Ultranova 37 key synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kriminal wrote:There is a Nova desktop on ebay now ( currently £77) but its untested :?
It went for £116 and i forgot about it :x

werp wrote:
Kriminal wrote:How is the Ulranova Rob? Would you recommend it over the Gaia?
I have both, i prefer the Roland even though I love the 'tweak' and 'touch' modes offered by the Novation.
I guess I prefer knobs and faders and the three layers over digital deep diving.
:-)
i like the sound of the Gaia and really like the layout...i just got a Venom tho, might be too much similarity to bother getting either...?

Had the GAIA for a few months . Hands down one of the best layouts on any VA synth. It was a purposeful approach to avoid the screen all together (and thus menu diving as well).

That said, as GREAT of a learning tool it was for learning synthesis, the sound wasn't for me.

I am surprised no one has tried to mod out the filter on it as it might change it to a different beast all together.

But yea, a pleasure to program and it has a 3rd party ARP editor program out there. Possibly does sound editing as well?? Don't recall so TIWAGOS and salt is very bad for you BTW :D ...

The Ultranova seems to have better sonic possibilities. Gaia only has 1 LFO....need to get some hands on action with the Ultra.

Kriminal wrote:The Ultranova seems to have better sonic possibilities. Gaia only has 1 LFO....need to get some hands on action with the Ultra.
The Ultranova comes with a VST editor that I haven't installed yet. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. The VST doesn't allow audio, so Line out into the desk for that.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Im not fussed about DAW integration, i'd only use it to make patches. The synths are used live mostly.

Kriminal wrote:Im not fussed about DAW integration, i'd only use it to make patches. The synths are used live mostly.
Iv'e got 2 on Ebay now Dave.. Black/Silver and Black/White. The latter is brand new unused. I just got me another Supernova keyboard and a TI Desktop so selling these.

£400 each mate the paint jobs cost half that again, email me if interested on 19hrs to go on the listing :-)

Rob

rob_lee wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Im not fussed about DAW integration, i'd only use it to make patches. The synths are used live mostly.
Iv'e got 2 on Ebay now Dave.. Black/Silver and Black/White. The latter is brand new unused. I just got me another Supernova keyboard and a TI Desktop so selling these.

£400 each mate the paint jobs cost half that again, email me if interested on 19hrs to go on the listing :-)

Rob
Rob, those two synths are absolutely beautiful in the black and white versions, but I have to ask since you were pretty much so impressed to buy two and customize them plus think about getting the mini to go with the two Ultras, isn't the lack of Unison and multitimbral features causing the sale a little like throwing the baby out with the bathwater? I mean, they are great sounding synths still, right?

Just curious because I was looking at the mininova as a future purchase. I always did like the Nova, Supernova, and Supernova II for their mass of tweakable control and multi functions, but I thought the Ultra and Mini versions of these looked very playable still with good live tweaking possibilities.

How much of the sounds of the Ultra can be recreated on the Supernova?
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:I have to ask since you were pretty much so impressed to buy two and customize them plus think about getting the mini to go with the two Ultras, isn't the lack of Unison and multitimbral features causing the sale a little like throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

How much of the sounds of the Ultra can be recreated on the Supernova?
The lack of the Unison Spread function pretty much pissed me off mate. The sound of these are great indeed (Pads etc) but they just have to go now. The vst editor is crashing constantly too. The Supernova and Nova XL i have are more to my liking. It's just personal taste though.
Also yeah these are looking great too.. i was gonna keep one of them just for show lol but iv'e been shopping and need to sell :-)

IMO the Ultra Nova's sound is great BUT the old stuff i.e Supernova sounds better to me personally mate.

Rob

Thanks for the reply. I just bought a bunch of gear off eBay in the last few months and saw a few of the Nova and Suprnovas come up for sale for really good prices. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for a good used Supernova then. I just wish more companies would stick to having the controls right on the surface and not rely on some VST editor. Particularly with VA's. at that point, if you can't really tweak the knobs so much, you might as well go with an actual vst. Bring back tactile control of all or almost all parameters!

Why Novation stepped backward by leaving out Unison and some multitimbral ability really doesn't make much sense. It can't cost that much more.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:
Why Novation stepped backward by leaving out Unison and some multitimbral ability really doesn't make much sense. It can't cost that much more.
My thoughts too :-(

Anyways i still love the Novation sound but i felt let down by that feature being left out here. With the older Novas and Supernovas the sound is just right for me. All parts are multi and retain their fx on each part with no loss.. for the price of an Ultra Nova i'd go for a used 24/36 voice version keyboard of the Nova/Supernova everytime. :-)

Rob

Don't know what is the appropriate thread, so i'll just post it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwNlqAz9HTA

Might be of interest for owners of the Ultra-/Mininova. :)

Thanks for posting that, chk071. I may have to check that out... and make a 1:1 comparison!
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Nice. :)

Clydewinder wrote:I picked up an Ultranova a few weeks ago and LOVE it... tried out the Gaia in store as well but I thought the key action on the Ultranova was far superior. I wasn't even planning to really buy anything that day but after playing with it in guitar center for an hour there was no way I was leaving without it.
Haven't used it with a computer at all, I just programmed a bunch of patches and have been using it for live performance ( loud rock & roll band ). Have been getting many compliments after shows about the sound of it and I couldn't be happier with it. I guess the way it programs and plays just "clicks" with the way my brain works.
I understand this.

I went to the music shop to try/buy and moog minitaur and roland gaia.

Spent 5 minutes with minitaur and reached its limits quick. Tried the slim phatty next to it and was blown away!

Next went on to try the Gaia, couldn't change the patch lol (I have been using hardware/software synths for over 15 years too)! I tweeked the filter a bit and didn't like the sound or feel of the knob. Next onto the ultranova and was straight in to the presets and liked the sound. The sales guy and myself programmed a basic supersaw patch in a couple of minutes and I thought the ultranova was quick to edit.

So, I left with a slim phatty and ultranova and have spent the last few days programming them and LOVE THEM! There are ways around the unison spread (or lack thereof) with the pan-mod, osc drift, lfos and osc density and detune etc... so you can get some big trance leads out of the ultranova (not the moog though, obviously) and the other digital sounds are great.

:)

P.S, I don't program with the vst as I think the synth is very easy and quick to program.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”