Ultranova 37 key synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm almost ready to buy one of these soon, but reading about the problems with the vst editor in Studio One has made me a bit wary.

Instant freeze means it doesn't work at all. Has anyone tested it on any other host, like for example, Live, or Studio One 32 bit.

I guess that without the vst editor, you use the 8 knobs to tweak everything. I want to know how that feels in use, with the menu diving and going back-and-forth.

More than it being a synth, I really like the idea of 37 keys (perfect for travelling) and automap support.

maschinelf wrote:I'm almost ready to buy one of these soon, but reading about the problems with the vst editor in Studio One has made me a bit wary.

Instant freeze means it doesn't work at all. Has anyone tested it on any other host, like for example, Live, or Studio One 32 bit.

I guess that without the vst editor, you use the 8 knobs to tweak everything. I want to know how that feels in use, with the menu diving and going back-and-forth.

More than it being a synth, I really like the idea of 37 keys (perfect for travelling) and automap support.
VST rock solid Cubase 5 - not a glitch!

breakmixer wrote:
It works in Cubase 7 until i try and select a different wave form.. the wavetables are selectable it's the basic waves that freeze the plugin.. :-(

Rob

rob_lee wrote:
breakmixer wrote:
It works in Cubase 7 until i try and select a different wave form.. the wavetables are selectable it's the basic waves that freeze the plugin.. :-(

Rob
I sold my Ultranova over a month ago and never had a particular problem with choosing any waveforms, analog or wavetables. I found it the most reliable vst/hardware configuration ever - apart from the automap switching between that and my Remote Zero SL MKII in cubase, that was annoying, I wanted the remote zero as my automap controller. I sold the synth because of it's sound(digital), I didn't find it 'analog' sounding, which is why I bought it as a virtual analog, it is being replaced by a Prophet 08 v.soon(sold my Miniak too).

Points...

I found it a problem to use it powered by USB, I could hear the synth computing through the speakers, changing it to the power adapter option stopped that. Also the usb port used was using too much of something(bandwidth???!!!), pluging the usb(for midi only) into a port at the back of my desktop pc solved the problem.

Could it be a bandwidth issue, if you have usb ports at the back and front of your pc try using the opposite back or front. It may fix your problem.

So it does work, except for the waveform selection which causes instant freeze in some cases. Rob, you said it works in Cubase 7, but what about Studio One which you'd mentioned before. I use studio One on a mac, so would really like to know this.

Also, how do those who own it feel it is in use, when not using the editor? Its completely impossible to demo it where I live, thanks.

i used the ultranova vst ui under reaper and win7 (64bit). i can confirm that waveform selection froze the daw and the vst ui but the synth still worked fine.
all other function on the vst ui worked fine, without crash.

strayboom wrote:i used the ultranova vst ui under reaper and win7 (64bit). i can confirm that waveform selection froze the daw and the vst ui but the synth still worked fine.
all other function on the vst ui worked fine, without crash.
Thank you mate so i'm not going crazy after all. I hope someone from Novation can come in on this thread and confirm it too.

1. Open the vst editor in Cubase 7 x64 or Studio One V2 x64
2. Works perfect right up until you try and select a wave form. As soon as you use the mouse wheel or right click then the editor freezes.
3. Close the editor
4. Open a new instance
5. Boom i now have a blank GUI :(

So, all works fine until you try and select a waveform. The internal wave table selection does not freeze the plugin it's just the top selection/top line where the basic wave forms are situated. This would be the best if fixed..

Thanks

Rob

How is the Ulranova Rob? Would you recommend it over the Gaia?

Kriminal wrote:How is the Ulranova Rob? Would you recommend it over the Gaia?
I don't have the Gaia Dave so i wouldn't know mate.. the lack of the Unison Spread on the UN is a FAIL for me.. i just use it for pads and fx now.. My NOVA 2 XL 36 Voice blows all over this thing.. I must say that the vst editor though is very nice Dave if it wouldn't crash all the time..

Save your money and get an old Nova or Supernova keyboard mate.

Rob

Cheers Rob. The Supernove has lots of knobs as i recall, i'll look into that.

Kriminal wrote:Cheers Rob. The Supernove has lots of knobs as i recall, i'll look into that.
Go for the older stuff Dave, even a Nova Desktop mate. These sound great and are multi-timbral.. mine is 6 part but the Supernovas are 8.. i'm gonna bid on a mint one this week on Ebay 61 key version.. will be selling my Ultra Novas though.. the lack of Unison Spread bugs me big time.. the sound phases when applying Unison etc.. shame cause all other Novation stuff is amazing..

I have 2 custom Ultra Novas for sale now mate but i'd recommend the old gear i mentioned.. they have editors too mate.

Rob

I had a quick look about, keyboard versions are going for silly money. I mighr test the Ultra at the shop, i know they have it and a Gaia. Last time i went they a couple of Nivations but didnt look at those so not sure what they were. Just need some spare time.

Kriminal wrote:How is the Ulranova Rob? Would you recommend it over the Gaia?
I have both, i prefer the Roland even though I love the 'tweak' and 'touch' modes offered by the Novation.
I guess I prefer knobs and faders and the three layers over digital deep diving.
:-)
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

There is a Nova desktop on ebay now ( currently £77) but its untested :?

I picked up an Ultranova a few weeks ago and LOVE it... tried out the Gaia in store as well but I thought the key action on the Ultranova was far superior. I wasn't even planning to really buy anything that day but after playing with it in guitar center for an hour there was no way I was leaving without it.
Haven't used it with a computer at all, I just programmed a bunch of patches and have been using it for live performance ( loud rock & roll band ). Have been getting many compliments after shows about the sound of it and I couldn't be happier with it. I guess the way it programs and plays just "clicks" with the way my brain works.
I'm the best you can get, have you guessed me yet? I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”