Trim down Windows 8 ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ashe37 wrote:or use win 8.1 when it becomes available.
Does 8.1 have a lower background footprint?
There's 8.1 Spring coming also in May.
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

4damind wrote:
Gonga wrote:I've read experts from PCWorld say that setting to background tasks became unnecessary after XP.
Afaik this option gives a bit higher priority how this background tasks will be handled by the OS. Because plug-ins running in a own thread this was always the recommendation from the DAW companies.
Yes, but only for XP. For 7 and 8 this is no longer necessary.

Id like to Trim down my Windows 7 , Ive done system clean up etc etc and for some reason is eating up 33 GB , seems like the long you have Windows installed the more space it likes to eat .

partly because it stores uninstallation data for many if not all windows patches unless you specifically tell it not to. XP does this too.

Wonder whether my advice worth a penny? Check my music at Soundcloud and decide for yourself.
re:vibe and Loki Fuego @ Soundcloud

except, most of them sound like things recycled from XP. For instance, if you have anything better than four year old onboard intel graphics, having visual effects on in Win7 makes almost no impact on your CPU usage, because its all happening on the graphics card. and kep in mind that optimizing for background processes means yes your audio drivers get more CPU BUT your DAW gets less (priority, i know, but still)

"turn off unnecessary background processes" - duh. You can actually shut this stuff down when unneeded.

"Turn off your network ports"- good luck with that one, especially since my DAW at this point consists of two networked computers. And the laptop has to serve other purposes which require it to have network access. Kinda hard to pull video clips off the server to add sounds when the LAN is off.

Unless you but a machine made from complete crap components,, or are running an underpowered old machine, most of this stuff will make exactly jack difference in your machine's performance. We're talking-maybe- a couple instances of RXC in DAWBench. A lot of time, some of these differences could be made by, for instance, replacing a four year old hard drive.

This may be OT but things they are missing:

Make sure all the drives in your machine are SATA including your DVD drive. The nasty legacy ATA drivers that many PATA ports on motherboards are using can... well, just get rid of the drives. in most cases, you're looking at $20 for a replacement.

Get a discrete graphics card or make sure your machine has one. otherwise, part of the memory bandwidth between your CPU and main memory is being used by the GPU portion.

As stated earlier, that four year old 1 Tb HDD that uses four platters to get that capacity? yeah, needs to go. Not only is a newer drive likely to be *faster*, but it will use less power.

The script looks very promissing ! THx ! :)
Would it work to disable all parameters with WIFI in it? Because I need wifi.

UPDATE: found it ! http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/wi ... -5/#p15743

Here are all the latest with w8.1 also
http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/computer-setup/
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

Forget XP, it's obsolete now.
How to speed up windows 8 (and not only - it's also vista and 7)? Just buy a SSD drive (bigger=better :) ).

There's nothing better for older computers - believe me (i work as computer technician an sysadmin for over 10 years :) ).

fedexnman wrote:Id like to Trim down my Windows 7 , Ive done system clean up etc etc and for some reason is eating up 33 GB , seems like the long you have Windows installed the more space it likes to eat .
The winsxs folder is a space stealer. On my laptop it takes up 11,5GB

Even though it doens't contain that size of files, Microsoft has "locked down" that space to have it for Windows 7. A bit annoying, when I running out of HDD space.

That sxs folder is Microsoft's solution to DLL hell. Kinda like how the registry was Microsoft's solution to... uh...um... Anyway, if you delete the content, you'll break the OS installation. Same for uninstalling patches and duplicate redistributable packages. Windows, by its very architecture, is self wrecking; the longer you have it installed, the bigger and slower it gets. You can thank all that backwards compatibility and the over-engineering ethos of Microsoft corporate culture. Remember this, Mac users, when you complain about Apple's OS releases removing backwards compatibility...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Was very thankful for classic shell after experiencing the horror of that bloated casual app piece of crap GUI.
Have to second the quick boot times. That at least is commendable.
It's really not all that bad. You bitch and moan for a while, then you forget about it.

Can't be of help with optimization, sorry. If there's anything big that can be done easily i'm all ears.
Never noticed worse performance on sequencers than on win7 tho.

Probably old story to most, but so far the most effective (safe) way I've found to regain some HD space in Win8 is to run "Clean up system files" from time to time, escpecially when Win is set to auto-update, as this gets rid of the update leftovers.

godly wrote:ow guys, I think that's a mistake.
Check the speed improvements and stability from 8 !
http://www.speedupmypcfree.com/blog/win ... rformance/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406668,00.asp
Virtually none of the improvements in Windows 8 have any bearing on DAW performance, which is measured as the extent to which you can push your PC to its DSP limits before audio starts dropping out. In order to see any improvement at all over Windows 7 you need to be on a PC with the latest chipsets and CPU, and even then it's a 2% performance improvement at best.

It's a fine OS if you can live with its UI, and if your applications and devices are compatible with it. Even though I've used and developed for it every day at work since the first developer releases, I've actually had to uninstall it on four of my personal computers due to incompatibilities with older games and applications, and a couple of my devices. (And I'm convinced that UEFI and GPT exist for no other reason than to make it a pain in the butt to install Windows 7 on a new computer.)

(Just bought a Windows 8-based tablet the other day though, and Win 8 is absolutely a joy to use on that thing. A lot more fun than an iPad... just wish the Windows app store had even a FRACTION of the great apps you can get on iOS.)

Jace-BeOS wrote:That sxs folder is Microsoft's solution to DLL hell. Kinda like how the registry was Microsoft's solution to... uh...um... Anyway, if you delete the content, you'll break the OS installation.
But it will not get smaller if you delete stuff inside, because the space of the folder, is locked down by Microsoft:
The winsxs directory is thought to be much larger than it actually is. The directory contains mostly "hard links" to files that exist elsewhere. DIR and Explorer are not aware of the difference between an actual file and a hard link to a file, and so may count the same file several times, adding incorrectly to the perceived disk usage. The disk usage reported by these two programs is as if each hard link is an actual file.
BTW, DLL hell, that term is better to use when trying to install applications on Linux while offline :help:

Numanoid wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:That sxs folder is Microsoft's solution to DLL hell. Kinda like how the registry was Microsoft's solution to... uh...um... Anyway, if you delete the content, you'll break the OS installation.
But it will not get smaller if you delete stuff inside, because the space of the folder, is locked down by Microsoft:
The winsxs directory is thought to be much larger than it actually is. The directory contains mostly "hard links" to files that exist elsewhere. DIR and Explorer are not aware of the difference between an actual file and a hard link to a file, and so may count the same file several times, adding incorrectly to the perceived disk usage. The disk usage reported by these two programs is as if each hard link is an actual file.
BTW, DLL hell, that term is better to use when trying to install applications on Linux while offline :help:
Yeah. i campaigned for some time (when i was a BeOS community guy) to abolish the use of third party libraries. That means, if some app needs to be installed, the ONLY stuff it can put on the computer is in its own folder (preferably an app package like Apple does today, but that wasn't on the radar at that time). i wanted to totally outlaw 3rd party libs. i ran into constant geek nonsense about saving drive space, reusing code, etc, which the entire history of computing has shown was 1. a workaround to old tech limits, and 2. a bad idea for all of us in the end. [shrug] i go back to that community's prime project (Haiku-OS.org) now and then to see how things are going and it's becoming more Linux by the year. [sheds a tear] :cry:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”