New Arturia keylab

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KeyLab MkII

Finally a controller designed for soft synth tweaking:

MAIN FEATURES:
All Metal construction
MIDI Control Center software for creating your own presets
Includes Analog Lab with 5000 synth sounds
1:1 control of Analog Lab software.
All presets are carefully selected from the Arturia Classic Synths (mini V, Modular V, CS-80V, ARP 2600 V, Prophet V, Prophet VS, SEM V and Jupiter-8V) and from Wurlitzer V, our recreation of the classic 200A electric piano. These TAE® powered sounds offer unparalleled audio quality.
Straightforward editing, with a complete array of parameters for tweaking sounds, directly assigned to the controls of the Keylab

Hardware Specifications :
Keyboard : 25 semi weighted keys with velocity and aftertouch.
Controllers : 2 clickable encoders, 11 encoders, 9 sliders, Pitch bend and Mod Wheel, 6 transport switches, 15 control buttons, octave up/down buttons
Connectors : MIDI in & out, USB, Sustain pedal, Expression pedal, Aux footswitch, Breath controller inputs
High quality aluminum and wooden construction
General purpose universal MIDI controller

Keyboard : 49 semi weighted keys with velocity and aftertouch
Controllers : 2 clickable encoders, 11 encoders, 9 sliders, 13 switches, 6 transport switches, 1 modulation wheel, 1 pitch bend wheel, 16 touch and pressure-sensitive pads
Connectors : MIDI in & out, USB, Sustain pedal, Expression pedal, Aux footswitch, Breath controller inputs
Ultra thin 49 keys with full action effect and velocity sensitivity
32 digits LCD screen
Functions as an universal MIDI controller

Keyboard : 61 semi weighted keys with velocity and aftertouch
Controllers : 2 clickable encoders, 11 encoders, 9 sliders, 13 switches, 6 transport switches, 1 modulation wheel, 1 pitch bend wheel, 16 touch and pressure-sensitive pads
Ultra thin 61 keys with full action effect and velocity sensitivity
32 digits LCD screen
Functions as an universal MIDI controller

Well they have many many controls, honestly I will stil pick the minilab since it's small size, price and features are more atractive, but this new ones offer a lot for synth tweakers.
dedication to flying

Been on the hunt for a quality keyboard controller, I'm sick of being surrounded by cheap plastic (oxygen v2 & 61) :). These keylabs seem perfect for me....now will it be 25 or 49?

Arturia's products, both hardware and software are outstanding. Their TAE technology helps create great analog sounds that are rich and rival many hardware synths. Their hardware is also impressive and robust. KeyLab looks like it needs a home in my studio and my mobile miscomings.
One man's irritating 60 cycle hum is another man's artistic design element (not design elephant!)

Anyone own one of these? How does the keyboard feel/action compare to something like the Novation Remote series or the AKAI MPK? How does the KeyLab 61 differ from the The Laboratory 61?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

I saw this in DV247 the other day (when I ended up jut buying a Monotron!). I've been looking for a well-built 25 key controller so I can do my synth sound design out of the studio during the summer months.

Looks like a very nice bit of kit. Robust and also attractive (yeah, I know, but it DOES work for me). Key, knob and slider action seemed fine to me. Looks a good option.

Anyone with a Keylab yet? Is it good or bad?
I'm really considering the 61.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

The price seems alright. As much as the Novation Impulse, but more drum pads. I guess quality wise it plays in the same league. Here's a video from Musikmesse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPafk2hCxFQ

Not much more to find on YouTube about these.

Yeah I've seen all the messe videos.
Looking for someone who owns one.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

The controller featureset looks complete, but the most important feature in any keyboard controller is the type / quality of aftertouch.

Its not too hard these days to supplement a MIDI Keyboard controller with a Korg Padkontrol, nanopad or knob box like the Novation Remote. I would like to start seeing more things like Polyphonic Aftertouch and 88-key semiweighted keybeds, than all these knobs and faders.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Polyphonic aftertouch (on a per note basis) is often related to the plugin/environment that is the source of sound generation. Most garden variety plugins as well as hosts don't support it on a per individual note basis. There is no point in having it on the controller end and then not being able to fully realize it on the receiving end.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

This is a controller I am very interested in. The ones I've tried over the months just don't have the feel I'm wanting. Arturia seems to have solidly built keyboards, so I'm hoping this one will be the one. I'm wanting to replace my Korg 01/wfd with a lighter and dedicated keybard controller.

Anyone know the difference btw the Keylab and the Analog Laboratory? Especially when it comes to keyboard and aftertouch quality.

I know that there are different software bundled with the keyboards, and I already have the entire V Collection - so has anyone bought the keyboard w/o the software?

All the best
G

Been looking out for this controller for a while now. Seems it may be a nice investment. I'll go for the 49 key version, suits me perfect. Expected arrival is at the end of the month according to the place i get my stuff here.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/controller-k ... tAodqgUAjw

Looking forward to getting this one :-)

Rob

Interzone wrote:Anyone know the difference btw the Keylab and the Analog Laboratory? Especially when it comes to keyboard and aftertouch quality.

I know that there are different software bundled with the keyboards, and I already have the entire V Collection - so has anyone bought the keyboard w/o the software?

All the best
G
Hey man! The Analog Laboratory is pretty old and the Keys aren't semi-weighted. The keys feels for me too light. But the Keylab is like an "updated" hardware. The keys are semi-weighted and feels definitely better than the one from the laboratory. So go for the keylab! I'm going for the Keylab 25. Dont need any pads :)

A lot of people talk about how fantastic the keys are on this controller, but to me they feel very spring-loaded. They're a lot like the ones on the E-mu Xboard. Mind you, the keylab wasn't attached to any computer or module, so I couldn't test out how it handled sounds.

I'd say the best keys out there in current MIDI controllers would be the SL MKII keys (if you're after all purpose keys; obviously, if you're in the market for hammer-action only, then there are better).

The keylab looks good in terms of its controls and their layout, though. They felt smooth and solid in store. It's easy to get a sense of how reliable/accurate/expressive a synth is in a music shop, but much harder with MIDI controllers, as they don't have them properly hooked up. The keylab certainly isn't the cheapest/worst thing out there; I'll give it that.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”