sE Munro Egg 150's. Bought.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you took four pairs home and then bought them off ebay that would be really bad. :uhuhuh:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

werp wrote:That company has made enough from me on guitars already 'he said innocently'
Yes true mate, but if you know anything about the UK retail climate it's horrendous.
A major chain closes down almost weekly. It's very sad to see history disappear (ie, Woolworths etc). I know thats still in Oz, but not here.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
werp wrote:That company has made enough from me on guitars already 'he said innocently'
Yes true mate, but if you know anything about the UK retail climate it's horrendous.
A major chain closes down almost weekly. It's very sad to see history disappear (ie, Woolworths etc). I know thats still in Oz, but not here.
The major supplier here went belly up earlier this year..200 odd stores closed nationwide. Now it's that much harder to chip a bit off a suggested rrp.

RIP Billy Hydes...another aussie icon gone.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:RIP Billy Hydes...another aussie icon gone.
Their prices were absolutely outrageous, though. I mean like the highest of the high. The odd time checked their site, I would leave immediately thinking GTFO. No wonder they could not compete.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

I would never have paid full price for anything from B H.....unless they made really good coffee whilst I was having a browse :-)
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:I would never have paid full price for anything from B H.....unless they made really good coffee whilst I was having a browse
True enough, but the website needs to reflect reality at least a little bit :lol:
... space is the place ...

Off to a meeting. BRB to answer additional advice.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
i know, where am i supposed to nick pick n mix from now? :cry:

vurt wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
i know, where am i supposed to nick pick n mix from now? :cry:
Odeon.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
DV247 closed all but one of its retail stores a couple of months ago, which is a great loss.

I browsed intensely for about 6 month for monitors.

My selection list:

#1. price range
#2. soundonsound reviews - not mentioned there, don't bother, kind of.
#3. abilities for room tuning.

Having switches for adjusting close to wall - maybe 150-300Hz adjustment, 2-4dB or so. Then ordinary low,mid, highs switches - +/- 4-5dB or so. Some have separate volume for tweeter and that will work as highs adjustment.

If not having enough room tuning stuff - you are vulnerable to the acoustic treatments to a higher degree. Maybe you will move and use another room for studio later - so being flexible is kind of vital here.

That list ruled it all down to max 2-3 possible products.

kritikon wrote:It depends on the store. I used to go to a studio supplier years back that would happily let you try gear out at home. I think they would have baulked at letting me take 4 sets of monitors though. But those kind of suppliers tend to get to know you - they certainly are a bit easier with regular customers. I never found more mainstream music stores to be quite as easy about it, and my supplier really wasn't set up as a straight retail outlet - it was dedicated to studio stuff only. Having said that - they had a well set up auditioning room, and its accoustics were far better than my own home studio, so I generally found it a better place to check out gear. My philosophy is that I want to know how it sounds in good conditions - your own room will have nodes so that you can't adequately judge the speakers at certain frequencies. You're going to have to compensate for your room anyway, so you may as well start out at the best position you can.(IMO)

A decent supplier will set up all 4 speakers at their showroom so that you can A/B them, so it's only a matter of taking in CDs that you know really well (and some of your own mixes that you know really well). I suspect you'll end up having to do it this way.
The supplier I'm looking at will indeed have an audition room. It is far from ideal though.

werp wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
The major supplier here went belly up earlier this year..200 odd stores closed nationwide. Now it's that much harder to chip a bit off a suggested rrp.

RIP Billy Hydes...another aussie icon gone.
Billy Hydes is gone :shock:
I spent thousands there over the years.

lfm wrote:I browsed intensely for about 6 month for monitors.

My selection list:

#1. price range
#2. soundonsound reviews - not mentioned there, don't bother, kind of.
#3. abilities for room tuning.

Having switches for adjusting close to wall - maybe 150-300Hz adjustment, 2-4dB or so. Then ordinary low,mid, highs switches - +/- 4-5dB or so. Some have separate volume for tweeter and that will work as highs adjustment.

If not having enough room tuning stuff - you are vulnerable to the acoustic treatments to a higher degree. Maybe you will move and use another room for studio later - so being flexible is kind of vital here.

That list ruled it all down to max 2-3 possible products.
Same selection criteria here actually.

Bugger it, my shortlist is:
- Genelec 8040
- Dynaudio BM6A MkII
- Adam A7X
- Focal CMS65

Mushy Mushy wrote:Same selection criteria here actually.

Bugger it, my shortlist is:
- Genelec 8040
- Dynaudio BM6A MkII
- Adam A7X
- Focal CMS65
Spooky - instead of Genelec I had KRK VXT 6 or 8 - otherwise the same. ;)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”