Show Me Your Guitar Pedalboard (or talk about favourites/ give reviews/show your wish list)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thinking about setting up a pedal board and I thought it couldn't hurt to read or see what pedals are rocking kvrian's worlds.

This where I'm at:

TC Electronic Polytune

MXR Smartgate

MXR Custom Comp

Jim Dunlop 535Q Wah Pedal

Wampler Plextortion

T-Rex Moeller 2

Electro Harmonic Little Big Muff

MXR Phase 90

TC Electronic Flashback Delay

TC Electronic Corona Chorus

Voodoo Lab Tremolo
Last edited by morelia on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

I have a line 6 M-13 ... but always liked the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver as an individual pedal.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Well I ditched the pedals and got a TC Nova System. Still attach a Bad Monkey which is a cheap TS clone. I never hung with the booteek tone snob crowd, I just wanted something that was good sound/value.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

My favorite fuzz has always been the Univox Super Fuzz. It sounds great on guitar or bass (no loss of low frequencies). You could get ripped off buying a beatup original on eBay for $600+ or get a Wattson Classic with the exact same circuitry and sound for a third the price.

my favorite is an OD pedal I built from a kit from General Guitar Gadgets, it's a TS clone with some mods including a choice of clippers, an option to lift one set of clippers, a 1 meg drive pot and a few other minor changes to a couple of caps, resistors and some op amp choices.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

+1 for the Bad Monkey. It's cheap and sounds v. nice.

My pedals are centered around a Blackstart HT-Dual, which is great. I put either a VHT V-Drive or EHX LPB-1 before it and a Cool Cat Chorus after.

The VHT V-Drive is very flexible but can be too tweaksome sometimes and you get lost in it. Hence the LPB-1 which I love for it's simplicity and light enhancing of the guitar sound. The Cool Cat Chorus is great, and the cheap price is a bonus.

The only other pedal I'd recommend it the GarageTone Chainsaw. It's a faily mild distortion pedal, but great tone and you can make it heavier with an OD pedal before it. I use it with a Boss OS-2.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

A maxon OD808(the original tubescreamer Ibanez licensed if someone didn't know it) and a Marshall Echohead. Not the greatest delaypedal but it's ok and got it cheap secondhand.

For better or worse I went with EH and got the Muff and Metal Muff for distortion. I need to keep the cost down but I am thinking of TC Flashback or the simpler MXR delay. Don't think a reverb would be much good with no fx loop (happy to be set straight on that if wrong). I have a Dunlop 535Q which I'm really happy with for wah duties.

Starting to realise I have stumbled into an abyss. How the hell do you decide on a pedal? I can't try them all! Seems like there is only 'the buy on faith/reviews' or 'test the limited supply in my local guitar shop'.

You can build your own pedal of pretty much every type fairly cheaply. But the easiest way to approach it is to break them into categories and decide what you want out of that category.

i.e ..
Distortion - Metal/Shred, Blues, Rock, Fusion, octave, fuzz ...
Modulation - tremelo, phase, flange/chorus(even though they are echo)...
Filter - wah, auto wah, mutronish, stepper, eq ...
Pitch - harmonic, shifter, doubler, warbler ...
Ambient - reverb, echo, tape ...
general - compressor, gate, boost ...

Then realize that there are all kinds of combinations of these pedals. So, it's way easier to think in terms of "what sound do I want" and work backwards than it is to just look at all the pedals and pick out "the best". Most stuff is now fairly high quality. So, it's not like you can choose wrong, you would just choose wrong for you.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

One effect that stands out on my pedalboard is the wah. I tried an unconventional wah called the Weeping Demon by Ibanez. It has a long throw pedal giving more control over where you're at in your sweep.

I like to use the springback feature where it sits at the heel down position and as soon as I move the pedal it activates the wah, and then turns it off in less than a second after I let it return to it's heel down position.
It has several tone tweak knobs so you can get more traditional wah tones or you can make it a bit synthetic.

It's bigger than most wah's so that's a negative in that it can take up too much real estate on the board.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

I'm really happy with my wah. But I'd like the sprung off position feature. On the Dunlop it requires a heavy toe stomp to bypass. I ordered a TC Ditto Looper the other day. What need now is a delay and I'm torn between the all powerfull TC Flashback and the simplistic MXR Carbon copy delay.

Next on the list is the tuner. Probably a polytune mini but the Korg Pitchblack is cheaper and seems just as good albeit without the poly mode.

Will also start exploring options for chorus, reverb and maybe tremolo. Compression and noise gate may even get a look in.

my bugcrusher :love:

but you cant have one.

Have updated my original post to show what I have and what I'm thinking of getting. Feel free to give me some other options especially if they are cheaper, better ones :wink:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”