Midi guitar

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a guitar player but now use a MIDI keyboard. Does anyone use or know of a midi guitar where you can play like a guitar and that's what you are sending and hearing. I think Fishman has a "triple play" coming out.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott

The Triple Play sounds like it will be great, but has been a really long time coming.
There is of course the Roland 13 pin pickups that you can mount on any guitar, but it does not output MIDI-you still need either one of their synths, and/or something to convert it to MIDI.
Godin makes guitars with 13 pin out as well.

Wait for the Triple Play. It's coming early next month, and will be far better than any Roland system.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriplePlayPU

How's the latency, do you think? First it has to go over wi-fi, then through your audio interface.
Any idea if the USB dongle is necessary with iPad? Cause that would be a problem for those using any kind of audio interface.

Wish someone could just make a pickup that spit out plain old MIDI through a MIDI cable, so you could go straight into a hardware synth OR computer...
Last edited by Aural Chaos on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

there's a midi guitar plugin (VST and iOS, I think) from JamOrigin. PC version is currently at beta, but you can test it at your pc with no charge, and if it works for you, then you can buy it. Since you play guitar, maybe a good choice for you
At other hand, there's was a RockBand guitar (yes, the game) which actually was a MIDI controller, a "fender mustang" or something, guitar. 102 "keys", 6 strings, 2 playing mode. Funny, but tricky to use.

If you want to get real about midi the first thing you need to do is forget the guitar.

I realize 1500 is a lot to drop on an instrument
http://www.starrlabs.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=74

But ztars blow away any competitor in any price range. Fast as if not faster then most keyboards/electronic drums. 1 millisecond standard midi protocol not 30, 40, 50. No errors no ghost notes no drop outs and a hell of a lot more powerful layout/design for getting the most of midi.

Also nothing to install, you don't have to buy a guitar that can handle the singal you don't have to buy special pickups you don't have to buy a GR. USB to computer... your good. midi out to standalone workstation your good.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

That looks nice, didn't realize they made instruments with actual guitar strings on 'em....

Brian Moore makes MIDI guitars that use USB rather than 13-pin.

I'm personally not a fan of the Starr instruments. Too cheap feeling.

I've demo'd the Jam origin, and it shows promise.

G

siriusbliss wrote:Brian Moore makes MIDI guitars that use USB rather than 13-pin.

G
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the USB just audio?
The iGuitar has 13 pin as well as USB.

tapper mike wrote:If you want to get real about midi the first thing you need to do is forget the guitar.

I realize 1500 is a lot to drop on an instrument
http://www.starrlabs.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=74

But ztars blow away any competitor in any price range. Fast as if not faster then most keyboards/electronic drums. 1 millisecond standard midi protocol not 30, 40, 50. No errors no ghost notes no drop outs and a hell of a lot more powerful layout/design for getting the most of midi.

Also nothing to install, you don't have to buy a guitar that can handle the singal you don't have to buy special pickups you don't have to buy a GR. USB to computer... your good. midi out to standalone workstation your good.
The Fishman is only $400, and tracks far better than any Roland system (by all accounts of those that've used it so far), and still allows for guitar output. There's a significant difference between $400 and $1500.

Perhaps an in-between alternative is the Starr Labs Baby-Z, which is now down to $600.

Aural Chaos wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:Brian Moore makes MIDI guitars that use USB rather than 13-pin.

G
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the USB just audio?
The iGuitar has 13 pin as well as USB.
Yes, I guess I was thinking of their PC guitar, which apparently is still in development.
I may be selling my 13-pin Custom Brian Moore guitar soon. Great tracking.

G

polaris20 wrote: Perhaps an in-between alternative is the Starr Labs Baby-Z, which is now down to $600.
My main axe. Usually I like the Z6 for the 24 frets. But since I've done my little experiment I've fallen in love with the baby all over again.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Probably not exactly whatcha looking for, but take a look at YouRock guitar even if just for the sake of it.
What better religion than music itself?

polaris20 wrote:Wait for the Triple Play. It's coming early next month, and will be far better than any Roland system.

I looked at the pictures - and it seems to me there isn't a separate pickup for each string, just a blade you put on body, under strings.

Would it really track better than a system that has one pickup for each string?

I mean it's a much more complicated task to do polyphonic pitch tracking.
Odds are bad as I see it.

lfm wrote:
polaris20 wrote:Wait for the Triple Play. It's coming early next month, and will be far better than any Roland system.

I looked at the pictures - and it seems to me there isn't a separate pickup for each string, just a blade you put on body, under strings.

Would it really track better than a system that has one pickup for each string?

I mean it's a much more complicated task to do polyphonic pitch tracking.
Odds are bad as I see it.
Your eyes deceive you. There are 6 separate pickups.

And it's certainly better than the MIDI Guitar plugin, which has horrendous latency. The iOS app is even worse, to the point where I want my money back.

The YRG Gen2 is only slightly better than the Gen1, and it's still built for crap. A toy, nothing more.

To me, there are only two options: Fishman Triple Play, or Baby-Z (or higher). The latter is only $200 more than the FTP, and is every bit as accurate and low latency as a keyboard controller.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”