi effects unit?

Cheers!

PS IT'S THE SINGLE SEND JACK ON THE MIXER REALLY THROWING ME! :oops:

I feed my D-Station through one of these: http://www.dbxpro.com/en-US/products/266xs
Then i use Cubase 7 internal FX for the rest.. Not sure about that Lexicon though but it looks nice :-)

Rob

rob_lee wrote:I feed my D-Station through one of these: http://www.dbxpro.com/en-US/products/266xs
Then i use Cubase 7 internal FX for the rest.. Not sure about that Lexicon though but it looks nice :-)

Rob
Cheers I'll take a look at it, I'm more confused about the routing as my Mixer has just a single SEND Jack. no L/R Send and L/R Return.

Otherwise It's Instrument L/R out > Effects L/R in > Effects L/R out > Mixer Channel L/R In > Mixer Main L/R Out and finally into my Fast Track Pro.

The Lexicon MX200 can do Compression/Reverb etc simultaniously, why I'm interested!

Well i need something too cause i need to hook up all my gear.. i was looking at the Motu Ultralite 3 just cause it has lots of ins/outs plus onboard FX etc.. i hate using mixers i want to see all my inputs on separate channels if i use the DAW.. with a mixer i had to feed the out to the m-audio card and bounce tracks which is a pain. If i get the Motu then all my synths etc straight into the back and available as separate channels in Cubase. I just couldn't use a mixer these days mate they're a pain :-(

Rob

rob_lee wrote:Well i need something too cause i need to hook up all my gear.. i was looking at the Motu Ultralite 3 just cause it has lots of ins/outs plus onboard FX etc.. i hate using mixers i want to see all my inputs on separate channels if i use the DAW.. with a mixer i had to feed the out to the m-audio card and bounce tracks which is a pain. If i get the Motu then all my synths etc straight into the back and available as separate channels in Cubase. I just couldn't use a mixer these days mate they're a pain :-(

Rob
I know what you're sayin, it was the cheapest solution for me, I'm happy to bounce my synth tracks to audio then add plugin effects if needed, just wondered if I could route that effects module to all the mixer channels if possible, not just the one Drumstation Channel where I really want it most.

Cheers anyhow! :)

Just use the single mono send. Paired with the stereo return (into the same rack mixer, use any available input pair) you still get lush stereo reverbs etc. The original stereo content probably isn't going to make much difference.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:Just use the single mono send. Paired with the stereo return (into the same rack mixer, use any available input pair) you still get lush stereo reverbs etc. The original stereo content probably isn't going to make much difference.
Mixer Send > Effect module IN(Mono) > Effect module OUT(L/R) > Spare Mixer L/R In

So this then can add effects to any of the mixer channels using the effect/mon volume on each mixer channel? Am I correct.. :oops:

Just try it...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I have various synths connected to RX1602.

Synths take RX1602 inputs channel 1 - 14
RX1602 channel 15-16 i keep free for using as MX200 stereo return
output from RX1602 goes into main mixer

This is the DUAL FX method using MX200 where 1st FX is feed into 2nd FX.
www.xsynth.com - Sound Synthesis with Vintage flavour

BertKoor wrote:Just try it...
I don't own the Lexicon yet!

This is why the questions, cheers anyhow!

:wink:

mkastrup wrote:I have various synths connected to RX1602.

Synths take RX1602 inputs channel 1 - 14
RX1602 channel 15-16 i keep free for using as MX200 stereo return
output from RX1602 goes into main mixer

This is the DUAL FX method using MX200 where 1st FX is feed into 2nd FX.
wow, exactly same setup, so this will work!

cheers... :D

As BertKoor says, it's no problem to use a mono send. It's the way it used to be for almost all h/w FX units not that long ago. Stereo sends are a nice luxury, but not one that's worth using up an extra channel for if you don't already have stereo sends on your mixer. Very few budget mixers will be set up for true stereo sends. In fact you can spend quite a large amount on quality mixers before you get to having stereo sends.

In terms of your mix, it'll make almost no difference. The pseudo stereo returns from the Lexicon are far more important than the sends.

I used to use 24 channel inline mixers (so effectively 48 channels), which meant I had channels coming out of my ears. And I never once bothered setting it up for stereo sends (which can be done relatively easily). Mono in/stereo out works well for even quite flashy FX units.

Stereo is over-rated. By that I mean I regularly read of people here who have everything stereo in their DAW - more channels means more difficulty with your mixing. THere are plenty of instruments that are far more easily mixed in mono. One of my first things when I set up a new song is to get rid of most stereo channels on the default setup and replace them with mono ones.

I have 4 h/w FX units, 2 of which have stereo in capability. One of them is 4 channel in/out and modular, which gives all manner of fantastical stereo possibilities, yet I use all of them with simple mono sends. I get more mixing and creative potential by using its four different processors individually than by using up all the channels with stereo.

Sorry for the waffle, but forget stereo sends. You don't need them.

kritikon wrote:As BertKoor says, blah, blah waffle
Yes cheers for that - I was mainly confused at a single send jack when everything else is set up to be stereo on all other hardware. that explains it all.

thankyou!

What everyone else is saying... just use a mono send. If you really want to use the stereo (or if you just want to try it to see how the sound differs) you can always use two sends. I'm guessing your mixer has more than one send available. :)

breakmixer wrote: Mixer Send > Effect module IN(Mono) > Effect module OUT(L/R) > Spare Mixer L/R In

So this then can add effects to any of the mixer channels using the effect/mon volume on each mixer channel? Am I correct.. :oops:
You are correct. It's likely one of the Lexicons two inputs will be marked as mono (usually the left). I noticed the Aux sends on your mixer are pre-fade, which is not ideal for FX sends, but there is a way to change them to post-fade. Details in the manual. ;)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”