Korg volca - 3 small analog groove boxes

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleRobot Volca-X

still havent got my hands on one yet to try.... im tempted by the 303 type emu, but not convinced

also tempted by the akai one, but no demos yet....

lectrixboogaloo wrote:Surely I am not the only one who thinks these volcas (while kinda geez whiz neat-o, sure)... sound cheap and crappy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arGzElkDH_Q?t=16s

Uncle E wrote:
lectrixboogaloo wrote:Surely I am not the only one who thinks these volcas (while kinda geez whiz neat-o, sure)... sound cheap and crappy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arGzElkDH_Q?t=16s
well, that didn't sound too bad, really...

Kriminal wrote:still havent got my hands on one yet to try.... im tempted by the 303 type emu, but not convinced

idem. a friend reports that they are 'a bit rolf harris'.

but they seem pretty classic to me. lot better than a fooken
stylophone.

i think: forget seeing that as a straight 303 emu, it won't be,
no accent, but good for similar type things, and the 3 way
thing looks fun. but why only 8 pattern memories?(is it?)
that's got to be limiting. but if it sounds good, why not,
*and mod the s**t out of it*(so there'll be lots of broken ones
floating around before long too)

it can produce some nice and convincig acid sounds, that's for sure, but yeh - it's not by any means a 303 emu, filter sounds different and there are other differencies. one thing though - you have 3 oscs there, so this can be taken to advantage eg using one of the osc to simulate accents by stacking additional note where the accent is intended to be.

and I guess theres at least one advantage over Roland's new machine(s) - these are analogue ;)

lectrixboogaloo wrote:well, that didn't sound too bad, really...
Yeah, I love that video. I personally think the Volca Bass sounds even better.

Johnny! wrote:it can produce some nice and convincig acid sounds, that's for sure, but yeh - it's not by any means a 303 emu, filter sounds different and there are other differencies.
All true. With filters wide open, though, the Volca Bass and 303 do sound quite similar, they both have that snap that I haven't heard in other synths. That's one of my favorite 303 sounds.

on the subject of acid:
the Korg MS10 has a different kind of take on an acid sound, more of
a dark techno thing, an atmosphere, - so i've regretted selling that,
and was curious whether the Bass had the MS filter or same as the Keys 700s filter.

mztk wrote:on the subject of acid:
the Korg MS10 has a different kind of take on an acid sound, more of
a dark techno thing, an atmosphere, - so i've regretted selling that,
and was curious whether the Bass had the MS filter or same as the Keys 700s filter.
700 filter. Get an MS-20 Mini or use DIVA for that sound.

ok.

the Bass seems to be about something different:
getting different tones to pop up in the same sequence.
can it automate? more than just one control per patch,
like on the electribes? eg: does it do a parameter per
seq'line? (if i've understood that correctly)
Last edited by mztk on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I did say 303 type emu :wink:

Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

set of 3 incoming... got a decent price on some b-stock, with full 3 yr warranty. I've come to terms with the lack of on-board swing which was a buzzkill for me - though it can be achieved through the sync jack, with either the ios korg freebie 'synckontrol', expert sleepers stuff, or indeed your own tick track I imagine... e.g I drive the sequencers on my sh-101s with an elektron MD like this, I assume it will work for the volcas in a similar way.

will definitely be modding these, seems all the mod attention has been devoted to the beats model so far...and rightly so, individual outs iz serius bizness.

incredible bang for buck <---- lets hope I still think that after a couple of weeks of usage.

Is it possible to synthesise drum sounds on the Keys or Bass? Also I see the Bass has a 3 part sequencer. Does this make it effectively multi-timbral?

I'm asking because I'd like to purchase one of these and have it doubling duties to produce drums , bass, and possibly keys.
*Ok, I just saw the 3 part sequencer is for unison lines and does not make it multi-timbral.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”